Boom Owl

Why Are You Actually Bad At X-Wing?

Be honest this time, why are you actually bad at X-Wing? Its not because you run jank lists or change your list to often or hold yourself to some code of honor everyone else doesnt. Its not. Seriously its not the reason your bad. Its not because your opponent takes good things and you choose not to, or because your opponents are bad. Its something else.

What do you actually do thats dumb or what do you depend on that makes you bad? 

1. I default to jousts far to often

2. I dont always inform decisions with math

3. I talk and type more about X-Wing than I play X-Wing

4. I am still intimidated or impressed by top 8-32 games at big tournaments

5. I practice mainly against turret defense lists that have a knowable position at all times instead of real lists that move dynamically and spread out on approach and are unpredictable.

6. I take the incorrect action with high frequency. I often dont even know what the correct action is. Same is true for dial selection.

7. I dont recognize when I can be blocked or when I can block or even range control

8. I often shoot the wrong thing first

9. I depend on High PS and Missiles as a crutch

10. The only time I ever did genuinely well at a tournament I used Kylo Crew

11. I go where arcs and bombs are or will be instead of where they arent or wont be

12. I dont always see challenging mechanics as a puzzle and jump to quickly to the assumption that they are broken or unsolvable or unfair

13. I dont always have a plan 

14. I think "insert list here" is hard to use or high skill...hint its not.

15. I depend on variance without knowing thats what I am doing.

The day of reckoning is upon us all.

Soon we will all play real X-Wing.

I am genuinely bad at X-Wing.

Why are you bad at X-Wing?

Edited by Boom Owl

2, 3, the high PS bit of 9 and I play in an area that is super casual so a lot of the time in order to get games I’m running a list that contains only one ship with the load-out that will make it to my competitive lists.  Often the rest of the list is deliberately bad (when I was trying out Rey I mostly ran her with R2 Astromech Poe doing a bad Soontir impression for example).  I do occasionally get to play practice games with another competative player, and we run those on Listener principals, but not nearly enough.

I will never win a tournament, because:

I am sometimes overconfident.

I dont make game plans past the initial engage.

I dont netlist and refuse to play some very powerful combos such as palp aces.

Most of all: I dont take xwing seriously enough. I am a filthy casual at heart.

Edited by MaxPower

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Be honest this time, why are you actually bad at X-Wing? Its not because you run jank lists or change your list to often or hold yourself to some code of honor everyone else doesnt. Its not. Seriously its not the reason your bad. Its not because your opponent takes good things and you choose not to, or because your opponents are bad. Its something else.

What do you actually do thats dumb or what do you depend on that makes you bad? 

I do understand what you're saying here, but denying it won't help me. I'll openly admit I'm worse at winning X-wing than I could be specifically because I don't fly the meta. I'm also bad at X-wing because:

I don't have a specific crutch, but often depend heavily on a single key element in a list. Asajj, Dash and a Defender are my go-to choices for each faction.

I 'chase the rabbit' when I heavily wound a ship, when it is often a good idea to disengage and reform for another pass. Dash is my bane.

I can over commit to an attack - range 1 this turn can be worse than two range 2 shots and better positioning over 2 turns.

I can't predict advanced sensors ships at all. ControlBots are ridiculous, but Kylo is also up there.

I play way less than I could

I don't grind meta lists to understand them and am therefore not able to beat them consistently (e. g. nymranda, ghost fenn) 

I trigger on janky combos and try to make them work

I take incorrect actions, for example focus when I know that there is a high probability that I want to glitterstim in the same round

I don't know how to deal with alpha strike missile / torpedo lists

I still wonder if I will hit the rock or not in certain situations, leaving me with overly safe decisions

I missed points in this list

Edited by flooze

I often try to make stuff that doesn't work, work. (Stress Ion control, TIE Bombers, HWK-290 and Horton, Pilot Ski, ahem* Initiate 4).

When they work they work great, but most of the time they have very easy counters that is almost always available to top meta lists.

I'm a brand new player (have yet to play a single game - will wait for 2.0), but I guess I'll commit some of these:

1. I default to jousts far to often (I'm a fan of Fang Fighters, after all)

3. I talk and type more about X-Wing than I play X-Wing (sadly life has other plans and steals my gaming time far too often!)

4. I am still intimidated or impressed by top 8-32 games at big tournaments (I'm quite in the casual spectre and I don't plan on buying a ship just because it's the best one...)

6. I take the incorrect action with high frequency. I often dont even know what the correct action is. Same is true for dial selection. Until I learn how enemy ships and playstyles do on the table, I'll make a lot of these!)

But the truth is this ?:

im-not-bad-im-just-flown-that-way.png

I too often commit too early, becoming predicable. 

I often assume I'm better at the mid-game, so I accept an early disadvantageous joust to get close and start doing my thing.

I get tired in late rounds and do the obvious move on key turns.

I'm often bad at matchups against lists that are similar to mine (not mirrors, just similar theme).  I'm not sure why.

I too often plan a turn relying on "average dice" for the move I select to be a good one.

3 hours ago, Astech said:

I do understand what you're saying here, but denying it won't help me. I'll openly admit I'm worse at winning X-wing than I could be specifically because I don't fly the meta. I'm also bad at X-wing because:

I don't have a specific crutch, but often depend heavily on a single key element in a list. Asajj, Dash and a Defender are my go-to choices for each faction.

It might not always be top meta, but they're not not meta.

2 hours ago, Marinealver said:

I often try to make stuff that doesn't work, work. (Stress Ion control, TIE Bombers, HWK-290 and Horton, Pilot Ski, ahem* Initiate 4).

When they work they work great, but most of the time they have very easy counters that is almost always available to top meta lists.

So you play extremely well all the time and list selection is the only reason you lose?

Edited by Biophysical

3 hours ago, Stefan said:

Lack of practice because of that **** real life that gets in the way.

Mostly this. Which leads to quite a lot of the reasons listed. Mainly lacking any plan beyond 'pew pew?' Coupled with failing to anticipate where ships will be in a couple of turns - mine and my opponent's.

So, I then fly stuff I don't mind losing with since having a boring game is worse than losing to me. (So no Ghost/Fenn even though I'd win more using it. I'd still be beaten by any top player.)

I don't think I'm particularly bad at xwing, but I could definitely be better if I didn't make stupid assumptions on my opponent list/crit like playing a whole game against a Vader considering his boost action while he has no engine upgrade or confusing the crit of no action with the one of less agility

4 minutes ago, tron999 said:

I'm bad, and I don't know how to get better, which is the worst.

If you really want to improve, my advice it's to never blame dice on a loss (it happens maybe once in 20 games to have a game decided by dice luck, unless of course you are listbuilding specifically to relay on dice, but then you shouldn't blame luck either) and ask your opponents what they think you should have done differently.

You have to listen to them thought and not dismiss it