Snickett

Hammerhead Corvette, Tabletop Scale

That single peg setup makes me nervous. I've never handled/seen 3D printed ships in person before, are they drastically lighter than the usual FFG models? 

I'm a little curious if in practice that Hammerhead will wobble/fall off its stand during use especially during movements.

49 minutes ago, darkdooku said:

That single peg setup makes me nervous. I've never handled/seen 3D printed ships in person before, are they drastically lighter than the usual FFG models? 

I'm a little curious if in practice that Hammerhead will wobble/fall off its stand during use especially during movements.

There's two peg holes on the model. I just put in one for the photo.

14 hours ago, Snickett said:

There's two peg holes on the model. I just put in one for the photo.

My mistake. On closer inspection, I do see the front peg mount now.

Model does look sweet, by the way.

Posted (edited)

I know this is an older post, but I found the Hammerhead on Thingyverse and I'm seriously considering to print it through Treatstock (I don't have a printer myself; so I'm hoping their default PLA-FDM works correctly).

I'm wondering if the model will fit on a 2.0 huge ship base (from the conversion kit), or if I need to modify the STL file Hammerhead-Tabletop2.stl to move the peg forward/backward.

Hopefully someone can still help :)

Edited by LeeCHeSSS
3dhubs is not cheap :)

I printed mine a while ago.  I just haven't put it together yet.  I can check later to make sure, but I believe it was sized to fit the same base as the  gr75 transport.  If you're in Canada I have a 3d printing company and would gladly print one for you.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:08 PM, Tervlon said:

It's a great model. Really pleased with how mine turned out. 
Uqs2wUj.jpeg

My print has completed (it'll be shipped to me soon I hope); the photo's I was provided made me think that I probably will have to sand the models to get a similar result as yours. Did you do any sanding, and if so, do you have tips?

3 hours ago, LeeCHeSSS said:

My print has completed (it'll be shipped to me soon I hope); the photo's I was provided made me think that I probably will have to sand the models to get a similar result as yours. Did you do any sanding, and if so, do you have tips?

Yes! This is a great question. There will be print lines, so something needs to be done to clean it up. I attempted to sand it, it was the WORST. First, it took forever and I was getting nowhere. Second, I had uneven sanding that started to remove or flatten details. 

Here's what I did: I glued the ship together and applied 3-4 coats of Matte Varnish (Polyurethane Matte Varnish available at a craft store for $1-2) This fills the lines and smooths the surface. A huge problem with 3D printed models is that the print (especailly huge, hollow, PLA prints) soak in the paint like crazy! With the varnish I was able to both smooth out the lines and create a shell to paint on so that I saved a ton of paint. 

Good luck! Painting these ships is a real process. It can take awhile. I'm on my third 3d printed epic ship and each one has taken me months to do, but it is always worth it!

Oh and here's what I've been using for stats. I've played a couple games with it and it has been pretty balanced.
s3qcQoz.png

ce8E1RB.png

3 hours ago, Tervlon said:

I'm on my third 3d printed epic ship and each one has taken me months to do, but it is always worth it!

Which other ships did you print (I've been searching/scouring thingiverse and etsy for more custom epic ships)?

I am actually going to use this Sphyrna-class as a drop-in replacement (so no made up stats that other players could complain about), just because I don't like the CR90 model enough to buy it.

I also am less excited about the raider (the bridge design is lackluster, and the colour is bland - especially when you place it next to the awesome gozanti) 

22 hours ago, LeeCHeSSS said:

Which other ships did you print (I've been searching/scouring thingiverse and etsy for more custom epic ships)?

I am actually going to use this Sphyrna-class as a drop-in replacement (so no made up stats that other players could complain about), just because I don't like the CR90 model enough to buy it.

I also am less excited about the raider (the bridge design is lackluster, and the colour is bland - especially when you place it next to the awesome gozanti) 

Besides the Hammerhead, I have done the DP-20 Corellian Gunship and am working on the Arquitens now. I just need to figure a base out for the Arquitens now.

pChqhcs.jpeg

fMJK4Ye.jpg

Loose scale comparison before painting the Arquitens:
mVwqdYj.jpg

Pretty awesome, but that humongous Arquitens is definitely not the scale I can get away with (both on the playmat and within eyesight of my wife :P).

I am curious about the STL files for the gunship though, can you share them?

3 hours ago, LeeCHeSSS said:

Pretty awesome, but that humongous Arquitens is definitely not the scale I can get away with (both on the playmat and within eyesight of my wife :P).

I am curious about the STL files for the gunship though, can you share them?

Haha, it is huge and it has been a ton of work! I added all of the panels after hand cutting an gluing about 385 pieces... 

Gunship files are here. All of the panels needed to be handcut as the print is pretty basic. I scaled the model to be a bit smaller iirc. I also needed to scale down the inner tube pieces to like 85-90% compared to the others. I can't remember exactly. 

Ah, I already found that version on thingiverse, but saw so many differences I assumed it wasn't the files you used :)

I guess I'll keep looking to find another cool capital ship to add to my collection (for now the Gozanti and unfinished Sphyrna-class look cool enough in my cabinet :P)

Btw, am I seeing it correctly that you used magnets to attach guns to the models?

11 minutes ago, LeeCHeSSS said:

Ah, I already found that version on thingiverse, but saw so many differences I assumed it wasn't the files you used :)

I guess I'll keep looking to find another cool capital ship to add to my collection (for now the Gozanti and unfinished Sphyrna-class look cool enough in my cabinet :P)

Btw, am I seeing it correctly that you used magnets to attach guns to the models?

Yes, all guns are magnetic. It makes storage, transportation, and mods a lot easier!