Sign in to follow this  
Bucknife

The biggest problem with 2.0.... is 1.0.

I haven't talked to anyone who thinks that X-wing Second Edition, or most any of the updates we know about, are a bad idea.

What I have seen and heard a lot is that people are upset with idea of "spending more money to play with what I already own". 

In other words, 

The biggest problem with 2.0 is not really a problem with 2.0, it's a  problem most people have with the conversion concept, which is based on the inherent challenges associated with a company changing its business goals for a large game.

Well, what has changed about the business goals of X-wing? The biggest thing, in my opinion is this:

Players will no longer will feel compelled to buy every ship from every faction in order to feel like they can compete. In fact it's not just feeling... It's reality: you generally had to buy ships from every faction in 1st Ed. in order to have the options you need to be competitive and meta-flexible.

2nd Edition is a MAJOR shift from the buying mentality of 1st edition, and the fallout is causing a lot of players grief who HAVE bought into the old "buy every ship, usually more than once, to have the cards you need to make a the squad combinations to be competitive".

Frankly, this was one of this biggest factors of 1st edition Xwing that I personally saw push people out of playing competitively. The game was incredibly affordable up front, but then pulled the whole "well, this awesome card is over here, and this one over here" trick to encourage people to be ultra-completionists and keep buying all the expansions.

Hence, the future ships in the game going for $20+ instead of 15, because players are going to be able to stick to their ONE faction and not be punished competitively for doing so. 

In conclusion, the biggest issue with 2.0 is the headaches caused by fans from 1st Edition feeling the growing pains of a game that was using a different buying theology and shifting into a MUCH HEALTHIER buying theology. 

FFG wants us to spend LESS money on Xwing, so that we can spend more money on other games.... (*Cough*cough* legion *cough* cough*)... Which, for me, is a happy thing.

My prediction:

A much larger and healthier competitive game based on a universe of ships we all love and enjoy........with a much smaller headache for storage and budgeting.... And greater flexibility to spend on other games without compromising our competitive position in Xwing.

All ye who MUST buy every ship from every faction...... and EVERY dial MUST be converted or bust...........

You have my condolences.

s-l300.jpg

I think one of the reasons x-wing is going to the “can focus on one faction” mentality is FFG has more games that people are buying now.    This way I can focus on Legion and x-wing Imperial factions.

Of course, the buying a ship for the upgrade idea probably hurt them as well, as some would sell the parts they don't want on the secondary market which means FFG doesn't see money from it - though this is admittedly minor.

Personally, the conversion kit is a godsend to me.   I have very limited funds, fly almost exclusively Imperial (and First Order) so I can now get every ship I own back on the table with one kit - yes, I'm the person who didn't buy duplicate skus, **** there are lots of ships I didn't get to buy.

Truly the ONLY thing that bothers me is I just bought a Silencer weeks before the announcement, and not only are the sequel factions not coming right away, but they are redoing the model - it is my first regrettable purchase. 

I'm happy with 2.0 specifically because of the change from "must buy every ship from every faction". That was the reason I stopped playing X-wing competitively, I couldn't justify buying a ton of Rebel ships just to fly my Imperial/Scum tourney lists. The conversion kits are great as well- I've bought around six ships with just the model in preparation for 2.0 that I never would have bought in 1.0 because they either weren't my flying style or didn't have cards I needed. Now I've got **** near a full set of ships for Scum and Imperial squadrons that I can convert fairly cheaply to play in the new system.

FFG have said that you won't have to buy other factions' ships just for cards,  but they never said a card will come to all factions in the same wave. 

As such, it s entirely possible some cross-faction purchases will still be encouraged, at least for competitive players, who want that 'must have' card now, and not in 6 months. 

1 hour ago, LordBlades said:

FFG have said that you won't have to buy other factions' ships just for cards,  but they never said a card will come to all factions in the same wave. 

As such, it s entirely possible some cross-faction purchases will still be encouraged, at least for competitive players, who want that 'must have' card now, and not in 6 months. 

There's already an example in the conversion kits - Maul is usable with Rebel squads but only comes in the Scum kit.

FFG's new model is marketing spin applied to their old model.

20 minutes ago, kraedin said:

There's already an example in the conversion kits - Maul is usable with Rebel squads but only comes in the Scum kit.

