Sign in to follow this  
Schu81

The new Jam Action

Hello everyone! So, I guess some of you might already have their new Tie Reapers.

Can you please describe the new Action? How does it work? Does it put out Stress or Jam Tokens? How about Range? Does the Target have to be in Arc or not?

2 minutes ago, Schu81 said:

Hello everyone! So, I guess some of you might already have their new Tie Reapers.

Can you please describe the new Action? How does it work? Does it put out Stress or Jam Tokens? How about Range? Does the Target have to be in Arc or not?

1.0 xwing (didn’t look at 2.0 stuff in the box yet)

you place a jam token on a ship at range 1 with no jam tokens. If it’s in your primary arc, you get range 1-2 instead.

23 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

Watched it a few times last night, you’re pretty much always better off just taking the evade action and extending that 8 health in a way you can guarantee. 

This is likely true of the generic used as a palp carrier.  Bit using a named pilot who gets bonuses against jammed enemies, equipped with ISB slicer, might be a different story.

I had one game with my Reaper last night.

Managed to be in a good position to Jam once (poor flying and forgetting about Ailerons curtailed my use of it!)

Managed to Jam Poe, and it was glorious! Really enjoyed that. 

Liked the ship in general actually.

16 hours ago, nikk whyte said:

Watched it a few times last night, you’re pretty much always better off just taking the evade action and extending that 8 health in a way you can guarantee. 

It's a situational tool, but a potentially very useful one.  Being able to token strip Poe (or any ship with Comm Relay/Advanced Optics) is really handy, and it can help to mitigate ships with things like Juke.  It's also good against token-stacking aces to make the rest of your list more able to actually hit them. :) 

18 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It's pretty good. Arc-restricted to range 2 but a Reaper is pretty good at pointing its nose at the enemy, and 360' at range 1.

You also can't chose to jam a ship which is already jammed, so no burying people in jam tokens.

But you still could jam an enemy and then hit it with a jamming beam to stack more jam tokens. cuz the jamming beam is not restricted to unjammed ships

1 hour ago, Taiowaa said:

But you still could jam an enemy and then hit it with a jamming beam to stack more jam tokens. cuz the jamming beam is not restricted to unjammed ships

You could indeed. But do you really want to invest the points, and the attacks, in what is quite frankly a piece of junk?

18 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

This is likely true of the generic used as a palp carrier.  Bit using a named pilot who gets bonuses against jammed enemies, equipped with ISB slicer, might be a different story.

Or if the generic isn't going to get shot at. If you're packing, say, Death Troopers and pretending to be Biggs, then Lightweight Frame and Evade tokens are the order of the day. But whilst Jam is not a great way of extending the life of the reaper itself, if the reaper's not the one your opponent is picking on, then stopping your opponent focusing or locking up the reaper's wingmen might save their neck.

Facing a missile alpha strike squad, you can build a reaper to be pretty tolerant of fire - if you give it multispectral camo the odds of a target lock being burned off is low, but it's real enough that your opponent probably isn't going to pick the reaper to peg missiles at in the opening salvo.

3 hours ago, Jarval said:

It's a situational tool, but a potentially very useful one.  Being able to token strip Poe (or any ship with Comm Relay/Advanced Optics) is really handy, and it can help to mitigate ships with things like Juke.  It's also good against token-stacking aces to make the rest of your list more able to actually hit them. :) 

Eeeeh, Poe just focuses again when he moves after you. 

Sure, it removes a bit of efficiency from him, for a single turn, but Poe pretty much only needs a focus to get through that turn without issue. 

1 hour ago, nikk whyte said:

Eeeeh, Poe just focuses again when he moves after you. 

Sure, it removes a bit of efficiency from him, for a single turn, but Poe pretty much only needs a focus to get through that turn without issue. 

I found that stopping Poe from target locking/boosting is quite a big deal, but YMMV.  It forces some potentially hard choices on the Poe player.

1 minute ago, Jarval said:

I found that stopping Poe from target locking/boosting is quite a big deal, but YMMV.  It forces some potentially hard choices on the Poe player.

Last night I jammed Poe and then blocked him in the same turn. It opened up the door for Vessery to get a big hit in. After that he was limping and it really turned the game for me.

Great move if you can pull it off. When the Reaper is a medium base too...

Follow up question: What exactly happens to the jam token once you jammed a ship?

Let's assume the following two scenarios:

1. The opponent ship has a focus, evade or blue TL token. After now taking the jam action, the ship has to remove one of those tokens. Will the jam token still be placed next to the opponent ship?

2. The opponent ship has no tokens. After now taking the jam action you place the jam token next to the opponent ship. Will the jam token stay there only until the opponent does a focus, evade or TL action on that ship, or even after that until the end of the round?

I'm just curious under what scenarios Captain Feroph makes sense because it appears to me that it is very unlikely that the jam token stays on the board until the begin of the combat phase. 

15 hours ago, warmdown said:

Follow up question: What exactly happens to the jam token once you jammed a ship?

Let's assume the following two scenarios:

1. The opponent ship has a focus, evade or blue TL token. After now taking the jam action, the ship has to remove one of those tokens. Will the jam token still be placed next to the opponent ship?

2. The opponent ship has no tokens. After now taking the jam action you place the jam token next to the opponent ship. Will the jam token stay there only until the opponent does a focus, evade or TL action on that ship, or even after that until the end of the round?

I'm just curious under what scenarios Captain Feroph makes sense because it appears to me that it is very unlikely that the jam token stays on the board until the begin of the combat phase. 

1: the jam token is removed along with their choice of focus evade or blue lock.

2: remains until the next time they get a relevant token. Note that this changes in 2e, when they are discarded at end of round - but so does feroph's ability.

And yes, Feroph's ability is very hard to trigger.

Guys jam shouldn’t stack...It might be worthless to some of you but stacking jam tokens would cause the biggest npe since jump masters. Do you really want to play a 40 minute game where the ****** across from you has negated every action you can take for 3 or more turns? Jam doesn’t need to stack, what it does need is to happen early, so something like han’s ability would be cool. 1 shot at int 7 and this thing is completely viable and still skill based not bs comboing.

52 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

Guys jam shouldn’t stack....

In 1.0, it does stack, but the only way to get it to stack is to use the jamming beam or a combination of the jamming action (with or without ISB slicer) with the jamming beam. And personally, I disagree. Stacked jam tokens are no more of a npe than offensive token staking (especially if it's able to be pulled off without stress).

In 2.0, from the wording of some of the cards, jam doesn't seem to stack.

7 minutes ago, Nspace said:

In 1.0, it does stack, but the only way to get it to stack is to use the jamming beam or a combination of the jamming action (with or without ISB slicer) with the jamming beam. And personally, I disagree. Stacked jam tokens are no more of a npe than offensive token staking (especially if it's able to be pulled off without stress).

In 2.0, from the wording of some of the cards, jam doesn't seem to stack.

Agree to disagree but they got rid of the majority of offensive stacking in 2.0 too so yeah in 2.0 it shouldn’t stack. 1.0 means nothing to me, long before the 2.0 announcement so there is that.