Boom Owl

What Was the Easiest and Most Difficult List You Used During 1.0?

What was the easiest and most difficult 1.0 list that you put significant time into? Roughly 25+ games, more than just a couple casual games, something you intentionally and semi-seriously practiced. 

Easiest I Used: Yorr + Quiz + Quickdraw

Most Difficult I Used: Vader + Whisper + Kylo Tie Bomber

Responses so far. Bit of a mix but i guess it really depends on what wave things were used. 

Easiest: 

• Yorr + Quiz + Quickdraw
  • Ghost / Fenn
  • QD, Vader and Inq
  • Triple Jumpmasters
  • Pre-nerf Parattani 
  • OP3 / 100-point Miranda
  • Dengar Nym
  • Dengaroo
  • late stage Attanni
  • QD/Vessery/OL
  • Ghost Fenn
  • Palp Aces (Vessery/OL/Jammer Shuttle)
  • Palp Aces Inq Vess OGP
  • Parattanni 
  • Dengar/Nym
  • Norra/Biggs/Wookie
  • FSR2
  • Deathrain + double gunboat list
  • Dengar/Bossk
  • Decoy Echo; VI Chiraneau
  • Parattanni
  • Palpdefenders
  • Super Dash
  • Dengaroo
  • Autoblaster ghost + 2 x TLT y wings + Z95
  • Han and Lothal Rebel
  • Dengaroo
  • Dash/Poe. Granted it was BB8/PTL Poe
  • Triple auzitucks
  • Whisper/Echo with an Academy TIE...pre nerf to Phantom
  • 5x Alpha Squadrons with Auto Thrusters
  • nymranda
  • Leebo / 2x Blue Squad B-Wings
  • Dash Poe
  • NymGar
  • Corran+Wes Janson+ BIggs in wave 7/8 
  • Tel-Dengar
  • QD + 2 Silencers

Most Difficult:

• Vader + Whisper + Kylo Tie Bomber
  • 2 Ion Scyks and 2 PS5 Fangs all with Mindlink
  • Whisper / QD / Countdown
  • Four A-Wings
  • Soontir Fel
  • Rey + Norra
  • Double Firesprays
  • BroBots
  • Brobots
  • Scum Swarm
  • Advanced Sensors Corran + Miranda
  • Whisper RAC (gunner/vader/Engine)
  • RAC/QD 
  • Triple interceptors pre wave 4
  • Something that involved TalonBane Cobra
  • Interceptors
  • 8 tie fighters
  • 4 Proximity Mine Bombers and a Doomshuttle
  • Lone wolf,SJ Echo; Sigma; Palp shuttle
  • Dash and Jan
  • Triple HLC Rhos
  • 6 TIEs and a support TIE bomber shuttle
  • TIE swarm
  • 5 x Crack + Optic FO's
  • Corran, Fenn and Ezra
  • 4 TLT Hwks with recspec
  • scimitar with proxy mines and em, tempest with accuracy correcter, and each of them with two tie fighter body guards
  • Brobots
  • 4 Rookie Pilots with Proton Torpedoes and Guidance Chips
  • Heff,Biggs,2 TLT Hwks in the triple defender age
  • trying to get Xizor to work
  • Echo and 3x Imperial trainees
  • old school 7 TIE swarm after wave 4
  • Jax/Sigma/3xAcademy
  • TIE swarm but with no generics
  • Krassis Trelix, RG Interceptor and Howlrunner
  • LW Dash+3 Z95 in wave 6
  • Kylo + 2x rhoboats 
  • 2 Tie/D
Edited by Boom Owl

The most difficult and most fun list I played for any serious length of time was Scyk Fangs.  2 Ion Scyks and 2 PS5 Fangs all with Mindlink.

It was a real challenge to use, and really, really fun when you bombspread it across the table then brought it smoothly back together to killbox or joust.

Then they killed it.

2 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

The most difficult and most fun list I played for any serious length of time was Scyk Fangs.  2 Ion Scyks and 2 PS5 Fangs all with Mindlink.

It was a real challenge to use, and really, really fun when you bombspread it across the table then brought it smoothly back together to killbox or joust.

Then they killed it.

And what was the easiest?

Easiest: Ghost / Fenn. No explanation necessary. 

Most Difficult: Whisper / QD / Countdown. I had never played Whisper before starting to try this out and oh boy did it take a few games to feel good about my Whisper positioning. Although at this point, I still would need more practice. On the plus side, I picked up flying Countdown relatively quickly, so yay Strikers! 

