Sign in to follow this  
Mackaywarrior

We are about to have 4+ X-Wing Formats

So I will admit, I was VERY hesitant about 2.0 but I am cautiously optimistic at this point. What I would like is for FFG to promise they aren't going to make a 3.0 but I know that is asking the impossible. However, we are about to have 4 X-Wing Formats and that is pretty exciting.

1) Classic - This will be all the people who want to play the original X-Wing 1.0. It will be a legacy format just for fun that the seasoned veterans will play from time to time to remember the good ole days (or not so good)

2) 2.0 - Pretty self-explanatory

3) Frontier Format - People using 1.0 and 2.0 ships whenever they want. We are talking classic Biggs in a 1.0 X-Wing flying with Two Tubes in a 2.0 X-Wing. Mixing and matching and playing a completely wild game. But man will it be a lot of fun!

4) Atari Cluster

And of course, X-Wing Epic will be able to use these formats as well. This type of variety in formats is what keeps MTG so big. I predict a long life for X-Wing and a lot of variety at X-Wing night.

7 minutes ago, Mackaywarrior said:

So I will admit, I was VERY hesitant about 2.0 but I am cautiously optimistic at this point. What I would like is for FFG to promise they aren't going to make a 3.0 but I know that is asking the impossible. However, we are about to have 4 X-Wing Formats and that is pretty exciting.

1) Classic - This will be all the people who want to play the original X-Wing 1.0. It will be a legacy format just for fun that the seasoned veterans will play from time to time to remember the good ole days (or not so good)

3) Frontier Format - People using 1.0 and 2.0 ships whenever they want. We are talking classic Biggs in a 1.0 X-Wing flying with Two Tubes in a 2.0 X-Wing. Mixing and matching and playing a completely wild game. But man will it be a lot of fun!

4) Atari Cluster

And of course, X-Wing Epic will be able to use these formats as well. This type of variety in formats is what keeps MTG so big. I predict a long life for X-Wing and a lot of variety at X-Wing night.

I like you optimism.  I'm a likely candidate for the Frontier Format.  But I think I'll stick with the Aturi Cluster format.

Image result for atari space invaders

12 minutes ago, Mackaywarrior said:

4) Atari Cluster

Say what? :O :O 

That sounds like an utterly unenjoyable experience. 

Also, you forgot some. 

A), 2.0 New releases, where the Conversion kit is not legal. 

And

B), 2.0 Everything (where conversion kits are legal) 

Unless, if the A option is what you meant by frontier format... In which case you should rephrase that. 

1 minute ago, Commander Kaine said:

Say what? :O :O 

Also, you forgot some. 

A), 2.0 New releases, where the Conversion kit is not legal. 

And

B), 2.0 Everything (where conversion kits are legal) 

Unless, if the A option is what you meant by frontier format... In which case you should rephrase that. 

No, I meant using 1.0 and 2.0 ships where everything under the sun of X-Wing is legal. Didn't even think of 2.0 without conversion kit. I just lumped 2.0 in with new ship releases and conversion kits.

It is not unheard of the people opt to play older versions of a game when they are displeased with the direction of new versions. 

I know that there was a core of diehards playing 40k Rogue Trader or WFB 3rd ed. for MANY years after they were updated (perhaps even today, 30 yrs after these versions were officially abandoned).  However, those games updated into very different experiences. 40k RT ran like a RPG/TT hybrid.  WFB 3rd was akin to more detailed historical wargaming than what came afterward.  

XW 2.0 looks more like a cleaned up and rebalanced 1.0 and less like a different kind of game experience outright.  I infer that many 2.0 haters would simply go with it if there were no new purchases invloved. 

I for one am glad the devs opted for the reboot.  I think it is silly that people think a company should put all the resources behind game development, graphic design, testing, etc. and not have some way to make money off of it; not just cover costs, but padded with at least a little profit margin. These are not gentlemen hobbyists; its a job.  

I think you might be a little over-optimistic on the "Frontier format", as I'm pretty sure that's defined as 'a broken mess'.

Still, stranger things have happened.

But yeah, a non-conversion, released-waves-only 2.0 is a markedly more likely prospect.

2 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

Yeah, that's what I think about XWM: Death in a Sandbox.

1 hour ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

XW 2.0 looks more like a cleaned up and rebalanced 1.0 and less like a different kind of game experience outright.  I infer that many 2.0 haters would simply go with it if there were no new purchases invloved. 

For me, that's a big part of the problem.  It's just the same lame format, with old ships assigned new abilities.

So, it's not about the cash; it's about the value.  I can play fun games of X-Wing without buying a new ruleset.

25 minutes ago, Reiver said:

I think you might be a little over-optimistic on the "Frontier format", as I'm pretty sure that's defined as 'a broken mess'.

Still, stranger things have happened.

Eh, not if you're careful and creative.

I can take Iden Verso, halve her cost, and jiggle her Init back to PS.  I just got a new 1.0 TIE pilot.

I can run my old 1.0 X-Wings but use the 2.0 dial from the Renegade's pack.

I can buy the Lando Falcon and just use the model with the 1.0 rules.  Again, maybe I use the dial if it is different than the 1.0 dial.

I can use the improved 2.0 A-Wing to stand in as the Resistance upgrade until such a thing actually exists.

I can let 1.0 Vader and Inquisitor have the Force abilities from 2.0 even if everything else is 1.0.

I can take 2.0's lead and ban TLT, VI, Adaptability, and Bomblet Generator from my 1.0 games.

I can take 2.0's lead and make all PWTs rotate-only.

I can make all ships medium-based where required and fly them all with the 1.0 rules.

I can use the App and then just use the inferior 1.0 dials and not have to buy any conversion kits.

Edited by Darth Meanie

ahem*-_-

We have a lot more than 4 formats.

Now if you want to just include official formats for one HotAC is not an official format (even though it is a very good fan made format). So before 2.0 we have

1. Casual (no errata printe on cards etc)
  2. Missions (casual)
  3. Competitive/Premier (I put them into 2 categories)
  4. System Open (another official competive format run by FFG-OP)
  5. Escalation  
  6. Epic Dogfight
  7. Team-Epic

Now with 2.0 we can assume Premier will replace the old one but there is a casual that uses Threat levels. So far the announced 2.0 formats are:

1. Casual (threat level, pre build cards)
  2. Competitive Standard/Premier (Requires FFG App)

Heck I have my own format which his an alternative to list building to include some faction mixing. I am going to have to alter it with 2.0 and the hard split of the Resistance/1stOrder from the Alliance/Empire. Might even work to future proof it for when the clone wars factions come out (there is at least 3 waves of ships in that era alone).