Sign in to follow this  
Dahawi

Cloud the Mind and Illustrious Plagiarist

Hi guys!

I have searched for this as I'm sure this must have come up, but I can't seem to find any of the discussions.

What happens if Illustrious Plagiarist (or I guess cards like Togashi Yokuni) trigger their action to gain the ability of another card and are then, before they use the gained ability, get Cloud The Mind attached to them? Does the fact that their text box is now blank mean they cannot use the gained actions, as nowhere on the original abilities does it say that they gain the text of the action they are copying. 

I can see it either way, but I and my brother could not agree in our game last night and some wisdom would be appreciated!

Cloud the Mind only affects printed text: gained abilities can still be used. "Printed" has a very literal meaning in FFG games: it refers only to what's actually written on the cards.

Thanks, this was the point I made. Do we know if there's an official or developer ruling to this effect? I think some of my opponents are still going to argue this until they see it written in black and white.

Straight from the reference:

Blank

If an ability causes a card's printed text box to be considered "blank," that text box is treated as if it did not have any of its printed Traits or card abilities. Text gained from another source is not blanked.

Printed

The word printed refers to the text, characteristic, icon, or value that is physically printed on the card.