Orkimedes

Tournaments and sharing dice

All,

What are your thoughts on the tourney regs for using dice?  The tourney regs state you must bring "sufficient dice for attack and defense rolls."  Does this mean if you are running fleet troopers (10-12 white dice) or an AT-RT flamethrower (potentially 12 black dice) you need a core set + 3 dice packs?  What if you are defending against those rolls?

This seems a little ridiculous to me, but what do you think?

Just now, beefcake4000 said:

What sort of toss pots are you playing against that this has even come up? 

It certainly hasn’t been an issue in any pick up games I’ve played.

I was just reading a strategy article about fleet troopers and the writer talked about getting three dice packs for a “tournament legal” dice pool.  Just thought it was a little odd.

38 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Ever run a full Fleet Troopers group?

Of course I have and I just ask my opponents to borrow their dice... when they need some in return, guess what they do! I feel sorry for anyone who plays against people who would rather debate elements of tournament regs than just share. FFS how ludicrous. 

It’s slow and annoying. Moreover it is more prone to lead to mis-remembered or inaccurately read dice. I would much rather loan my dice to an opponent. 

Edited by kac

I usually mark the hits/crits with other colors in a way that's fully visible to both me and my opponent (this comes up a lot since I use Flamethrowers and Fleets.) I'll roll the first 5 of a 10 die shot, mark the hits and crits somewhere, then roll the second 5 and add them together.

Sure, if you don’t mind not getting your dice back because you didn’t know your opponent and forgot to count your dice to make sure you had them all or you were rushed out of the venue area due to outside circumstances, by all means loan away.

I've got a core set plus one dice pack, and I know I'll get more dice with the Clone Wars starter, so I'll be at 9 dice each. And who knows if they come up with a third starter for more factions, so no more dice pack for me.

Posted (edited)

"Sufficient dice" is really just one of each color and type, since you can reroll them. Of course, I think it's more convenient to have a lot more, and I don't think it would unreasonable for the tournament regulations to require that you have at least one dice pack/core set's worth of dice.

Edited by arnoldrew

On 6/23/2019 at 11:01 AM, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

Sure, if you don’t mind not getting your dice back because you didn’t know your opponent and forgot to count your dice to make sure you had them all or you were rushed out of the venue area due to outside circumstances, by all means loan away.

I know you meant this sarcastically, but yes that is *exactly* my attitude. Sharing and a generous spirit are important, so I just get enough dice/tokens that I'm happy to share and I try and avoid knowing just how many I have so the loss of of a few bucks of dice never upsets me.

Some people are superstitious about their dice (or touchy about other people handling their minis, etc) and sure, I'll respect that, but it's not who I want to be.

2 hours ago, crx3800 said:

Let's not fool ourselves. We're all gonna have enough dice after Clone Wars comes out. Be kind and share until then. :D

I *may* have put my name down for two more core sets...