RayGuns

heX-Wing 2.0 - the hex variant for X-Wing

I received a few PMs asking if there will be a heX-Wing 2.0. Short answer is that we will have to wait and see. Yes, the movement fundamentals will be the same, but there are a few new features in 2.0 that will need to be considered.

I originally created heX-Wing to keep my friend interested in the game. He hated the "fiddly nature" of the game so much that he was going to burn his game! To prevent this, I had to come up with a solution, so back in December, 2012, heX-Wing began to take shape. No pun intended.

If someone told me at the time that converting the game to use hexes was going to be popular with many players, I would have been surprised. However, if you think about it, I guess I shouldn't be surprised because there are a lot of advantages to using hexes. For one thing, the speed of play is increased dramatically, accidentally bumping ships out of place is a thing of the past, and the overall "fiddly nature" my friend complained about is completely removed from the game.

Also, there are many other advantages including how easy it is to play heX-Wing by chat, e-mail, text messaging, Skype, phone and so on. Even more interesting are the added features others have created. For example, the hidden movement or double blind movement idea the heX-Wing fans have developed. 

No reason not to have a variant, the big difference is if you know a 3bank type maneuver goes 3 up and 3 over, you know exactly where you will land every time and will never land on an asteroid, or bump a ship (unless blocked). Formations will fly perfect without self bumps. It changes a lot of what I myself find fun in the game, and that is the little human errors and setting your ships just a tad off angle at the start of the game then find yourself heading straight for a rock after round 2 when you thought you could just fly by and now have to alter your course.

Is there a way to get the PDF without having to log into BGG?  I'm curious, but hate creating online accounts.

Anyhow, the funny thing to me is that X-Wing movement being straightforward is the biggest reason I'll probably never ever play Crimson Skies again.

15 hours ago, wurms said:

It changes a lot of what I myself find fun in the game, and that is the little human errors and setting your ships just a tad off angle at the start of the game then find yourself heading straight for a rock after round 2 when you thought you could just fly by and now have to alter your course.

I agree with wurms, but all those "little human errors and setting your ships just a tad off angle" is all for nothing or doesn't matter. Let me explain. I see so many players (even at tournaments!!) adjust or tweak their move template, their ship's base, or something else to avoid a ship, asteroid, or whatever. Just recently I was playing x-wing 1.0 and my opponent "tweaked" his move template to avoid another ship. I didn't say anything because to be honest, I do it a little myself, but I think everyone does this, right? However, there some players that do it so much that its more like cheating than anything else! And don't get started on how players "accidentally" bump ships!

I can understand why the OP's friend hated the game because of the "fiddly nature". I too find x-wing a bit fiddly and frustrating at times, but I'm use to it after playing Wings of War for many years, and this game is even more "fiddly" than x-wing!

I have never heard of hex-wing (hex variant for x-wing). Where can I find this hex-wing the OP talks about? Is the speed of play really increased dramatically? And a cure for accidentally bumping ships out of place is a major bonus! This happens a lot in our x-wing games no matter how careful we try to be. I also like the idea of maybe playing this game over Skype.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:07 PM, Force Majeure said:

Yeos please

Here is the heX-Wing file from BGG.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ias0v5uh9h51829/heX-Wing_variant_v2016_6.pdf/file

Edit - I have removed the attached file that was previously listed and instead added the link above.

Edited by spacesound
the DL wasn't working, so I made changes

19 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1

Maybe this will work:

I will edit the above to make sure it works as well.

On 6/23/2018 at 12:22 PM, spacesound said:

"Sopwith" is a WW1 combat game in the skies over Europe. I think what game you meant to reference is "Star Warriors"?

"Star Warriors" is a Star Wars combat game in deep space. Star Warriors has more in common with X-Wing than Sopwith.

pic579979.jpg

No i was referring to the way craft are moved in the sopwith game with a control panel and blind movements.  Its actually a pretty fun game and no fiddling around with templates..the system could easily be adopted to X-wing

On 6/24/2018 at 4:48 PM, spacesound said:

Maybe this will work:

I will edit the above to make sure it works as well.

Nice to see the variant is worth sharing. Don't forget that also available on BGG are hex maps that players can print to make heX-Wing play mats, but there are a lot of choose from. Might not be practice for mediafire.

My school group adopted hexwing shortly after we aquired the game and have never looked back. Absolutely hated the movement templates, and all the jiggery-pokery that they involved...