Sign in to follow this  
Slaughteralus

Is Armada dead? (Serious question)

3 hours ago, moodswing5537 said:

I'm guessing you don't understand the production necessary to put out a single wave, in a country that's 6000 miles away. Trying to do that every 3 months would be an impossibility. 

Tell that to the makers of legion and x wing.  Your argument holds no weight.

2 hours ago, geek19 said:

But he wants a thing! And isn't THAT the most important part?

Just to clarify, I’m a jerk for wanting more product?  If x wing and legion can get product at a reasonable pace, there’s nothing reason armada can’t get 2 waves and a campaign box in a calendar year.  Not sure why anyone is defending their actions.  I have every release for this game and enjoy it.  People like @geek19 that take their childish shots at fellow members of the community are doing more harm than good.  

1 minute ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Just to clarify, I’m a jerk for wanting more product?  If x wing and legion can get product at a reasonable pace, there’s nothing reason armada can’t get 2 waves and a campaign box in a calendar year.  Not sure why anyone is defending their actions.  I have every release for this game and enjoy it.  People like @geek19 that take their childish shots at fellow members of the community are doing more harm than good.  

And now X-wing needs a second edition, and Legion hasn't been out long enough to face that same problem (But I almost guarantee it will get just as bloated).  Slow releases are not a bad thing.  They help to overcome the high initial investment (with less long term investment needed), and give the designers more time to balance the game.  I would argue that maybe their release schedules are reasonable for those games, but not for Armada.  Furthermore, Armada has a lot smaller pool to draw on in terms of ships to add to the game, and rapid releases will only exacerbate this problem.  The only argument to speeding up releases is getting new things to play with, but because armada as a game system is so balanced (In that the best thing and the worst thing are close in power level) that you can try out a lot of new things.  In short, New release are not a blanket good thing and Armada doesn't need them.

12 hours ago, Slaughteralus said:

So... at least as far as new content, support from FFG...is Armada dead?

As much as we complain about a lack of content or news, my observations from the local scene make it pretty clear that Armada is doing just fine along the slower release path. 

Actually, if I have to be brutally honest, 2017 and 2018 (thus far), both likely  to be single release years, are absolutely killing it in regular participation, new players, tournament participation, and fleet variety compared to 2016 which had 3 releases in a single year and Armada nearly dried up locally. 

I want to *****, because I'm a bitchy person, but honestly things are solid for armada. 

I don't know if media blackout is the best method for FFG to run a product, but they really don't have much to talk about anyways, not with 3 or 4 regularly updated community based blogs (2 of which are almost always on the front page of the forums), not to mention the podcasts and youtube channels...

They ain't telling us something we don't already know unless it's a new release. 

I'm banking that Gencon will be our big day, all this "death" talk will instantly be drown out by the insane amount of speculation and hype, and we'll begin the cycle anew for next year. 

That said, I will undoubtedly continue to throw shade at FFG until news hits, because I'm a Star Wars fan and could therefore ***** about anything. 

WnSLIp0.gif

Edited by Darth Sanguis

4 hours ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

I still think that FFG needs better communication more than anything. 

That being said, I would rather not know and wait and recieve good, balanced upgrades. 

The alternative is fast, unbalanced garbage and that would be worse for Armada long term. 

but we'd get a second edition :P

1 hour ago, moodswing5537 said:

Legion and x-wing are no where near the scale and complexity of an armada release....argument just gained some weight...

I think players of those games would take offense to this comment.  Legion is new but by the end of this first year it will give players many tough choices for list building and strategy.  

People act like 2 releases a year is an impossible task and I just don’t ge that. 2 ships per faction and a campaign box should be doable.  

7 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

3 or 4 waves a year would have have really kept this game in high gear.

And make it a mess for balance. Six months is the perfect rhythm for releases for this game. I just want them to get back to that.

Edited by Truthiness

1 minute ago, ninclouse2000 said:

I think players of those games would take offense to this comment.  Legion is new but by the end of this first year it will give players many tough choices for list building and strategy.  

People act like 2 releases a year is an impossible task and I just don’t ge that. 2 ships per faction and a campaign box should be doable.  

You misunderstand my statement. The scale and complexity of producing these games are less complicated than armada. I said nothing about how complicated the games are to play.

My statements are moot. You have your opinion. I have mine. I'm not interested in changing your mind, so....you do you. 

1 minute ago, Truthiness said:

And made it a mess for balance. Six months is the perfect rhythm for releases for this game. I just want them to get back to that.

I feel like this is just the right pace. You get stuff for store champs and regionals and then world's.  It also helps keep my wife happy since I'm not rushing out to buy more things every month.