Most difficult (and most fun for me/most frustrating for opponents): Four A-Wings flown according to this
It's incredibly systematic, but you have to remember so many triggers and combinations, need to know when to abandon your plan and when to stubbornly stick to it. All while using sub optimal ships with just 2 attack dice. I gave it my own twist, packing two Awings with prockets+crackshot, and two with juke, all four using snapshot and autothrusters. Sometimes I went to the 5 A-wing version, which makes it immediately more difficult. Great times!

Easiest: Might be the imperial alpha strike with QD, Vader and Inq. All with harpoons. Just fly at them, throw 12 dice at PS11+10 with 2-3 mods (94% to get 11 damage, there's even a 32% chance for 14 damage (+splash) due to triggering harpoons!) and then see what survives. It became too unreliable for my taste at some point, but usually I got fast games with Inq at the end.

Edit: btw, I think I switched Inq or Vader to Cruise at some point to get the small Ini bid. It works better on Vader IMO because I prefer to be able to adjust the arc with a boost after going that fast. I also had tried 2 cruise, but that did not work so well for me because at that time I was not good enough to set up the cruise (I've played it much more often in the meantime, so maybe now I'd do better with two) It gives you 98% chance on 12 hits, with 73% on 14hits and 40% on 15hits (drops to 98% for 11hits if your Vader has to use his action to boost). And it gives you the option to take FCS on QD, which improves his return shot before he dies. (e2:) it does make the list more difficult though, as evidenced by my own failure to play it properly without some practice.

Edited by GreenDragoon

Soontir Fel

And I actually mean that seriously. When I first started playing trying to map out all of the possible places I could end up with boost/BR was mind meltingly hard. But later due to Palp/authothrusters/token stacking being effectively immune from damage even on a total blankout it was laughably easy to fly. Just don't end somewhere they can bump you next turn end of of decision tree.

Easiest list (and won a lot with) was - Triple Jumpmasters (nuff said..)

Difficult list: Rey + Norra (it was difficult in that it was a two ship list and although Norra was regen) Rey could never quite stay alive as long as I wanted sometimes; if she was able to stay alive and I was able to keep stress of her I won a lot more than I lost, but once the stress mechanic got her I was chasing an uphill battle. Still my favorite list to this day though. Love some Rey+Finn (in arc) and Norra regen

Edited by Cgriffith

30 minutes ago, RStan said:

Easiest: Ghost / Fenn. No explanation necessary. 

Most Difficult: Whisper / QD / Countdown. I had never played Whisper before starting to try this out and oh boy did it take a few games to feel good about my Whisper positioning. Although at this point, I still would need more practice. On the plus side, I picked up flying Countdown relatively quickly, so yay Strikers! 

Ha holy crap I played a bunch of games with that exact list Whisper/QD/Countdown. It was probably the first list I put together that I thought was "cool" early on when I first started getting super into X-Wing and was transitioning away from Whisper/Boba. Thanks for sharing. Much nostalgia.

Edited by Boom Owl

Easiest: Pre-nerf Parattani - I still think it was the most OP list to ever exist. No good target to go for, and it was such a frustrating experience for your opponent to almost kill a single ship, only to see it fly away from the fight and contribute to the Manaroo focus battery. Even its hardest 'counters' were more like 50/50 matchups. A list where I realized that I was winning many games purely due to the strength of the list, not my flying. 

Hardest: Double Firesprays - So hard to make this list work. I did my damnedest though. 

Edited by Bonza

Easiest: OP3 / 100-point Miranda. Just shuffle along, drop Bomblets, shoot whatever's in range with Miri, win game. (Dis)honourable mentions to pre-Trajectory Nymiranda (which was and remains disgustingly powerful, but at least melts to incoming fire if you mess up your position) and pre-nerf Commonwealth Defenders (I still love them, and they at least have arcs and middling PS, but you could get away with such lazy flying thanks to pre-nerf x7 and Palp).

Hardest: BroBots, in either Advanced Sensor or FCS variety. Kind of like Commonwealth Defenders, you have to work around the middling PS and the fact your arcs actually matter, but on top of that you have large bases to make maneuvering more difficult and no Palpatine safety net. You messed up with Bots and you would, and still do, get punished immediately. I still haven't found a list that feels quite as rewarding to fly correctly -- you actually do feel like you've outflown your opponent, and unlike some more modern lists it's probably true.

Edited by DR4CO

5 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

I don't think I've ever run a list I found easy tbh.  They all have their challenges.

But then, I don't generally like running things that are easy to fly, they're boring.

Actually scratch that: Dengar Nym for the brief shining period before it died.  I played VI Dengar with Glitterstim rather than Expertise Dengar (and AC rather than AS on Nym) and it crushed stuff.

