I'm not saying that I'm not picking this up, but here's the price tag:

Subtotal $99.95
Est. Shipping $16.53
Est. Tax $9.17
Total $125.65

I live 3 hours from FFG's terrestrial HQ, so the shipping total is based on that lovely nearness.  If you don't live in Minnesota, do you have to pay the tax?  'Cause I have a friend who lives 20 miles away in ND.

Edited by Duciris
left out a word

I get internal server error when I try to open the pre-order link.. are you guys able to get in?

Also, the game is listed as 'free to play' on steam, so.. this is just for the physical stuff and a few days (? weeks? ) of early playtime, right?

Looks like only 2 new hero cards, and they'll become available in regular products, so no need to buy this for the physical cards.

Edited by JYoder

14 minutes ago, CaffeineAddict said:

Ugh. Bundling physical cards in with digital content is a really annoying way to go. I have no interest in the digital version, but I'm going to have to buy this if I want a complete physical card collection?

+1 to that. I want all the physical cards and the other perks in this bundle, but I couldn't care less about the digital game. Hopefully FFG will listen to us and give us a physical-cards only–and thus more affordable–version of this bundle. 

11 minutes ago, farealh said:

+1 to that. I want all the physical cards and the other perks in this bundle, but I couldn't care less about the digital game. Hopefully FFG will listen to us and give us a physical-cards only–and thus more affordable–version of this bundle. 

I'm curious -- why do you want these physical cards? You already have them all except the 2 new heroes, which are coming eventually in regular products. Only because you like the new format? To me, that's a reason to not get it as they'll be different from all my other cards.

1 minute ago, JYoder said:

I'm curious -- why do you want these physical cards? You already have them all except the 2 new heroes, which are coming eventually in regular products. Only because you like the new format? To me, that's a reason to not get it as they'll be different from all my other cards.

Two new quests. And I didn't see that these new heroes would be released later in other products, but if that's the case then it loses some of its appeal.

Just now, Kakita Shiro said:

Two new quests. And I didn't see that these new heroes would be released later in other products, but if that's the case then it loses some of its appeal.

Unless you really want the digital content and few extra bits, 2 new quests are hardly worth the price of admission.

I think it's a clever marketing move, offering something for both the digital and physical formats, potentially getting people hooked on both.  Even if I end up not liking the digital version, I applaud the company for thinking "outside the box", and for also encouraging us to do the same.

For me, even with the $54.74 USD shipping to New Zealand, this was a no-brainer.

11 minutes ago, tripecac said:

I think it's a clever marketing move, offering something for both the digital and physical formats, potentially getting people hooked on both.  Even if I end up not liking the digital version, I applaud the company for thinking "outside the box", and for also encouraging us to do the same.

For me, even with the $54.74 USD shipping to New Zealand, this was a no-brainer.

"...$54.74 USD shipping to New Zealand..." Dang.

I do agree with your points though.

That is the first time for our game that we HAVE to order directly to FFG. As a result it will cost me twice the price of the product if I want to order it. And I even can't make a big order for many people in my country... because there is a 3 exemplary limit. It is insulting at many level: no distribution using partners... some strangers like FFG France, no real position to say if those heroes are exclusive or not, a playmat already been made 2 times.

I see a Horn of Gondor.  If the included decks have Unexpected Courage and Dwarven Tomb, it's a wee bit more compelling to me.

It's nice that the included heroes will be available regularly.  It'd be nicer if the two quests were eventually print on demand.

I like the spoiled heroes.  Stonehelm is effectively a cost-4 attacker who enables a mining deck.  Not bad for 9 threat.  Gildor's 3 willpower for 9 threat makes him a great quester for leadership, and being able to turn a resource into a card is great for that sphere.

I watched the stream announcing this and read the news article. There are already quite a few comments unsure if we would get the two heroes in an AP/Expansion:

YES, we will get both heroes in REGULAR PRODUCTS 
Quote: "These heroes will eventually enter The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game through standard products, but for now, the only way to adventure alongside these heroes is in the Two-Player Limited Edition Starter." (located at the end of the paragraph in which the heroes are spoiled)

For the two QUESTS: There was/is no information if or how they will be available to the public.
I would assume they will be released as PoD-Quests, as this isn't only fair for all players, but also a pretty save way for FFG to make some money.

It is indeed very sad that you can only preorder/buy this directly from FFG (as I clicked the Link they even have a pop up, if you are sure to preorder from them or if you wouldn't like to support your local gaming stores :D). I am interested in the digital version, so having all that stuff and a nice amount of physical goodis would have been nice (these alternate Art Cards are AMAZING, wish they would have done this from the get go). But 50$ Shipping is just to much.

On the other hand it is nice to have a release date! August 28th! Hopefully the game will be noticed by some new people and boost the physical version :)

The two spoiled heroes didn't have me that much excited, but they seem very solid. Thorin even seems rock-solid (at least for mining decks, which I never really liked). Gildor is finally another three willpower leadership hero (man I love Sam, but Celeborn isn't an alternative outside silvan decks) and a nice ability. I guess that leaves only 2 heroes for our upcoming cycle in the dark :D

Edit: Ok, Dale was a little quicker, but two are better than one I guess ;)

Edited by Calvadur

The companion book, the 1-to-1 digital conversion, the 2nd edition (with errata'ed cards), the campaign packs... all of those would-be-nices take money, so I don't mind "donating" to the FFG bank account, especially at this time, when they've taken a huge risk by spending THOUSANDS of man-hours developing software than hasn't earned any real money yet (since I presume if they cancel the digital game they will have to refund all preorders).

This is one of the few times I've ordered directly from FFG, an I'm happy to do so (even with the painful shipping), because I presume FFG will get a larger chunk of the profit than if I ordered through another site.

(I also find it encouraging that the digital and physical products still have a close enough relationship to be bundled together, because that increases the likelihood of creative crossover between the two.  Perhaps, given enough money and persistent feedback from the fans, FFG will eventually give us that 1-to-1 conversion we've been dreaming about for years!)

Edited by tripecac

I'm glad that the heroes well be available later as the price point to UK will be just too steep. But I'm concerned about the two new quests which I will want but don't know if they will be available outside this set. Not fussed about the digital or the fluff.

Mainly feeling disappointed that I may have cards missing from a set that's already cost me a lot.