KILODEN

Release Schedule????

Maybe I am spoiled from X-wing. But I am not playing or collecting rebels so I must wait through 2 or three releases to get more imperials? Don't they think this might put people off of this game? the new fleet troopers hit like a ton of bricks and there really is no counter to that.

Again, maybe because I'm use to the x-wing release method I expected to get things at the same time.

56 minutes ago, KILODEN said:

Maybe I am spoiled from X-wing. But I am not playing or collecting rebels so I must wait through 2 or three releases to get more imperials? Don't they think this might put people off of this game? the new fleet troopers hit like a ton of bricks and there really is no counter to that.

Again, maybe because I'm use to the x-wing release method I expected to get things at the same time.

Legion has new releases coming roughly once a month, versus X-wing’s 2-3 releases a year. 

Also, the staggered release schedule gives you time to adapt and learn how to counter things with what you have BEFORE breaking out the new shiny stuff, which I think is very healthy for the meta. Plus the meta is constantly shifting and evolving, so there’s not really time for it to become stagnant. 

6 hours ago, KILODEN said:

I think getting new releases every month vastly outweighs not having both factions in every release. So in the same 12 month period where for x-wing you'd get (typically) 2 new ships for each faction, each faction for Legion is getting between 4-12 new units. PLUS you don't have to buy every release to get the cards you need for competitive builds, unlike V1 of X-Wing. 

The staggered release also makes it easier for FFG to avoid the supply issues that have plagued their other miniature games, and makes it easier on the wallets of those of us that want to buy everything (because Star Wars).

The issue is the new imp stuff isn't even "At the Printer" while the new rebel stuff is "on the boat". Imps got spoiled at first with the quick releases. If the Upcoming page is to believed (not always reliable) the rebels will see 4 releases and then a couple of months more before the imps get another unit. However they did say Boba and the scout troopers will be released in Q3, so by the end of Sept.  This makes releases once every 4 months or so, more like X-wing, expect that the time between the last two X-Wing releases was 6 months. I believe the stagger release has to do more with FFG just wanting to get out as many SKUs as possible for this game as fast as possible. It is possible we will see balanced releases in the future though they don't do that for Rune Wars.

59 minutes ago, Mep said:

I believe the stagger release has to do more with FFG just wanting to get out as many SKUs as possible for this game as fast as possible. It is possible we will see balanced releases in the future though they don't do that for Rune Wars.

I think that's right. We've already seen that the latest announcement included both a Rebel and Imperial emplacement trooper. I'm betting the releases will eventually slow down and settle into paired waves, but we just don't know yet.

5 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

i didn't miss them i just don't really want them, they seem completely rubbish. Being more expensive and not having any decent ranged heavy weapon. 

Yeh their aim, move, shoot is pretty rubbish, along with move, shoot, move.

If they had been out at launch I would have skipped regular stormtroopers entirely.

play with whats available and learn the game....its looks like some of you guys only meta game and have no interest in learning strategy or how to adapt units to different roles....just because you dont know how to use the units doesn't mean they are rubbish...just your play style is..

i really dont get some of the complaining about this game and trying to reach long and hard to connect games of totally different mechanics .....

holy Christ on a cracker guys, you would think none of you have ever been stuck with a level 1 pre-made character in an RPG game

some of you  need to understand what it is to fail to really understand the advantages to a unit that "isn't to your liking"

2 hours ago, Jukey said:

Yeh their aim, move, shoot is pretty rubbish, along with move, shoot, move.

If they had been out at launch I would have skipped regular stormtroopers entirely.

yep 6 white dice with 2 rerolls is quite rubbish, the flame thrower is their only utility imo

Edited by Darth evil

1 hour ago, Darth evil said:

yep 6 white dice with 2 rerolls is quite rubbish, the flame thrower is their only utility imo

Just to be clear, I really enjoy snowtroopers in play. I had some misgivings when looking at them on paper, but they are pretty great.

As for the release system, it's all coming really fast for now because the game is baby fresh new, if this rate isn't fast enough that's unfortunate, because I can guarantee the release schedule will slow down not far down the road. FFG likes to drop a lot of content and then ease back (at least that's the trend).

