Sign in to follow this  
Larky Bobble

The X wing 2.0 New Meta will be defined by....

The X wing 2.0 New Meta will be defined by....

Not specifically Fat Han, nor swarms, X wings, Jedi, Sith or the like.

It will be defined by...

The ships and upgrades that are most efficient for their cost! (and are probably less stress to play).

As we don´ t know the cost of anything yet, there is no defining the meta, is there?

Sorry, with so much hyperbole being slung around about what is going to dominate, for sure, I thought I would weigh in with what will dominate, for sure.

...Quadjumpers!  The v2 meta will be defined by Quadjumpers.  5x Quadjumpers will be a thing.  The days of arc-dodging and turrets are over...  Now is the era of throwing your opponent onto rocks!  No longer will we hurl stones at our enemy, but now we shall hurl our enemy at the stones!

Haha 5 quads would be legendary!!!

I'm thinking lists like the following:

> Dutch Vander

> Fenn Rau

> Biggs (or two As/Z's)

> A decent bid

Dutch and Biggs (or the other ordinance carrier) both focus. Fenn Rau PS 6 coordinates the target lock to Dutch, who hands a lock to the other ship.

Fenn/Biggs can team up to help each other stay alive, etc.

1 minute ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

...Quadjumpers!  The v2 meta will be defined by Quadjumpers.  5x Quadjumpers will be a thing.  The days of arc-dodging and turrets are over...  Now is the era of throwing your opponent onto rocks!  No longer will we hurl stones at our enemy, but now we shall hurl our enemy at the stones!

Anything other than FOUR "Quad"Jumpers makes my eye twitch.  

Also allowed: 4 naked JM5Ks dubbed "Quad"Jumpers

As I said I think at first (unless there is some broken OP combo) the meta is going to be between Initiative 6 or Swarms. Then the corrections will pop up and expansions will come in.

This is what I think the sequence of events is going to be:

1. Tournament opens, Int 6 is dominating.
  2. Int 6 gets a point cost increase, Swarms become Dominant.
  3. There will be a spattering of control combinations that will win tournaments, then they will be corrected and no longer as efficient.
  4. We will go back to high initiative turrets and mobility ships.

at least it wont get stale down to one platform until it is displaced by powercreep.

Edited by Marinealver

I'm hoping the meta will be defined less by listbuilding and more by player skill.

Of course, listbuilding will always matter in one way or another, but i'm just hoping that pilots and upgrades are priced the way you can literally take random naked pilots and have a chance with them.

I feel like we're doing it again. People wouldn't touch Special Forces TIE fighters until Lightweight Frame came out, and then many people realized, "Hey, 2 agility on these things isn't so bad when you're trying to stay at range 3 anyway." Well, agility 2 is better in Second Edition than First Edition, yet it seems people have given up on TIE strikers before they've even tried them.

I predict TIE strikers with a TIE reaper or Lambda will do amazing. A little bit of support and beef to help out the squirrelly ships with actions and to take up space. Yeah, it's going to be big. The only thing that hurts the TIE strikers is the prevalence of repositioning, but strikers are one of the few ships that (functionally) get repositioning without losing their other action, and without stress. Also, TIE reaper + TIE strikers is thematic, so I think we'll see a lot of people use them, increasing the likelihood that some of those squads will do well.

Unfortunately, I think "Duchess" will be bonkers good, and at initiative 5, she'll do her part to drive the meta to PS 6.

Wait, do a bunch of strikers count as a swarm? Maybe I'm beating a dead horse by giving a specific example of a "swarm." I think 6+ ships are required for a swarm, but I get the impression that many people here call 'spam generic x' a swarm. At any rate, I think generics will have their place, but combined arms will be key to victory. (TIE swarms do look well positioned with the cool abilities of the TIE fighter pilots, though). Oh, and with the very real possibility that you'll only be able to run two identical generic strikers from a single conversion kit, I think we are very likely to see 2 generics and a striker ace with a support ship as a common, if not powerful, archetype.

P.S. Strikers dropping Seismic Charges to destroy obstacles, and clear the way for their Adaptive Ailerons sounds like a lot of fun!

2 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Here's my guess:

Rebel 4 ships will dominate.

For scum, naked triple igs will be hot.

Boba + guri will make a showing as well.

For empire probably decimator + ace (Defender?)

TIE. Swarm. Iden Versio and Howlrunner are just bonkers together and allow for a variety of setups, presumably. I expect at least mini-swarms to be a staple of imperial listbuilding.

4 hours ago, Zura said:

I'm hoping the meta will be defined less by listbuilding and more by player skill.

Of course, listbuilding will always matter in one way or another, but i'm just hoping that pilots and upgrades are priced the way you can literally take random naked pilots and have a chance with them.

I think the power level isn't coming down enough to make that happen, the strongest synergies and combinations will still be very difficult to overcome if your squad isn't matching them.

1 hour ago, SOTL said:

I adore this optimism.

Minis games metas often adjust due to these factors:

1. Revised edition and relaunch. 

2. New releases with shiney new toys. 

3. FAQ & Errata of existing rules.

4. Tournament performance and netlisting.

Due to inceased communication flow, #4 is much more prevalent than before the Interwebs (I am an old gamer).  The app allows FFG a great tool to bolster #3; this is an innovation that I anticipate seeing used more widely (I recall the age when minis didn’t come with cards, now this is very common because it functions well). 

A tool is merely as useful as the craftsperson that wields it.  FFG saw the need to have this in place. Thus far, the thinking and actions the dev team have taken make sense to me (even if I don’t agree in every instance); I have hope.  

....and a rebellion is based on hope...wait, I mostly play against rebels!  Rebel bias has infected me!

I feel generics will be a huge factor in 2E.  The tighter Initiative values have made Init 3-4 pilots far more effective than the old PS 2-4.  A Saber Squadron Squint has Init 4, which makes him an effective arc-dodger versus all but the very best pilots (Init 5-6).  I imagine these high init super-aces will cost significantly more, so will often bring generic support.  This is my hope for the future of the game - it's nice to fly those super aces around, but I'd rather be flying squadrons.

We know that some regions already have much more distinct metas than others (synched turret ghosts,  anyone?). Are we not considering the possibility that metas may become more regional in 2e? It seems like the meta will be in flux several times a year due to points adjustments, and several other times due to new launches. Are we really so sure that it’ll boil down to an overall meta so quickly? One man’s meta list may be another man’s counter-meta list...

Edited by PaulRuddSays

12 hours ago, HanScottFirst said:

Haha 5 quads would be legendary!!!

I'm thinking lists like the following:

> Dutch Vander

> Fenn Rau

> Biggs (or two As/Z's)

> A decent bid

Dutch and Biggs (or the other ordinance carrier) both focus. Fenn Rau PS 6 coordinates the target lock to Dutch, who hands a lock to the other ship.

Fenn/Biggs can team up to help each other stay alive, etc.

I like that list, but for theme I’d like to use a U-wing instead of Fenn’s ‘pede. 

Edited by BlodVargarna