Stacie_GmrGrl

How would you do Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat/Fireborn type settings for Genesys?

I am stuck on how to pull off settings like these above for Genesys... Genesys being more on the narrative side and games that have been designed in the past to mimic the fighting game genre have tended to be on the crunchy mechanical side of things and I am not all that great at game design so I am asking for ideas and suggestions. 

How can we use Genesys to play in these worlds of Street Fighter as a World Warrior or travel the dimensions of Mortal Kombat and its Otherrealms (Netherrealms??)?

I also put Fireborn in here because it has a solid fighting game combat engine in it us playing reincarnated dragon beings would be a fun mix with the chi powered powers of these other settings. 

To me this kind of conversion sounds easy, but it's important to understand that Genesys is more cinematic and narrative than other systems, so don't expect to see a lot of mechanical details or a heavy turn based combat: it's not the point to use Genesys.

But being Genesys so generic, you can create some customized content, like new combat skills instead of keeping just Brawl for everyone. This is alsto true for any magical skill, if you think its necessary for your game.

Think more in movies or cinematics to understand the feeling instead of the ingame aspect.

Seems that Strain works as a Chi system to power Magic actions, Talents, and Heroic Abilities, which can easily emulate the various powers in the franchises mentioned.

I would flavor the Magic Attack, Augment, and Barrier actions without mechanical changes. The Parry talent would see heavy use, and I'd allow Deflect to be used against the Magic Attack action. There are a lot of Talents from the Star Wars books to draw from (check out the 'Expanded Talents' posts where the work of converting them to the Genesys tiered system has already been done). 

The place I would do some real creative customising would be Heroic Abilities. This would be where the big, 'limit-break' style moves would come into play. Perhaps allow more frequent activations and require a hefty strain cost - say five to seven strain and once per encounter.

For an basic solution would split brawl into different skills, either by style Eg; Judo(Agility). Or by broad technique EG; Hit(Agility), Throw(Brawn), Trip(Cunning) etc

Then come up with a basic action that each does; Punch (Hit) Dam +2, Crit 4.

And finally create some talents to add new attack types; Strike(Hit) Dam +2, Crit 2.

You can incorporate melee weapons too, with skills for them and different talents, keeping the actual effects of the weapons very basic, with the talents actually providing the cool moves

If you want a much more complex system then I would mimic the Magic system, each Skill accesses a different selection of “Moves” which are represented in exactly the same way as spells. This would require you to break Attack up into smaller pieces, all of these would have “additional effects” tables that build upon the following options :

Critical Strike, low crit, middle Damage, single target, difficult to pull off

Multi Strike: Hit multiple targets, or one target multiple times, for low Damage 

Ranged Strike: low Damage option that hits from range and is hard to block

Major Strike: big damage, single target, engaged only, high strain cost

Holding Strike: the Ensnare option, very low damage, easy to do, Ensnare.

The weapons of the characters then work like magic implements, enhancing the moves. I would also keep the spells Augment, Barrier, Conjure, Curse, and Dispel (Heal doesn’t feel right to me for some reason)

So, if the thing you're trying to emulate is the tenseness and the need to preempt your opponent, I'd go a different (or additional) tact.

I've been working on a Slow Motion Initiative system that is meant to be used for things like room clearings or duels.

1. Everyone participating in combat decides in secret how they will spend their Action and Maneuver(s).

2. Roll initiative as normal. Successes still determine order. 2 Advantage lets you change your Action, 1 Advantage lets you change a Maneuver.

3. Reveal turn plans and play out turns. If two players have the same number of Successes, the effects of their Actions don't resolve until the everyone on that Initiative slot has gone. 

At the end of the first round, move to normal initiative.

Edited by Zenferno
Missed a step.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:20 AM, Zenferno said:

I have some ideas, but first, which parts are you trying to replicate? What feel are you aiming for?

Aiming at wanting to emulate, to an extent, both the back and forth nature of the action and how the characters can have such wildly different chi powers and maneuvers. The narrative aspects of the system could help with providing a cinematic feeling from the action rolls... but I guess it's the powers that have me confused. 

I haven't checked out The Wandering Fighter fan made document that was mentioned above (don't know where it is). 

Another thing that is part of it, for me, is wanting to come up with a bit of a system for enhancing the scenery beyond just "being there." Like, being able to turn the scenery the characters find themselves fighting on into a bit of a character itself. A Environment Nemesis, so to speak. 

12 hours ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

Aiming at wanting to emulate, to an extent, both the back and forth nature of the action and how the characters can have such wildly different chi powers and maneuvers. The narrative aspects of the system could help with providing a cinematic feeling from the action rolls... but I guess it's the powers that have me confused. 

I haven't checked out The Wandering Fighter fan made document that was mentioned above (don't know where it is). 

Another thing that is part of it, for me, is wanting to come up with a bit of a system for enhancing the scenery beyond just "being there." Like, being able to turn the scenery the characters find themselves fighting on into a bit of a character itself. A Environment Nemesis, so to speak. 

This is actually a cool concept that deserves it's own hack. Dynamic environments aren't explored enough in the CRB, and newer GMs typically need a lot of guidance with this.

Your thoughts on the Bullet Time initiative?

On 7/1/2018 at 8:14 AM, Zenferno said:

This is actually a cool concept that deserves it's own hack. Dynamic environments aren't explored enough in the CRB, and newer GMs typically need a lot of guidance with this.

Your thoughts on the Bullet Time initiative?

I am not familiar by Bullet Time initiative. Can you describe it please?

On 6/22/2018 at 8:39 AM, Zenferno said:

So, if the thing you're trying to emulate is the tenseness and the need to preempt your opponent, I'd go a different (or additional) tact.

I've been working on a Slow Motion Initiative system that is meant to be used for things like room clearings or duels.

1. Everyone participating in combat decides in secret how they will spend their Action and Maneuver(s).

2. Roll initiative as normal. Successes still determine order. 2 Advantage lets you change your Action, 1 Advantage lets you change a Maneuver.

3. Reveal turn plans and play out turns. If two players have the same number of Successes, the effects of their Actions don't resolve until the everyone on that Initiative slot has gone. 

At the end of the first round, move to normal initiative.

This. It would be used to give fights a sense of momentum, and would make trying to predict your opponent's actions extremely important.

21 hours ago, Zenferno said:

This. It would be used to give fights a sense of momentum, and would make trying to predict your opponent's actions extremely important.

I like this idea. Wonder how players would feel trying it. Have you tried this Initiative yet?

On 6/20/2018 at 9:17 PM, thedonnie said:

I have a setting that has tons of hand to hand combat. I use the supplement that was fan made called The Wandering Fighter to help with the hand to hand combat stuff.

It has enough crunch to make things interesting.

As far as I can tell it's not possible to get The Wandering Fighter at this time. I checked out the patreon and it's not available right now. Makes me sad.