FFG's new model is marketing spin applied to their old model.

Or, hear me out on this... He's coming out in the next wave for rebels and ffg didn't think rebels needs him in the first wave?

7 minutes ago, Hujoe Bigs said:

Or, hear me out on this... He's coming out in the next wave for rebels and ffg didn't think rebels needs him in the first wave?

Which is exactly the point I was making. If there is a competitive Rebel build with Maul, a Rebel player has to either buy the Scum conversion kit or accept he can't run that until FFG deems fit to put Maul in a Rebel pack 

Or trade with a friend who has a spare because they bought two kits, Maul is unique after all. 

But also yes, "wait" might be appropriate since Maul only works in Rebel teams with Ezra and some competitive events will not be allowing Ezra right away, only Wave I content. I expect this will continue for some time, so it's entirely possible many "competitive" events which need "competitive" builds can't legally use Maul anyway. 

2 hours ago, LordBlades said:

Which is exactly the point I was making. If there is a competitive Rebel build with Maul, a Rebel player has to either buy the Scum conversion kit or accept he can't run that until FFG deems fit to put Maul in a Rebel pack 

Or trade. Or purchase second hand.

6 hours ago, Hexdot said:

I do not need your condolences. My money, my models. I own 15 Huge Ships. No Epic 2.0. So no new 2.0 at all.

Play as you want. Keep your condolences out of my table. Thanks a lot.

Owning 15 huge ships is a clear indicator that you have an abundance of discretionary funds on hand and a comparatively low sense  to stop buying things you don’t need. 

See you in 2.0 come September. 

7 hours ago, Bucknife said:

My prediction:

A much larger and healthier competitive game based on a universe of ships we all love and enjoy........with a much smaller headache for storage and budgeting.... And greater flexibility to spend on other games without compromising our competitive position in Xwing.

Totally reasonable and well thought out post. 

DOOOOOMMMMM!

2 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

Or trade. Or purchase second hand.

While these are options (more or less reasonable depending on where you live and how big your local community is), it still doesn't change the fact that FFG will likely not release all mulți-faction cards at the same time for all factions, rendering their promise of not having to buy other factions kinda moot for people wanting to go to tournaments. 

15 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

But also yes, "wait" might be appropriate since Maul only works in Rebel teams with Ezra and some competitive events will not be allowing Ezra right away, only Wave I content. I expect this will continue for some time, so it's entirely possible many "competitive" events which need "competitive" builds can't legally use Maul anyway. 

I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of competitive events allowing conversion kit contents, otherwise many existing players will be quite unhappy (and rightfully so). 

5 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

Owning 15 huge ships is a clear indicator that you have an abundance of discretionary funds on hand and a comparatively low sense  to stop buying things you don’t need. 

See you in 2.0 come September. 

Jump calculations complete. No need to continue being "divergent" but a few words...

Try 800-1000 pts Team Epic. Cinematic. Avoid 100/6 mentality. Try Primary, Secondary and Terciary Objectives. Forget about pts value when writing the scenario. 

Never deploted more than 3 CR 90s or Raiders... But I can remember 4 GR 75 on the table. Divergent way to enjoy the game.

Perhaps my first time as a "rude boy" here. So time to leave. Not proud of it. But...

Adapt & Improve. 

Jumping now!!!

locally, the only people i hear complaining about 2.0 price are the people that dont play ANY other miniature game. The rest of us that play 40k or Warmahordes arent even phased by it.

New editions are always a bit of a money dump to keep playing, but theyre worth it most of the time (looking at you 8th WHFantasy...). Xwing 2.0 is a bit higher price than usual but theres significantly more than a simple rulebook being produced so its understandable, and even then its not that bad.

People (including me) that play all 3 factions effectively have 3 armies to choose from. Converting 1 army in 40k to a new edition usually costs around ~50-70 depending on how douchy GW wants to be with codex prices. And thats just for rules, not new units or new models for old units etc etc. Which is why for the time being i only plan to buy the Imperial converter box, keep the cost down until i know i like 2.0 to buy everything. 
Going forward you will not be required to buy everything to get all the cards. 99% sure they mentioned there will be card boxes for all the cards in each wave going forward.