Boom Owl

Why Are You Actually Bad At X-Wing?

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

I too often commit too early, becoming predicable. 

I often assume I'm better at the mid-game, so I accept an early disadvantageous joust to get close and start doing my thing.

I get tired in late rounds and do the obvious move on key turns.

I'm often bad at matchups against lists that are similar to mine (not mirrors, just similar theme).  I'm not sure why.

I too often plan a turn relying on "average dice" for the move I select to be a good one.

This is basically me.

Also I've lost at least 3 games because I got too aggressive and didn't anticipate Miranda diving toward me and SLAMming into me, turning 99% wins into brutal losses.

1 hour ago, Hawkstrike said:

1. I like playing X-wings.

2. I like to make my own lists.

Those are the only reasons you lose?

51 minutes ago, tron999 said:

I'm bad, and I don't know how to get better, which is the worst.

Honestly, you're in a better place than most of the people who are okay and think they're good.  Self examination is the key to improving.

42 minutes ago, gennataos said:

What’s the definition of bad?  

I interpreted it as "reasons you lose".  Someone can have moments of badness and not be bad, but those moments are significant.

24 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Those are the only reasons you lose?

3. My dice hate me.

4. I make dumb decisions.

5. Sometimes, I can't resist *not* focusing fire.

6. When the temptation comes to go big or go home, I attempt to go big then go home.

7. NYM!!!!!! MIRANDA!!!! BOMBS!!!!!

I don't get anywhere near enough practice games in. The one evening per week that I do play I tend to "waste" half of my games playing a list I enjoy rather than getting reps in with something I would bring to a tournament.

I get serious brain-fade after 2 games or so. I have great difficulty concentrating past a certain point and I make super dumb mistakes.

There's a lot more of course but those are the two largest contributing factors to my badness.

Not enough practice with my list against different enough lists to know good strategies against each when I run up against them in competition.

Have at times shot the wrong thing first.

Don't play enough, generally. 

Haven't played a game in almost 2 years now.. considering a store champ this season... I am not familiar with all the new combos and expect to be a deer in headlights with my generic imp miniswarm running against meta lists.

11 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

3. I talk and type more about X-Wing than I play X-Wing

8. I often shoot the wrong thing first

13. I dont always have a plan 

Having a kid really helped with #3, but a mix of #8 & #13 has been my downfall so many times. I'm a much better tactical player than a strategic player so I'll often dig myself a hole with bad setups, openings, target priority etc. in the initial rounds and then have to rely on tactics to swing things back in my favor during the match. It doesn't always work out that great. I've been playing for 4 years now and I still only have a rudimentary grasp on the Turn 0 aspect of the game. I'm not sure how to train my brain to think that way?

7 hours ago, Biophysical said:

So you play extremely well all the time and list selection is the only reason you lose?

If you select bad lists, then you probably don't play well, especially with good lists (since you have no practice with them). Part of the game is list selection so if you are terrible at that or even if you depend on net lists then you are not going to be good at X-wing. Nothing wrong with netlists, it is just that you have to have an understanding of what makes that netlist good and really an understanding of your own quirks and play-style temperaments. There is a reason why Paul Heaver plays rebels even when scum had made a better turret list.

But mainly I try to find what was broken (early 1st edition munitions) and see why they don't work. I already nailed down the flaw, target lock vs arc dodgers, and MoV points. There ar times I do bring a more suitable tournament list (Chewbo, Palp Rac Whisper) but still lose.

So yeah I suck at X-wing, what is your excuse you scruffy-looking nerf herder.:P

Who-s-scruffy-looking-han-solo-30040999-

I am bad because:

I never intentionally learn how to fly lists I didn't build. (example, I flew Poe/Nym/Bandit, I built it myself, and took 2nd that league, Now I am flying controlbots and can't win.

I almost never fly meta that is innately good, like nymranda or ghostfenn.

I Typically make moves that make next turn very hard.

My dice Strategy fails at key times. But sometimes it really is the dice fault.

1 hour ago, Jeff Wilder said:

What's the definition of good at X-Wing?

That's the thing isn't it. In my opinion if you can actually correctly identify why you are bad in game or after you are probably reasonably good at the game.

For me it's down to 3 things mainly:

- Not enough practice and limited pool of opponents. We have a small community and most of my 50-60 games a year end up being played against the same handful of guys. This, as I've painfully learned at my first System Open in Bologna, puts me at a pretty big disadvantage vs. guys who employ lists I know in surprising ways. 

- Not having a plan past the initial engagement. I usually have a pretty good idea how I want to approach the first engagement (executing the plan , but after that I find myself seldom planning more than 1 turn ahead. 

- Morale. I get discouraged too easily when I make a big mistake or when dice refuse to cooperate in a crucial moment, and the game just spirals downward from there. My epic comebacks are few and far between, although I'm improving here lately. 

I know I’m awful at opening engagements and range control. I’m decent at reading the board and remembering interactions, but I usually don’t plan more than a move ahead unless I’m really in my game. I also don’t get out to FLGS enough and play almost strictly casual games.

