JPierson

Arkham Horror for Genesys

I would love this, but one worry I have is that FFG worked with Chaosium creating the Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion for Eldritch Horror: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/6/masks-of-nyarlathotep/. Genesys: Arkham Files might cut a little close to Call of Cthulhu. That doesn't mean a hard no; it's just something to think about.

Even looking at the example settings for Genesys, there's a notable absence. The Arkham Files universe offer some of FFG's largest products. Arkham Horror card game doesn't look like it's going away any time soon. The smart thing would be to make the example setting for Weird War (or equivalent) Arkham. The example setting wasn't that, it was Tannhauser. I think this points to not getting an Arkham setting anytime soon if at all.

A more likely option might be a Weird War source book with talents, rules, and items that could be adapted to the Arkham Files setting. The setting itself isn't exactly short on sources for lore.

My guess is that if there is an Arkham Horror setting for Genesys, it will be fan made.  I don't think that Fantasy Flight is going to step on the Call of Cthulhu RPG, especially since the seventh edition is so relatively fresh.

In some ways I think it's likely because it's a strong property for them with a lot of recognition. For that reason I would expect it before Tannhauser and the steampunk one. But it is a good point that they don't want to compete in that way with Call of Cthulu, because I understand that Chaosium is somewhat involved in the Arkham Files games. So hmm. I would love one, personally (see my avatar).

Edited by jackissocool

Perhaps it will simply be a “Horror Tone” book, lacking specifics of any setting, but with guidelines on integrating it into a setting. The bulk would then be new rules for things like insanity, as well as new talents and the like. I could see it being a $20 book rather than the Terrinoth size and price 

Edited by Richardbuxton

3 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

Just because Arkham Horror isn’t listed as a Setting doesn’t mean they won’t make a book for it. Supers isn’t a setting either but if they want this to be a long running product then they need to make a book that as well 

Difference is Fantasy Flight doesn't have a super hero setting to pull from that they could easily slot in as a setting. They do have Arkham to pull from and an extensive line of products to promote. They could have just slapped it into the book in place of Tannhauser, but they didn't and that was a choice. That plus the article in cooperation with Chaosium looks like it's not going to happen. As for long running product they've got plenty of places to go. Game will last just fine without dedicated Lovecraft.

For future supplements my money is on them going through the six example settings first. This coming from the fact that the only two supplements that have been confirmed so far have been the already released Terrinoth supplement and the forthcoming Android supplement. Both example settings from the book. The odd one out is going to be modern. I'm super happy with Realms of Terrinoth, but it is about 2/3 fluff. I'm betting Android will be the same. I don't see a big fluff book on the terrors of modern warzones, so perhaps Fantasy Flight will whip up a superhero setting for a modern source book.

A simple question that I don’t know how to find an answer to via internet search. Who owns the rights to Arkham Horror? And would an RPG in that specific setting be just a Call of Cthulu rpg, which I take it is an IP owned by someone else?

I cannot expect every book that FFG’s release for Genesys to be the same size and cost as Terrinoth, so what other books could they release that would be smaller and cheaper?

14 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

A simple question that I don’t know how to find an answer to via internet search. Who owns the rights to Arkham Horror? And would an RPG in that specific setting be just a Call of Cthulu rpg, which I take it is an IP owned by someone else?

I cannot expect every book that FFG’s release for Genesys to be the same size and cost as Terrinoth, so what other books could they release that would be smaller and cheaper?

I believe Fantasy Flight holds the license for Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror in regards to board games and LCGs (though, IMO, calling both the LCG and the board game by the same name lends to some confusion).  But, both are firmly set in the Lovecraftian mythos, just like the Call of Cthulhu RPG is (I am beginning to suspect that the reason why the LCG is not still called Call of Cthulhu is because of the RPG).

While I believe Lovecraft's works are in public domain, I still do not think that Fantasy Flight would try to release a Cthulhu based rules book while the Call of Cthulhu RPG is still going strong.  I think for the moment, Fantasy Flight is going to stick with the "universes" that it holds the licenses to outright (like Android and Tannhauser).

