Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzywookie

What are your favorite 3 objectives?

1 hour ago, MandalorianMoose said:

This guy knows something we don’t

The reason for Fleet Ambush, as 2nd player, is if you have few, or no squadrons.   That one stated that squadrons must be placed last, so it eliminates any deployment advantage the 1st player might have with their 12 bombers or whatever.   

Just now, Crabbok said:

The reason for Fleet Ambush, as 2nd player, is if you have few, or no squadrons.   That one stated that squadrons must be placed last, so it eliminates any deployment advantage the 1st player might have with their 12 bombers or whatever.   

Not only that, but ship deployment itself. In the current 3-4 ship meta, the 1st players 3rd deployment will be either their heaviest hitter, or their fourth which will go in the back, or they've already put it down. Meaning your 3 deployment can be your heavy hitter, or you can wait till the 4th. 

Plus it's a GREAT way to have your squadrons in Sato range off the bat. 

1 minute ago, Card Knight said:

@MandalorianMoose see? I'm not the only one. Crabbok knows what's up

I’ve flipped that objective on my opponent as first player too many times for me to ever take it. Ackbar broadsides, demo runs, and bomber wings can all ruin your day with the opening turn. And there is no way to force anything to deploy within long range of your deployment zone, even with perfect obstacle placement.

Beleive me I tried, and again when Bail came out thinking turn one Bail could finally make it viable. But it’s too easy to avoid what you want in that large of an ambush zone.

My first ever full game my opponent chose my fleet ambush and turn 1 demo got behind my ISD. That’s always stuck with me

58 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

The con being those 12 bombers can hit you starting turn one...  Or Demolisher. Or an ISD that waits you out until you saunter into its front arc.  It’s not that Fleet Ambush is bad all of the time, it’s that it actively hurts you some of the time, and it’s not being picked randomly.  I once killed a Quasar in the opening two rounds, because my Arquitens could set up overlapping fields of fire on the poor thing.

I love Salvage Run just for how it forces such a tight chaotic mashup in the middle.  There's so much more strategy that goes into placing terrain in this objective than in many others, which is a lot of fun.

Hyperspace Assault is my go-to yellow in so many fleets.  Dropping Demo, Admo, a Victory or Salvation in strange spots that they usually can't deploy in is a ton of fun.  

Opening salvo is also a hoot but no one ever plays it.