Because I want games to be fast pace and "active" (rolling dice, damage cards, things like that), so I basically don't give a flip about  making the best move.  If I know I'll have a shot I'll do that.  Even if it means having a bad trade/joust 

1) I just don't practice enough. I know I should practice a heck of a lot more, yet unless there's something on the line I never seem to find the motivation to really give things a proper run, and have an odd fear that letting my fellow players 'see my list' will give away its hidden talents. (To be fair, my lists do tend to surprise people on the first couple games, and it's an advantage I'd love to keep if I could practice simultaneously, but our player base is small enough that 'practice at all' is usually 'practice against the folks I'll be competing with'.)

2) Related to 1, the spatial element of the game remains a constant struggle - I really need to just practice flying so I don't clip asteroids, or dial in the wrong speed out of a fear of bumping something.

3) Also related to 1, aheh, is that I can be blindsided by certain styles of lists, and have no real game plan on how to beat 'em.

4) And just before this starts sounding like "Oh, I am perfect except I need to practice more"... I tend to be aggressive and impatient in my opening gambits; this usually works OK, up until I run into a list that can simply swim round me - Phantoms and Strikers cause me particular headaches, for instance, and often mean I've sacrificed long-term positioning for what should have been an early complication. I keep doing it anyway.

5) I tend to be aggressive and impatient in my endgame too, often gambling on setting up a good shot at the risk of exploding. If the dice work out, it's fantastic. If they don't... well, 'smarter' play might've bought me a few more rounds to keep trying, y'know?

... so basically I'm not too bad at list building, and my flying is at least generally competent, but if I want to do well, I gotta get off my lazy *** and get on with it. And then when I am getting on with it, be a little less impatient in doing it. :P

Edited by Reiver

It’s turn zero for me. If I have someone to show me the setups and rock placements for a list, or at the very least time to observe I do much better. 

I like to think my general strategy and plan going into most games is solid, but I can fail on my tactics to execute my plan effectively. Often, this happens because of too much aggression, especially coming into the first engagements, which often can hang a ship out to dry before combat really starts

7 hours ago, dolfiejay said:

That's the thing isn't it. In my opinion if you can actually correctly identify why you are bad in game or after you are probably reasonably good at the game.

Maybe.  But what's the standard?  Let me use me as an example.

I've made the Top Eight cut in three of the six Regionals in which I've competed.  I've won eight Store Championships, and Top Foured probably 10 more. I've won charity events and I-don't-even-know-how-many kit tournaments.

Am I good at X-Wing?

7 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Maybe.  But what's the standard?  Let me use me as an example.

I've made the Top Eight cut in three of the six Regionals in which I've competed.  I've won eight Store Championships, and Top Foured probably 10 more. I've won charity events and I-don't-even-know-how-many kit tournaments.

Am I good at X-Wing?

Yup

12 hours ago, Biophysical said:

I interpreted it as "reasons you lose".  Someone can have moments of badness and not be bad, but those moments are significant.

****, if that’s the case, I’m not sure if I can fully enumerate why I’m bad.

• I default to flying what I love, content with something being “good enough” (which is a valid reason for losing, @Boom Owl!)
  • I don’t pay close enough attention to my opponents list
  • I let repeatedly poor dice variance frustrate me, which then impacts my ‘care-o-meter’ and enjoyment of the game
  • I give too much credit to players who I think are good
  • I don’t give enough credit to players who I think are bad
  • I don’t think enough turns ahead
  • I don’t plan for and work towards where my ideal engagement should occur
  • I don’t know if I care enough to fix any of it

That last part is the biggest one for me.  I remember when I first read an X-Wing article, after I’d been playing for a couple months with friends. It was about one of Paul Heaver’s Worlds wins.  He was holding up a playmat he’d won.  I kept digging around, trying to see where the payoff was.  There wasn’t one.

That’s the confusing part about competitive X-Wing for me and something I can’t really reconcile for myself.  We’re playing for trophies and alternate art stuff of game components we already own.  That stuff is cool, and I know there’s a market for it, which can net decent money, but...there’s no purse.  I’m not sure why it’s made into as much of a big as it is by a lot of us.  Why play some meta garbage that you don’t like (or convinced yourself that you like)?  To win sparkly dice?  If you step back and think about it, that’s pretty funny.  And silly.  The competitive approach to this game (and maybe most competitive games?...this is the only one I play) is just weird.

Maybe (hopefully) 2.0 will somehow remove the prisoner’s dilemma from the competitive X-Wing equation and everyone will just get to play stuff they like and isn’t hated by half the community.

I am actually bad in X-Wing because I limit myself. I only buy ships I like and I never proxi a thing. I don't mix eras. I despise flying broken stuff. That is the reason why my best result in our competetive group was being 4th at the Store Championship.

"I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me."
― The Bad Guy Affirmation

1. I'm too aggressive at times. What is this pulling back and regrouping thing you speak of?

2. I am a bit of a special snowflake and have to run something different than everyone else. It isn't always a great list. It also means that I don't fly and get to know some of the top ships in the meta (ie Miranda and Nym).

3. Most of my practice is against my 11 yr old (who beats me more often than I would like to admit.)

4. I don't understand my win conditions well enough and don't approach each battle with a specific plan for success. (Kill em all isn't quite good enough.)

On a side note coming in dead last in my first regional cured my of one of reasons for being bad. That is the last time I picked a list based upon what ships I had repainted. Now I repaint based upon the lists I want to fly.

I've not gotten any games in this year and would have sold my collection if 2.0 had been announced a few weeks too late. When I get back to the table I exepct to be way out of the loop. I still know what makes a good list, so no worries in that department, but oh boy will I crash some ships!