I honestly feel we have gotten quite a lot for this game in a relatively short time frame. A lot of anticipation is just waiting for the "Upcoming" page to be accurately updated. Some of the problem lies in the "boats" getting through customs and the cargo being released. The boats with product coming from China and neighboring countries pretty much have only one location they ship to the U.S.A. from and they do not leave until they are COMPLETELY full. 

FFG has been pushing product for this game rather quickly and with release of the cannons I believe we will see a break in the distribution schedule. I think most players issue of dissatisfaction with the units so far is due to play style.

I am so glad the "Third Faction" threads have died down. 

I will admit I am a little disappointed that the Priority Supplies hadn't released along side the barricades and that FFG waited so long to add bases for the miniatures. Also the 30th Anniversary edition of the Star Wars Role Playing Game is being released on the 31st Anniversary and has been "on the boat" for the good part of a year.

A lot of companies could solve this by bringing jobs back to America and eliminating unreliable status updates. I would much rather see "On the truck" than "On the boat".

Edited by C3POFETT

8 hours ago, Darth evil said:

Yeah... except the flamethrower is fantastic.

It’s ok to be a one trick pony, if it’s a really good trick.

They’re also better at advancing and laying down suppression than storms.  Two speed 1 moves is the same as a speed 3 move, and they aren’t slowed by difficult terrain.  So they actually cover more ground than storms do if you want to be advancing and shooting every turn.

Impact Grenades make them far from 1 trick.  They need to get to range 1 to do their job, but they are easily the most capable unit of doing so in the game outside of the speeders that really don't WANT to be at range 1.  Beyond being slightly faster on the move shoot, being able to move and shoot while suppressed is pretty huge and makes getting to range 1 far easier than it seems.

Edited by LunarSol

40 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

Impact Grenades make them far from 1 trick.  They need to get to range 1 to do their job, but they are easily the most capable unit of doing so in the game outside of the speeders that really don't WANT to be at range 1.  Beyond being slightly faster on the move shoot, being able to move and shoot while suppressed is pretty huge and makes getting to range 1 far easier than it seems.

This is what i found to be their greatest strength.  The ability to keep pushing down the field even suppressed with offensive capabilities.  Besides commanders, having any suppression on you currently prevents moving and shooting due to losing an action.  Being able to have a unit continue to move and shoot with suppression on it is huge.

the delayed deplyment card allowed me to use my one unit of snowies to great affect...i have used them 3 times against the same opponent and even though they move slowly they sure do intimidate other units enough they are worth taking atleast one unit...i had used two last game and i had grenades and a flamthrower but and was making headway untill that **** farm boy charged them (i made a poor activation choice )and basicly i lost both squads rather quickly (except for trooper tk-707..he ran away, chicken) buuuuut the center of the table did get cleared out of rebel scum before their demise....i like'em...slow creeping white death (if i use my activation correctly)

Snowies with a Flametrooper do a **** fine job, even if the flamer is never fired.

Until the unit dies, it's a big threat. It can be used for area denial or managing threat. They get focused on pretty hard if they're nearby because of their brutal dmg output.
You can park these guys in cover, watching an objective with a standby/aim tokens and dare infantry to come close.

At range 1 with grenades and a flamer, against a full squad they can roll 11 black dice. In a perfect world they'd also have an aim from Veers for another re-roll.
They can be behind hard LOS breaking cover. Speed 1 move out into the open, fire on a target with their Steady keyword, then move back into their cover.

They have situations where they absolutely shine. They have their downfalls of course and if you don't want to run them, that's fine. It's just one tool in the toolbox

On 6/26/2018 at 6:24 AM, Contrapulator said:

I think that's right. We've already seen that the latest announcement included both a Rebel and Imperial emplacement trooper. I'm betting the releases will eventually slow down and settle into paired waves, but we just don't know yet.

I hope not, I am getting on top of my painting and once I have the ability to slowly purchase and paint what trickles out is fantastic.

If the balance issue is a concern for tournament play all that needs to be done is not allow Han and the Rebel Commandos until Boba and the Scouts come out. As long as their is a clear pairing of releases this is doable.