Sign in to follow this  
DanteRotterdam

Phydolon

The Phydolon are new to the galactic stage, as their world was only recently discovered. Deeply spiritual, these people loathe to leave the collective of their home planet, but with the galaxy opened before them it may be time to find something larger than themselves in the Force.”

As per the news item about Knights of Fate.  I googled the species but found nothing. Are we getting the second FFG invented species? I don’t know how I’d feel about that to be honest...

In the announcement article for Knights of Fate, there's an image on two people dueling in the rain.  The big one with the large eyes and the blue 'saber is a phydolon.

I tried linking the image, but it didn't work so well :( .

Edited by Absol197

10 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I’m annoyed by them introducing their own race.  There were plenty of other races from canon or legends that would have been great, foremost imo would have been the Echani.

I'm guessing they wouldn't have added them without the direct approval of Lucasfilm. They have also added species in the past at the behest of their overlords, so this can also be that as well.

27 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I’m annoyed by them introducing their own race.  There were plenty of other races from canon or legends that would have been great, foremost imo would have been the Echani.

Echani, Abyssin, Barabel, Frenk, Kaleesh, Noghri, Dathomirian, Togorian...

10 hours ago, themensch said:

Why's that?

Because there are a lot of races I still want to see and this took up a slot. 

Also I wonder who would be interested in playing this race or any race that is not in any of the movies/shows/novels. 

Edited by DanteRotterdam

In addition, I prefer species with planets that can be found on the altas. It seems like more than half of the species in the books introduced this year do not have coordinates associted with their homeworld. Just a personal preference, but I like to know where things are.

5 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Also I wonder who would be interested in playing this race or any race that is not in any of the movies/shows/novels. 

Truthfully, I'm sure there are plenty of folks that read the entry and love/want to play it.  More power to them.  In the end, I can voice my opinion here.  Overall, I think it's a solid book.  The specs are interesting and fun, love the great lightsaber hilt, the section on the various lightsaber forms is awesome.  Only part I don't like is the race selection, and that is 100% because I had personal expectations about it.  

I probably wouldn't have been as annoyed by it if it didn't come as a "SURPRISE!!! HERE ARE THE RACES!!" the day I bought it.  Should I have waited for the articles? Maybe, but I haven't read the new ones so I don't know if they mention the races.

5 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

This sounds a good bit like Maelora's complaint about the "non-pretty" species, be they from the films or other media, with her wondering who would play such "ugly" species as Ithorians, Gand, or the bulk of the AoR splatbook species.  Granted, her play group leaned towards the "pretties" such as Humans, Chiss, Twi'leks, and Togruta, so with regards to her players it's a valid point of concern that most of the species FFG has presented would never see play in their circle of gamers.

To that end, there's always going to be players that are going to lean to some of the odder species out there, just as there are D&D players who opt out of the standard Human/Elf/Dwarf/Halfling options and prefer less common races such as Gnomes, Half-Orcs, Dragonborn, Hobgoblins, or Genasi for whatever reason (some do it to powergame, some do it for the RP challenge, some do it for a mix of the two).

7 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Fair enough.  What races should they have put in? 

If the race was interesting enough, I could think of lots of people that would like to play it, regardless of its canon-ness.  But I concede that there are those that would not. 

4 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

This sounds a good bit like Maelora's complaint about the "non-pretty" species, be they from the films or other media, with her wondering who would play such "ugly" species as Ithorians, Gand, or the bulk of the AoR splatbook species. 

I hope I don’t sound like that but if I did then so be it. For me there is no reason to make up a new species when there dozens of existing species that have not had the FFG treatment yet. 

4 hours ago, kaosoe said:

I love new content. Every time a edition comes out or the license changes hands, that means another retread of the same stuff. It gets tiring.

Yeah... this hardly seems like an appropriate complaint seeing it hasn’t happened that often yet. Then again your opinion (of course) is valid. 

4 hours ago, General Zod said:

Truthfully, I'm sure there are plenty of folks that read the entry and love/want to play it.

I really don’t think there are to be honest. 

Now Jawa on the other hand (maybe not in this particular book though)...

3 hours ago, themensch said:

Fair enough.  What races should they have put in? 

If the race was interesting enough, I could think of lots of people that would like to play it, regardless of its canon-ness.  But I concede that there are those that would not. 

Yaccarus started the list of preferred races to design before making their own.  I'd also add Nagai and Zygerrian 

14 hours ago, Yaccarus said:

Echani, Abyssin, Barabel, Frenk, Kaleesh, Noghri, Dathomirian, Togorian...