Sign in to follow this  
Stefan

Why would I ever choose Most Wanted?

Please help me out. I find myself reverting to Most Wanted as the standard Red Objective, because it's just so unambigously good with no downsides. Because of this, no one ever chooses it against me. Is this normal, or am I missing something? Why would I, going up first player against someone having Most Wanted, ever choose it? What's the rationale?

6 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Please help me out. I find myself reverting to Most Wanted as the standard Red Objective, because it's just so unambigously good with no downsides. Because of this, no one ever chooses it against me. Is this normal, or am I missing something? Why would I, going up first player against someone having Most Wanted, ever choose it? What's the rationale?

You are running a Raddus list and thus have no large ship on the table. 

I regularly picked it when I was running multiple mc30 msu. 

It's kind of why it's so ubiquitous, it's typically a safe choice for the 2nd player and can punish the 1st. Like @Ginkapo points out if 1st player doesn't have a big hitter for you to target with it then they may consider choosing it, but normally they'd want to avoid it unless your other missions punish them more than Most Wanted.

It has a more fearsome reputation than is really justified. Squadron heavy lists in particular get a lot less out of it than you might expect because they bring less ships to take advantage. Raddus in particular gets to pretty much ignore it since his large ship is generally off the table and immune to Most Wanted.

You're absolutely right that it's a safe objective. There's no doubt there. But I do sometimes find myself wanting an objective with more pay off. That's why you saw Nathan take Advanced Gunnery at Worlds: he only had two ships that could get anything out of Most Wanted. Station Assault is another that I think gets a bad rep. Once you get experienced with it, you can force the hard choice between shooting at stations vs shooting at ships. 80 points is nothing to sneeze at, so your opponent almost has to waste at least 10 damage worth of attacks to kill one of the stations. Precision Strike is just as good as it's always been. If you have a Raddus heavy meta and you have a crit heavy fleet, it makes a lot of sense.

I think will concede the rest of the reds are pretty lacking. Blockade Run encourages non-engagement, so while it is theoretically good for some fleets, it makes for some bad games. Opening Salvo isn't necessarily all that much of an advantage. Intel Scan and Targeting Beacons are about at bleh as can be.

Edited by Truthiness

I think there's two schools of thought with Most Wanted. Make the ship your opponent needs to kill a small ship and the enemy ship you want to target a big vessel to minimise your own losses and maximise your gains.

Alternatively you could do it the other way round. Take the easy points by splatting one of his weak ships and make him try to chase down your tooled up Star Destroyer. I don't think this is the conventional way of doing it but I've had a bit of success with it.

If you're playing in a competition and looking to win it obviously the former of the two methods would be the one to go for.

1 hour ago, Truthiness said:

Station Assault is another that I think gets a bad rep.

I mostly consider it a "win harder" objective.  It often seems like whoever wins the game also gets all the points from the objective.  And I use it like CO in the sense that it's a good objective for a second player who wants to mitigate being outdeployed.

A++ 100% would double station heal again, though.  That's fun.

The problem Station Assault has it can really backfire if they get a little bit lucky and pop both stations, swinging the game 160 points. It also tends to be not too hard to do 10 points of damage when there are no defense tokens. If both stations were armed I think it's a much better objective. 

Most Wanted is just too good with Flotillas really for most fleets to pass up. At worst it tends to be a 50 point loss for you as second player. At best you've now doubled the score of that decked out ISD. 

Edited by draco193

46 minutes ago, draco193 said:

The problem Station Assault has it can really backfire if they get a little bit lucky and pop both stations, swinging the game 160 points. It also tends to be not too hard to do 10 points of damage when there are no defense tokens. If both stations were armed I think it's a much better objective. 

Most Wanted is just too good with Flotillas really for most fleets to pass up. At worst it tends to be a 50 point loss for you as second player. At best you've now doubled the score of that decked out ISD. 

I second this. If you're taking flotillas then Most Wanted is almost an auto-include (unless you've got something more tempting based on your list). 

Edited by Crawfskeezen

Most Wanted was a VERY good objective to include in your set in the days of more than 2 flotillas, assuming you had 3+ flotillas in your fleet. I've been amazed at the lack of firepower acknowledgement a set of 4+ flotillas with Concentrate Fire can dish out on a big Most Wanted target. I would completely changed my goals for my flotillas if my opponent chose Most Wanted. Instead of Support/CommandToken duties, they would instead be aggressive towards the (big) Most Wanted target.

Four flotillas, each with Concentrate Fire, throwing 12 dice isn't something to sneeze at!

I'll happily take Most Wanted if it's the easiest objective when I'm running MSU (no really good target, and I'll usually have the bid too, so activation advantage makes it hard to gang up on the target). Past that, I'll echo what others have said that it tends to get included by default in squad-heavy fleets that aren't necessarily going to take great advantage of it due to the low number of combat ships, so it's weaker there.