Easiest: Dengaroo. Just point Dengar at stuff and stuff died. 

Hardest: Brobots. Playing 2 PS6 arc-bound ship in a meta where everything else was a turret, an arc-dodger or both was challenging at best, frustrating at worst . Trying to beat Palp Aces as Scum almost drove me to quit X-wing. Then Jumpmasters dropped :D

Edit:more details :)

Edited by LordBlades

Easiest:
late stage Attanni:
Dengar w/Mindlink, Title, OCR4, Latts Razzi, Countermeasures
Fenn w/Mindlink, Title, Autothrusters
Inaldra w/ Mindlink, Light Scyk

This was a very forgiving list to run - great action economy, open dials, solid defense and scary offense.

Hardest: 
Scum Swarm:
2 Thugs w/ TLT, R4 Agromech
4 Bandits

I flew this in the Wave 8 Palp Aces/Double Regen/BroBot meta and getting damage to stick past tanky ships required getting enemy aces into a lot of arcs at once via good planning and execution with a lot of moving pieces. It was exhausting to run.

Easiest was probably QD/Vessery/OL - I would position for a good opening engagement and then see what happens. Not hard to fly with a rear arc and white 4-ks.

Hardest would probably be Advanced Sensors Corran + Miranda. It was my first time doing PTL+Adv Sensors and I was not used to the amount of options I had.

I don't think I've ever flown *any* list 25+ times.  Before I take something to a tournament I get about 5 games in with it, maybe 10 if I'm really fortunate.  I know I'd do better if I didn't do things that way, but it's just kinda boring for me to play the same list that many time.  I totally understand why others do though.

But to answer your question, my best run I ever had was with this list, before the Biggs nerf, about one week after the Wookie Gunship came out:

Norra Wexley — ARC-170 Push the Limit, Kyle Katarn, R2-D2, Engine Upgrade, Alliance Overhaul

Ship Total: 43

Biggs Darklighter — X-Wing, R4-D6, Integrated Astromech

Ship Total: 26

Kashyyyk Defender — Auzituck Gunship, Jan Ors, Jyn Erso, Experimental Interface

Ship Total: 31

Worst run:

Something that involved TalonBane Cobra, another Kihraxz, and Sol Sixxa.  I learned the hard way how important 1 straights are to an ordinance list.  It was one week after Harpoons came out.

Easiest: FSR2...

Hardest: Interceptors... never could get my aggression levels right on those

Oh flip: 25+ times? Ignore the above, never flown them that much...

In fact... Only items I've flown near that are...

• Miranda and three Rookie X-Wings
Edited by LagJanson

Most difficult? 8 tie fighters. In the tripboat meta.

Flying them is insanely difficult, its literally auto-lose if you botch up 1 ship's flight path.

Easiest? My Deathrain + double gunboat list

Mostly because nobody gives Deathrain any credit and then he hammers your face in with whacked out maneuvers and bomb spams lol. Everyone goes for the gunboats thinking the punisher is a distraction im deliberately sending down their throat...nope hes the main threat lol

Easiest was Dengar/Bossk when Harpoons were spoiled, I basicaly cheesed my way to a 4 win streak on the VASSAL league with that, which is way better than I had any right to be in my division back then (think I finished the season 3rd place with a 7-2 record or something like that).

Hardest is difficult to say. I very often play very experimental lists to handicap myself against less experienced opponents and rarely get to play these more than once, so it is hard to judge them. Or even to remember all of them. Hardest list that was actually good which I played consistently was probably Sables 2013 worlds list, 4 Proximity Mine Bombers and a Doomshuttle. That also was some of the best fun I've had with the game.

pretty much ran straight through an imdaar alpha tournament with 2x gold squdron with ion turret and 2x blue squadron with ion cannon and FCS.  I felt a little bad in some games, especially in my match with a player coming off a regionals win running triple interceptors, but I gimmicked my way to a tie defender prize so it was worth it

Trying to play pre-x7  double tie defenders went rather poorly though, especially with brobots running around just doing the same archetype but way better

Edited by Effenhoog

Easiest was probably Parattanni. I was very well use to the Fang and the Lancer by the time I tried it and the Jumpmaster is the Jumpmaster, so getting in the grove of it wasn't hard. Even later when I traded Manny out for Palob, I knew the pieces well enough and it had so much synergy that it felt like a breeze to fly.

Most difficult...hmm. For me, I'm going to have to go with Dash and Jan. The range control needed for that duo can be very frustrating, but when it pays off, it feels amazing.