Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DanteRotterdam

Phydolon

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Is this serious? Because I think we are spoiled for choice to be honest. 

Yeah, I was being serious.  You mentioned there were a lot of other races they could have put in instead, I was just curious.  I too feel like there's a lot of options and that mechanically I don't see any deficient areas, yet it's easy to think that I haven't considered everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, General Zod said:

Yaccarus started the list of preferred races to design before making their own.  I'd also add Nagai and Zygerrian

It's great that Yaccarus has a list and that you do too.  I wonder how many other people share that list, in that order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love made up species.  Back in the West End days I rarely played an established species, I just made something up.  I don't see anything wrong with it.  Many of the currently established and canon species were created by the West End RPG or a random book author.  Todays rando invented species might be the established and favored race of the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nothing being `made up or ignored the Mouse didn't greenlight.  I also think if FFG was to do something smart with alien species it would be to include a chart(s) with some guidelines for creating homebrew species that are fairly balanced, although I don't view the races as a big deal since any mechanical variations rapidly disappear with accrued xp. In the end if a PCs racial choice resonates at the table it's because of their RPG efforts and not game mechanics. Point being I've never understood the need to have game mechanics for each race since they really don't  matter mechanically all that much. I always told my guys you see a piece of art you like for a race make the fluff and we'll slap that skin on an existing race's mechanics n call it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2018 at 2:38 PM, themensch said:

It's great that Yaccarus has a list and that you do too.  I wonder how many other people share that list, in that order?

More people would play noghri than this nobody, more people would play jawa, probably also tusken, and regardless of if they would or not, ewoks. 

If ffg stats any more forgettable races without taking on jawa, tusken and ewok I'll be pissed. They statted gungan i get to have my ******* ewok for ******* sake!

 

 

Edited by TheShard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Split Light said:

I love made up species.  Back in the West End days I rarely played an established species, I just made something up.  I don't see anything wrong with it.  Many of the currently established and canon species were created by the West End RPG or a random book author.  Todays rando invented species might be the established and favored race of the future.

Sorry those days are past. The rpg added so much because it was all their was besides the movies and maybe a single book. They alone held the fire of fandom, and thus shaped the experience of fans so much that the books drew ftom it. However now its firmly in the hands of the mouse, for better or for worse, no rpg will out media that. Most fans well never rpg, and probably never hear about it. And besides fantaflight dice... The rpg's days of influence are over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

Phydolon... I totally missed that LOL... as always late to the party (and always last one to leave ?)

Passing out in the bath tub doesn't count....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Split Light said:

I love made up species.  Back in the West End days I rarely played an established species, I just made something up.  I don't see anything wrong with it.  Many of the currently established and canon species were created by the West End RPG or a random book author.  Todays rando invented species might be the established and favored race of the future.

For 3e Gamma World I had a sentient tomato plant.... the PCs never went hungry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Passing out in the bath tub doesn't count....

IT WAS YOU.... years ago i woke in a bath tub on a Saturday morning, someone had placed a pillow under my head and a duvet over me to keep me warm. Cheers, I owe you one :D  I reckon it was one of the ladeeezat the party, any of my mates would have turned the shower on :D

Edited by ExpandingUniverse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

IT WAS YOU.... years ago i woke in a bath tub on a Saturday morning, someone had placed a pillow under my head and a duvet over me to keep me warm. Cheers, I owe you one :D  I reckon it was one of the ladeeezat the party, any of my mates would have turned the shower on :D

Not it. I would've written non PC derogatory comments on your forehead with a Sharpie....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, themensch said:

It's great that Yaccarus has a list and that you do too.  I wonder how many other people share that list, in that order?

They were in no particular order.

Also, I don’t really care what species FFG puts out now that I have the CSG. All I was doing was commenting on “Warrior” possibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TheShard said:

More people would play noghri than this nobody, more people would play jawa, probably also tusken, and regardless of if they would or not, ewoks.

Well now, that's a matter of opinion.  That said, I wouldn't mind seeing stats for all three of those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

They were in no particular order.

Also, I don’t really care what species FFG puts out now that I have the CSG. All I was doing was commenting on “Warrior” possibilities.

Yeah I don't really care either, but some people do and I was curious how they'd have done it if they were in charge of the book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TheShard said:

Sorry those days are past. The rpg added so much because it was all their was besides the movies and maybe a single book. They alone held the fire of fandom, and thus shaped the experience of fans so much that the books drew ftom it. However now its firmly in the hands of the mouse, for better or for worse, no rpg will out media that. Most fans well never rpg, and probably never hear about it. And besides fantaflight dice... The rpg's days of influence are over.

While the influence isn't as extensive as it was, true, FFG has left its mark. The Raider is the prime example; they designed it with Lucasfilm, and the ship was later used in novels and Star Wars: Lootboxes Battlefront 2. Most everything they add is at least going to be filtered through Lucasfilm. The Phydolon's creation is probably for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we sure the Phydolons aren't some new background species from one of the recent movies? Or a random species from one of the comics or novels? I agree that it would be unusual for FFG to create a species from whole cloth. The only one they've created from scratch is the Sathari, and they were made for an adventure. The next most obscure species is probably the Kellerans, but they are from a comic book, not an original creation. I'd suspect he Phydolons have some established role in the films or fiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

I hope I don’t sound like that but if I did then so be it. For me there is no reason to make up a new species when there dozens of existing species that have not had the FFG treatment yet. 

She wasn't nearly as whiny about it, but instead was remarking that based upon her group's preferences for character appearances, a lot of what FFG was publishing before F&D came out simply wasn't of use to her group who preferred species that had a more human-looking appearance but didn't have stats (Togruta and Zabraks for instance) at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 9:26 PM, General Zod said:

I’m annoyed by them introducing their own race.  There were plenty of other races from canon or legends that would have been great, foremost imo would have been the Echani.

They've got a decent entry in The Complete Species Guide ( https://drive.google.com/open?id=13WjhGdiMcoH7RvRJGod1QMM4W5HZjg-x )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:09 PM, TheShard said:

More people would play noghri than this nobody, more people would play jawa, probably also tusken, and regardless of if they would or not, ewoks. 

If ffg stats any more forgettable races workout talking on jawa, tusken and ewok I'll be pissed. They statted gungan i get to have my ******* ewok for ******* sake!

 

 

FFG has been weirdly resistant to providing stats for species from the original trilogy that were shorter than normal and never speak Galactic Basic on screen.  No Jawas, no Ewoks, no Ugnaughts, and no Gamorreans.  It feels too consistent to be a coincidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...