hitpointhero

Its Landos Falcon

So that article came out for Landos Falcon and it shows Landos pilot skill/initiative at 4 and Hans at 6. I mean its Landos Falcon shouldn't Lando have the higher skill/initiative? So what do you think should Lando or Han be higher? 

I see no problem with (Young) Han Solo having the higher pilot skill, afterall he's still Han Solo; and in "Solo" he did show himself to easily be on of the best pilots in the galaxy; When Lando was the pilot L3-37 was more or less the navigator, but when Han was the pilot he literally did things Lando would've never done. I think (6 ~ Solo & 4 ~ Calrissan) is very fair. In this case fluff and film accurately depict thier respective pilot abilites.

And it was Lando's Falcon until Han decided it wasn't ?

Edited by Cgriffith

16 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I see no problem with (Young) Han Solo having the higher pilot skill, afterall he's still Han Solo; and in "Solo" he did show himself to easily be on of the best pilots in the galaxy; When Lando was the pilot L3-37 was more or less the navigator, but when Han was the pilot he literally did things Lando would've never done. I think (6 ~ Solo & 4 ~ Calrissan) is very fair. In this case fluff and film accurately depict thier respective pilot abilites.

And it was Lando's Falcon until Han decided it wasn't ?

lando-han-dice.gif

When you perform a barrel roll, if you would overlap a ship of a smaller size category, you may suffer one hit damage to cause the overlapped ship to suffer one hit damage. if the ship is destroyed, complete the roll.

17 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

Bit OTT.  We haven't exactly seen the majority of the galaxy's pilots have we?

I'll bite besides any force user pilot (Anakin/Vader, Luke, Rey etc.) I'd say he's the best and I think Lucasfilm has done more than a fine job portraying it as such. If there's someone whom isn't Force Sensitive who's better you'd be hard pressed to find them (I'd say Poe Dameron is the closest) and he Poe carries the same cockiness, and bravado as Han as well.

Edited by Cgriffith

4 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I'll bite besides any force user pilot (Anakin/Vader, Luke, Rey etc.) I'd say he's the best and I think Lucasfilm has done more than a fine job portraying it as such. If there's someone whom isn't Force Sensitive who's better you'd be hard pressed to find them (I'd say Poe Dameron is the closest) and he Poe carries the same cockiness, and bravado as Han as well.

Wedge!

Just now, Cgriffith said:

Poe has nothing on Wedge Antilles.

EDIT: Ninja'd by @MegaSilver!

Edited by GLEXOR

9 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

Wedge!

I don't think so. Like everything opinions vary. I'd take Han and Poe over him. You're right Poe can't hold a candle to Wedge; he can eliminate 10 Tie Fighters in 10 seconds, he can pin-point destroy osilators in a split second; control and defend, defeat against a squadron of TIE Fighters and then command a squadron both in the destruction of Starkiller Base, the Takodona Assault and if you read the comics he has more than showed himself to be the better pilot. I mean he literally sniped Stormtroopers on the ground mere feet from Han, Chewbacca and Finn. Pin-point accuracy.

Futhermore in "canon" Wedge Antilles can't hold a candle to Poe Dameron, let alone Han Solo

But opinions vary. 

Edited by Cgriffith

12 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I don't think so. Like everything opinions vary. I'd take Han and Poe over him. You're right Poe can't hold a candle to Wedge; he can eliminate 10 Tie Fighters in 10 seconds, he can pin-point destroy osilators in a split second; control and defend, defeat against a squadron of TIE Fighters and then command a squadron both in the destruction of Starkiller Base, the Takodona Assault and if you read the comics he has more than showed himself to be the better pilot. I mean he literally sniped Stormtroopers on the ground mere feet from Han, Chewbacca and Finn. Pin-point accuracy.

Futhermore in "canon" Wedge Antilles can't hold a candle to Poe Dameron, let alone Han Solo

But opinions vary. 