I do think once a year is too slow for releases though. If we had one ship wave and then a campaign wave with variants I'd be elated. The campaign was some of the most fun I've had playing, just because there was a real reason to try and get some new things to work. 

1 hour ago, Truthiness said:

And make it a mess for balance. Six months is the perfect rhythm for releases for this game. I just want them to get back to that.

Yes you are correct.  4 waves a year would be too much when it comes to balance. I was wrong to state 3 or 4 waves in a year would be good. 

1 hour ago, draco193 said:

I feel like this is just the right pace. You get stuff for store champs and regionals and then world's.  It also helps keep my wife happy since I'm not rushing out to buy more things every month.

I do think once a year is too slow for releases though. If we had one ship wave and then a campaign wave with variants I'd be elated. The campaign was some of the most fun I've had playing, just because there was a real reason to try and get some new things to work. 

I would be happy with a schedule like this as well. 

9 minutes ago, NairoD said:

I will not buy FFG x wing or legion till news armada release! Thierry id my last word.

And ARMADA will be allive till anyone of us is still breathing!!!

Yep I agree,  I wont be throwing money into their next craze legion at all, and I've never liked X-wing. Armada is the the one and only, gives you the squadron battles and capital ships, which beats X-wing for me and throwing money at Legion is saying to FFG don't invest in the older games keep throwing out new rubbish,

and Armada won't be dead while people still play it, for example: me and @PodRacer both have mostly complete fleets of Rebels and Imps so we can play Armada till we die(or pod dies as he's older) :) 

Honestly, with Adeptus Titanicus reboot about to land, Xwing 2.0, Legion, 40k 8th in absolute high gear (and having just dropped several new big, expensive Imperial Knight kits), Age of Sigmar 2.0 about to drop and having just released a whole new army with fantastic models (Deepkin), plus impending new undead faction and re-release of the existing ones, which were always solid sellers), FFG may just not have bandwidth for relatively low-margin Armada.

I think a campaign release would be incredibly good filler, and if we get some models that is cool, but it also may be worthwhile for them to rebox some common expansion cards into smaller booster sets; notably cards which have been FAQ'd to have radically different new text.

3 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

What does FFG have to do with any of that 40k stuff? 

The companies are competing for players, and GW is doing a very good job of pulling a lot of player dollars back into their products with steady stream of solid releases.  I know that I am going to be pouring money that FFG apparently doesn't want me putting into Armada into some GW stuff (notably Adeptus Titanicus and Imperial Knights)...

15 hours ago, Chemosh667 said:

The companies are competing for players, and GW is doing a very good job of pulling a lot of player dollars back into their products with steady stream of solid releases.  I know that I am going to be pouring money that FFG apparently doesn't want me putting into Armada into some GW stuff (notably Adeptus Titanicus and Imperial Knights)...

This is a completely fair point of dicussion. If there was an Armada release coming down the pipe (and it re-sparked the interest of the local community), then I would probably pass on Titanicus. As it is, I'm still playing Armada but only while I'm waiting for other games (Titanicus and MonPoc 2.0, currently).

1 hour ago, IronNerd said:

This is a completely fair point of dicussion. If there was an Armada release coming down the pipe (and it re-sparked the interest of the local community), then I would probably pass on Titanicus. As it is, I'm still playing Armada but only while I'm waiting for other games (Titanicus and MonPoc 2.0, currently).

I think that this right here is the death spiral of Armada.  I've noticed the Armada players in the area (all 8 of us) have made less effort to play and many of them have branched out into other product lines.  I'm personally excited to see what happens with MonPoc 2.0.

Ultimately, FFG can do whatever they want with the game.  I have all the product I need in-hand.  I can easily run a 3-player Corellian Conflict with what I own and nobody would feel like they're severely limited.

For me, the real "problem" is that I'm actually less interested in their new product.  With how poor they've managed Armada, I'm not inclined to buy Legion, Xwing 2.0, etc.  I feel like I can buy stuff for a different game and get better service (or whatever you call it when the company actually puts out articles and previews and crap).

1 minute ago, Gadgetron said:

Until a new Armada release, I have no reason to spend more money on Armada.  So if FFG wants Armada to make money, they need to release something new.

Maybe they just forgot that part of business?

With season kits, store championships and the eventual regional events, I think they aren't too worried. Not to say new product wouldn't make more, but selling tournament kits still makes them money. 

On 6/20/2018 at 7:23 AM, Slaughteralus said:

I've been out of the game for a while, personal reasons and whatnot. Coming back after...a year or two, and it seems like ffg has given up on Armada, outside of tournament support. X wing gets all the new expansions, but Armada has basically gotten nothing since i left. 

So... at least as far as new content, support from FFG...is Armada dead? 

Serious answer:

Also a quick catch up.

?