Sign in to follow this  
Coyote Walks

The Fires Within

Battle Maiden Recruit is terrible except as Cavalry Reserves fodder.

2 minutes ago, Coyote Walks said:

Because she cost 0.

Where the *bleep* are our Mantis? 

Didn't get one with the last pack either.

Edited by Kakita Shiro

3 minutes ago, Kakita Shiro said:

Battle Maiden Recruit is terrible except as Cavalry Reserves fodder.

Didn't get one with the last pack either.

The article actually says there is a Mantis card in the pack. But then doesn't spoil it.

2 minutes ago, Coyote Walks said:

Because she cost 0.

Where the *bleep* are our Mantis? 

If she were a conflict card I could see the value in her but as a dynasty she is hot garbage.  She will cost you the fate for passing first, can't contribute anything without investing additional support by either winning her needed rings or putting cards on her to make her useful, and doesn't even help you claim favor as an emergency fall back if you can't get the rings you need.  At least the other 0 costs have synergy with their faction by being sacrifice bait for Crab mechanics or having an innate force with drawback to help Lion build a wide swarm.

As to our Mantis we are simply biding their time until we are ready to pounce?

1 minute ago, HamHamJ2 said:

The article actually says there is a Mantis card in the pack. But then doesn't spoil it.

It was previously announced there will be one Mantis in each pack with Yoritomo making his appearance in the final pack.  But dammit I need ot see my peeps so I can start figuring out what decks they are going to work best in to take over.

2 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

If she were a conflict card I could see the value in her but as a dynasty she is hot garbage.  She will cost you the fate for passing first, can't contribute anything without investing additional support by either winning her needed rings or putting cards on her to make her useful, and doesn't even help you claim favor as an emergency fall back if you can't get the rings you need.  At least the other 0 costs have synergy with their faction by being sacrifice bait for Crab mechanics or having an innate force with drawback to help Lion build a wide swarm.

But you can bring back 3 copies with Cavalry Reserves!

I think she probably works in Unicorn swarm.

Uni stuff seams fun. Hopefully Unicorns and lions do not end up feeling to samey as they are kinda of going the same Military swarm direction. Smoke is going to be nuts though almost to perfect of an answer to these strategies. 

1 minute ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Lion seems to be gearing more towards "a few good men" while Unicorn is building an "endless horde."

Which is a shame since it throws so much of the early design Lion out the window (Gunso for getting extra Dynasty slots and General who really wants lots of buddies with him and the box which is best with lots of characters).  With FGG and charge on the restricted list it really does hurt Lion's wide builds as they really did need the bonus fate economy to make getting key bodies out reliable.

The Naga being a conflict character can still allow Lion to use her to trigger numbers matter cards for the Lion, but FFG does need to spend a little time trying to give Unicorn some sort of identity.

That 0 cost Battle Maiden is really bad.  While she has the potential to be 6 extra military, for free, after a Cav Reserve, the tempo you lose in passing dynasty second if you buy her or have her flip up when you have no good options is a major drawback.  If you have a serious dynasty deck engine going with Satoshi and Force of the River, and can get her along with Keepers and other stuff in the discard with regularity, then maybe you have something, but, that seems like a very gimmicky build and not a serious competitive deck.

Doesn't mean I won't try it though

14 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Well she seems to be quite good in multiplayer format where you can keep your rings a little bit longer.

The dragon cards are both kinda bad, the holding costs honor, and we're already highly vulnerable to dishonor, and smoke is only good against swarm, so it would only be run if lion/uni swarm are ever dominating the way crab/scorp have been, and that seems highly unlikely any time soon. Smoke also kinda shoots us in the foot half the time anyhow, because we don't run that many uniques, compared to some, and since it sac's itself for its ability we lose the +1 it gives. Not worth the fate, if it were free, maybe, but as is, no.

Although, honestly, considering how pretty much everything else we're getting that's been spoiled thus far is somewhere between good and balls to the wall amazing, so I'm okay with a couple duds. I'd prefer if everything fell into that range, but since practically everything else does, I'm still happy.

In everyday life, that is a philosophy that I tend to prescribe to, but when I have a limited amount of space in which to carry things I might need, I'd rather have my wallet in my pocket than a nerf single-shot holdout gun. Yeah, a nerf war *might* break out around me (and in my life, that's not as ridiculous as it sounds), but if I wasn't expecting it when I left home today, chances are I'm gonna need my driver's license, my money, my student id, or one of the various crap in my wallet and not the nerf gun (and honestly, if I *expected* a nerf fight, I'd be packing a way better weapon that couldn't possibly fit in my pocket!).

Same principal applies, I have a limited number of cards I can put into my conflict deck, and I'd rather have a card that is useful most of the time, or shores up weaknesses that my deck actually has, than a card that *might* make a difference once in a while in a situation that other more generally useful cards that I already use do just fine to prepare me for now. I'd rather lose the one fight this card might win than win that fight and lose 50 others because I didn't have whatever I would have put in others.

And for those of you who were wondering, if I did get caught in the middle of a nerf war with a wallet instead of a gun, I'd pull out the wallet and bribe someone to guard me until I got to a store to equip myself.

I lead a life of whimsy, merriment, and joy, I do!

Edited by psychie

I think the idea was more in general as an available card. If very wide decks became dominant, Smoke would help give Dragon tools to combat it, especially since they tend to go fewer, bigger characters.

Of course, there's still limited space in terms of how fast they can print and release everything, so maybe this card slot could have been utilized by something better, but to be honest, I don't think we're that tight on space. Especially not with the 6x6 rollout.

I mean yeah, if those sorts of decks become an actual problem, I'd run it, just like if going out and suddenly finding myself in the middle of an unexpected nerf war became a relatively common occurrence I'd find some way to bring  a nerf gun with me, maybe get a holster or something I can clip to my waistband, I dunno. And it's not like the possibility that wide mil decks become a problem wasn't addressed in my initial post, but honestly that is incredibly unlikely to happen any time soon, and really I doubt dragon'd have much of a problem with handling it as is, due to the sort of stat pumps we dole out like candy, especially on the mil side, so if they wanna commit so many dudes that I can't possibly pump up to out stat them, then that means I'm losing a province, but taking 2, so it'd only really be a problem at the stronghold, and if that's the tactic they're going for and it's that late in the game, I'm confident I can most likely save my SH, and then turn around and take theirs, I pull that crap all the time in my monk deck right now, and that's not even considered a "top tier" deck by the community at large, and the one that is is way more mil focused than mine. The only situation where I would want to have this is if I was already gonna lose, and honestly if I'm running this instead of something better, I'm way more likely to be in that situation than if I was running that something better.

On 6/20/2018 at 2:30 PM, Ishi Tonu said:

Wrath of the Kami on Pilgrimage makes me think Dragon is going to consider a Keeper role to gain access to Talisman for province locking.

As a monk fan, I very much hope Dragon goes Keeper. So many shenanigans possible with Keeper Initiates.