Once a really avid EU fan blocked me on Facebook when I pointed it out to him that Wedge did nothing but flew down in a straight line twice in the movies, and that the EU over mythicized random characters. 

Just now, Commander Kaine said:

Once a really avid EU fan blocked me on Facebook when I pointed it out to him that Wedge did nothing but flew down in a straight line twice in the movies, and that the EU over mythicized random characters. 

*Blocked*

JK, lol.

Well, Wedge was good enough to be Red 2, then Rogue 2, and no-one questioned him as Rogue Leader, or later as the leader of the re-formed Red Squadron for the battle of Endor. The sheer awesomeness of space battles such as Endor were only made less awesome be the early 1980's tech used to make the films. If the same movie were made today, Wedge would have been so much cooler on screen. The reason wedge survived either Death Star was his incredible skill. Luke would not have survived the Battle of Yavin without a combo of the force and Han Solo Ex Machina, who should have been obliterated by the DS defenses.

7 hours ago, Cgriffith said:

There’s a whole bloody galaxy - of course you’d be hard pressed to find them!

7 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

If it makes up story to back up the mythizizing then how is it *over*mythizizing?  The *over* only comes into it when you de-canonise those stories, surely?

4 hours ago, mazz0 said:

If it makes up story to back up the mythizizing then how is it *over*mythizizing?  The *over* only comes into it when you de-canonise those stories, surely?

The over part comes into play when a narrow cast of characters solve every problem in a galaxy. 

I've no doubt Wedge is a competent pilot. But I'm pretty sure that he wasn't meant to be the best pilot in the Galaxy, in the OT. 

19 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

But that's not true, though.

If that's what you said, you were deliberately downplaying Wedge's achievements to make a point you'd already decided in your head.

First of all, Wedge saves Luke's ***** *** early in the Battle of Yavin. No Wedge being awesome, no Luke to be the hero later.

Calling the trench run 'only flying in a straight line' is so diminishing I barely know where to start. You know that at least nine pilots did the same thing, right? And that seven of them died? Yes, there's an argument that Wedge gives up a little easy, and he's lucky Vader decides to let him go but still. He survived something that two very experienced pilots and squadron leaders couldn't (Dutch and Garven). 

He's one of only three pilots to survive Yavin. Out of thirty. 90% casualties and Wedge wasn't one of them. But sure. He 'only flew in a straight line'.

Then there's the part where you conveniently leave out that Wedge was the only Snowspeeder pilot who actually successfully defeated an AT-AT at Hoth. 

And again, Wedge is one of the only pilots who escapes the battle completely unscathed. Luke, Zev Senesca, Hobbie, half a dozen other pilots all shot down. So while Wedge might not be able to bend proton torpedoes down a shaft with his mind, he's two for two on either saving and equalling or downright outlasting Luke freakin' Skywalker. 

Then there's Endor, where he caually dispatches two Interceptors like it's nothing.

And this is just 'flying in a straight line'? Sure. And the Monaco Grand Prix is just driving a car on a road. 

8 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

The over part comes into play when a narrow cast of characters solve every problem in a galaxy. 

This is a hilarious comment when the series that really fleshed out Wedge also introduced a completely original character who many considered to be a Mary Sue. Also, it's fiction! Of course a limited series of characters are the focus of major storylines, that's why they're the main characters! 

8 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

I've no doubt Wedge is a competent pilot. But I'm pretty sure that he wasn't meant to be the best pilot in the Galaxy, in the OT. 

The selection is a little limited, granted, but in the OT Wedge is the best pilot shown outside of the Force users and Han. And even then, there's a very strong argument that he's at least the equal of, if not better than, Luke. Certainly, Wedge has more achievements in the cockpit than Luke. 

If you want to write a series of books around X-Wing pilots, then why wouldn't you use Wedge? 

How is making good use of the guy who survived two Death Stars in a series all about his role in the films 'over-mythicizing' (is that even a word?) him?