16 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

Well, Arkham Horror (1e) was released back in 1987.  FFG bought the rights to the game, and released a 2e version in 2005.  The mythos of H.P. Lovecraft, Robert W. Chambers, and their ilk are all in the public domain.  I would cite public domain as, "75 years after the works were first published," but then they changed it so that it couldn't laps while their creators were still alive - a feat more than one musician accomplished.  It was changed to X after their deaths (I think), but Disney has gone a long way to lobbying to ensure that their properties (notably Steamboat Willie (1928), which is the first appearance of Mickey Mouse) don't go into the public domain.  Regardless, all of the Cthulhu and Friends mythos settings and narrative elements are usable by anyone.  Stories (or games) written with them since, are not.  If you were to release a story that mirrored the elements and characters named in the first AH:LCG campaign, FFG could take you to court.

I do expect a Genesys: Arkham Horror in the next 18 months (at least to be announced).  I also think it, or possibly the upcoming Android Netrunner Genesys setting, will be what gets gamers to pick up the system.

I think there will be a little clash between Arkham Horror & Call of Cthulhu, but not too much.  Call of Cthulhu is astonishingly brutal, unless they backed off in the last 2 editions.  Surviving a single mission can be a herculean feat.  The system's unforgiving nature is more intense if you happen to glance something that makes you go insane.

Arkham Horror (both board and living-card games), Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness, and Elder Sign are all designed to be winnable.  To an extent greater than the CoC RPG.  I can imagine their players picking an AH sourcebook for ideas and fluff, but I highly doubt any of those players would leave CoC to play this instead.  I think some might try to wrangle in new players using it, but I don't expect much more than that.

I think a more direct competition would be the Fate edition of Achtung! Cthulhu (2014).  Which was only about The Secret War (WWII with Arkham Mythos).  I think as the system will be 'too light' and 'too easy' for Call of Cthulhu fans, it may be the right weight, or even a little heavier, for Fate Achtung! Cthulhu.  And I don't think they support the Fate version of that game anymore.

Could be wrong, but I think we'll see it soon-ish.

On 6/26/2018 at 9:19 PM, Chyrondave said:

I believe Fantasy Flight holds the license for Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror in regards to board games and LCGs (though, IMO, calling both the LCG and the board game by the same name lends to some confusion).  But, both are firmly set in the Lovecraftian mythos, just like the Call of Cthulhu RPG is (I am beginning to suspect that the reason why the LCG is not still called Call of Cthulhu is because of the RPG).

While I believe Lovecraft's works are in public domain, I still do not think that Fantasy Flight would try to release a Cthulhu based rules book while the Call of Cthulhu RPG is still going strong.  I think for the moment, Fantasy Flight is going to stick with the "universes" that it holds the licenses to outright (like Android and Tannhauser).

AFAIK, AH is FFG product currently. IPs of Lovecraftian works are interesting. Chaosium of course owns its Ctlhulhu related stuff. Lovecraft's book are largely seen as public domain, even though there is (or at least was) some dispute whether someone still owns them. E.g. Derleth (Arkham house) claimed he owned all Lovecraft's copyrights. Wikipedia page about matter gives AFAIK fairly good and interesting summary about that mess. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft#Copyright)

On 6/26/2018 at 10:56 PM, Duciris said:

I think there will be a little clash between Arkham Horror & Call of Cthulhu, but not too much.  Call of Cthulhu is astonishingly brutal, unless they backed off in the last 2 editions.  Surviving a single mission can be a herculean feat.  The system's unforgiving nature is more intense if you happen to glance something that makes you go insane.

Call of Cthulhu 7th edition has two gaming modes, normal (the deadly) and Pulp, which is so much more forgiving.

Personally I'm not sure if Genesys is the best system for Cthulhu games. For pulp games it probably would work, but I personally probably wouldn't use it for purist games, where focus isn't in cinematic action, but more in "can I survive?" or "how will I perish?".

I started doing a Genesys conversion for my favourite horror game, but quit because I came to a conclusion that changing the system to Genesys would change the spirit of the original game too much. Of course, very much of how suitable Genesys is, depends on personal preferences.