Jump to content
Herowannabe

TIE Reaper Shenanigans

Recommended Posts

Apologies if this has been talked about before, but I haven’t see anything about it. 

The TIE Reaper is a TIE, which means that it can take Twin Ion Engines, turning all of its bank maneuvers green. Advanced Ailerons forces it to perform a 1 straight or 1 bank maneuver, so that bank maneuver counts as being green, right? So you should be able to do something like this:

Scarif Base Pilot (25) - TIE Reaper
Systems Officer (2), Advanced Ailerons (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Dial in a bank maneuver and perform a bank maneuver with AA, and pass out up to 2 free target locks per round. 

Am I right? Or does this fall apart somewhere. Any other shenanigans that can be done with double green maneuvers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wording seems to check out.  Title does say "Immediately before you reveal your dial, if you are not stressed, you must execute a white (Left Bank 1), (Straight 1) or (Right Bank 1) maneuver."

This gets fun when you add in Quiz who can PTL off the target lock acquisition, green to clear, and still take an action at the end.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, viedit said:

This gets fun when you add in Quiz who can PTL off the target lock acquisition, green to clear, and still take an action at the end.   

That part doesn't work unfortunately, as Systems Officer lets you acquire a target lock, not take the target lock action.  On the upside though, that also means that stressed ships (or ships that otherwise can't take an action) can get a target lock from Systems Officer.

Edited by Jarval

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jarval said:

That part doesn't work unfortunately, as Systems Officer lets you acquire a target lock, not take the target lock action.  On the upside though, that also means that stressed ships (or ships that otherwise can't take an action) can get a target lock from Systems Officer.

 

Look at the wording on the title.  When you acquire a target lock, you may perform a free evade action.  You PTL off the evade technically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, viedit said:

 

Look at the wording on the title.  When you acquire a target lock, you may perform a free evade action.  You PTL off the evade technically.

Ooh, I'd not spotted that!  That's really neat! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cPU9Lv3.jpgh7xzmgl.jpg

Adv Ailerons says you must perform a white 1 left bank, 1 forward, or 1 right bank. I don't know the answer to this question, but is it possible that TIE Mk. II makes it impossible for you to do anything but a 1 forward with AA, since you cannot do a white bank anymore?

 

EDIT: Actually, I see TIE MkII says you may... so you can do white banks, but then you're not getting the System Officer Trigger. Does AA's requirement of "must do white" preclude the OP's suggested interaction?

Edited by Incard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Incard said:

cPU9Lv3.jpgh7xzmgl.jpg

Adv Ailerons says you must perform a white 1 left bank, 1 forward, or 1 right bank. I don't know the answer to this question, but is it possible that TIE Mk. II makes it impossible for you to do anything but a 1 forward with AA, since you cannot do a white bank anymore?

 

No, because AA is mandatory and Twin Ions are optional.  So Twin Ions give way to AA.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Incard said:

I like this find, and I am not against it working. If someone wanted to make a case that it's not allowed, however, they can do so with the "must execute a white..." language on AA.

I think the FAQ entry for R2 Astromech is a good place to start for it working as the OP suggests.

"If ship is ionized, R2 Astromech’s ability does make the white [forward 1] maneuver green."

The rules reference for ion:

"The owner moves the ship as if it were assigned a white [forward 1] maneuver"

This seems close enough to the AA/TIE Mk II combo to make me think it should work. :) 

Edited by Jarval

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been discussed elsewhere already, and AFAIK the consensus was that it works and you do get to dish out double Target Locks... should the necessary friendly ships be on the table at R1 of the appropriate points of your move.

I think it's a lot harder to actually pull off than it sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it funny that these situations start to feel like Supreme Court cases?

 

I'm personally against it, simply because I feel the Ailerons already provide enough of an advantage.  Rules-wise though, it seems to fit within the existing structure FFG has concocted (as convoluted as it is).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Is there a “check stress” step in a maneuver that isn’t part of your regular maneuver? Asking for a stressed friend.

No, and actually that's very interesting, and I've never thought of that before. It does not mean, however, that a Striker or a Reaper w/ TIE Mk.II could clear 2 stress in one turn, because they do not perform the AA maneuver when stressed. 

Edited by Incard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Incard said:

No, and actually that's very interesting, and I've never thought of that before. It does not mean, however, that a Striker or a Reaper w/ TIE Mk.II could clear 2 stress in one turn, because they do not perform the AA maneuver when stressed. 

I'm not 100% clear on when Snap Shot triggers, but a Striker or Reaper could potentially clear 2 stress in one turn as long as they're given sequentially.

 

AA across Debris Field --> Stress --> Green Maneuver

AA into Snap Shot/Stresszra --> Stress --> Green Maneuver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Incard said:

@bydand Although AA w/ TIE Mk.II probably counts as green, as far as I know, there is no "check stress" step for that maneuver, so there's no point at which a stress would be added or removed as a result of the color of the maneuver. 

Any maneuver with a color to it will apply or remove stress as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

Isn't it funny that these situations start to feel like Supreme Court cases?

I am reversing my original opinion on this.

I believe the "MUST execute a white..." is speaking of having to do the maneuver, NOT the color - even though the color is mentioned.  By precedent the emphasis on these cases are on the maneuver itself, not the color of the maneuver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Incard said:

@bydand Although AA w/ TIE Mk.II probably counts as green, as far as I know, there is no "check stress" step for that maneuver, so there's no point at which a stress would be added or removed as a result of the color of the maneuver. 

I disagree. Executing a maneuver involves three things: Moving the Ship, Checking Pilot Stress, and Clean Up. I don't see any reason why executing a maneuver prior to revealing your dial would impact how you actually execute things. That said, the whole debate is silly given you can't perform the AA maneuver if you're stressed. 

 

I do agree that Twin Ion should make AA green however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

It used to be that the check pilot stress was separate from execute maneuver steps. When the revised the rules for TFA core set, however, they reworded stuff so that stress was part of performing the maneuver. 

^This along with the clarifications we've had for Nien and R2 makes me think this works. It wouldn't have worked in the original rules, but the FAQ to the timing chart etc. allows for it. The wording definitely allows for it, so until we're told its not allowed, I'm going to treat it as legal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Madtheos said:

I disagree. Executing a maneuver involves three things: Moving the Ship, Checking Pilot Stress, and Clean Up. I don't see any reason why executing a maneuver prior to revealing your dial would impact how you actually execute things. That said, the whole debate is silly given you can't perform the AA maneuver if you're stressed. 

 

I do agree that Twin Ion should make AA green however.

I can't think of any useful ability which would trigger off the 'check pilot stress' step, given that as noted, the ailerons don't trigger if you're stressed, but yes, technically the step exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...