eliteone

Can FFG win the trust and excitement of the Armada community back?

What do you all think?

Any good will that FFG had built up with the Armada players seems long dead and buried. Even if you got whatever your wish is for the game: new waves, campaign box, Super Star Destroyer, new faction etc., would it hype you enough to get over the neglect, lack of news and overall awful PR dumpster-fire that is FFG's Star Wars Armada? 

What would they have to do at this point to win you back over, to reinvigorate the community? 

39 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Can we talk about something interesting? Wallowing in self pity doesnt look good on anyone.

So what do you think England's chances are in their group? And if you feel up for a lengthy diatribe for a country you're not even in right now, how do you fix US soccer?

22 minutes ago, geek19 said:

So what do you think England's chances are in their group?

Well I was initially apprehensive but now that we've had some positive communication from Gareth Southgate I can really start to support England to top the group despite the power of Belgium 2.0. Playing Young instead of Rose at left back is a really inspired expansion of the England 3-5-2 mechanics that have been used in the latest waves. Tunisia may offer some resistance, however, I cant help to feel that they are just a reincarnation of Panama, destined to be folded after a short run in the campaign.

22 minutes ago, geek19 said:

And if you feel up for a lengthy diatribe for a country you're not even in right now, how do you fix US soccer?

By acknowledging that playing only sports that the US can win by not having any competition, (American Football, Baseball and to a large degree Ice Hockey), is incredibly dull and starting to invest in the grass roots of other sports including soccer. That said, its interesting that there are serious plans to expland the NFL abroad in the UK, which may help stop American Football being considered a farce.

Just now, Ginkapo said:

By acknowledging that playing only sports that the US can win by not having any competition, (American Football, Baseball and to a large degree Ice Hockey), is incredibly dull and starting to invest in the grass roots of other sports including soccer. That said, its interesting that there are serious plans to expland the NFL abroad in the UK, which may help stop American Football being considered a farce.

American Football IS a farce.  And more people are growing to realize it, as while soccer "can" give you concussions and CTE, it's nowhere near as definite as sustained Football play.  Add on that to the intense greed of the owners against their own players (don't get me started on the political aspects of Kaepernick, this isn't the forum for it) and their.... attempts to.... handle the patriotism.... issue.  That's as calm as i can be about that.  But when I have kids, they're not playing football.

As for baseball, I like the sport, it's just not a European one.  Japan/China, the Caribbean/somewhat South America, etc.  It's cricket with a wonky rule system, and it's a matter of Coke or Pepsi in your choice of Cricket or Baseball, IMO.  Outside of Britain and its former colonies, I ask unknowingly, how big is Cricket in the rest of Europe? It's a game of tradition and history and more an experience than a game, and I won't begrudge people who don't like it, even though I do.

25 minutes ago, geek19 said:

I ask unknowingly, how big is Cricket in the rest of Europe? 

Not huge in the rest of Europe, but it’s a “rest of the world” and Oceania thing...  it’s considered second only behind Soccer as a “world wide” sport, and the Cricket World Cup oft shows it.

32 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

What is it with Europe whining about football and baseball and not understanding that its about US cities competing amongst each other and not the rest of the world.   Enjoy your soccer we're fine over here without it.

45 minutes ago, Shazbot said:

What is it with Europe whining about football and baseball and not understanding that its about US cities competing amongst each other and not the rest of the world.   Enjoy your soccer we're fine over here without it.

Context is everything. I cannot answer a question about american soccer without discussing american football. 

2 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Context is everything. I cannot answer a question about american soccer without discussing american football. 

Especially considering that our kids are pushed often into ONE sport. You play football? Nothing else for you, all football all the time. And when soccer doesn't give out scholarships slash professional contracts on the level of money and notoriety as football's, wellllllllll you kinda need to.

10 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

I always wondered about why it is called football. An eventually hit with the foot doesn't justify the name IMHO. Is there something else?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-American-football-called-football-as-most-of-the-sport-involves-using-your-hands

Because it's a variation on Rugby Football, which was named football at the time because it is played on foot and not from horseback.

the-more-you-know.png

3 hours ago, geek19 said:

And when soccer doesn't give out scholarships slash professional contracts on the level of money and notoriety as football's, wellllllllll you kinda need to.

Playing a sport shouldn’t necessarily mean banking your future on it. They can also be, y’know, fun.

9 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Playing a sport shouldn’t necessarily mean banking your future on it. They can also be, y’know, fun.

But you're a lot more likely to have professional athletes pursuing sports that can, in the right circumstances, pay very well. It's kind of a self-fulfilling cycle. A cycle that seems like it's starting to break down when it comes to American football, anyways - lots of kids playing soccer nowadays, less kids playing football. Turns out parents aren't keen on brain damage for their kids for some reason. Sheer numbers of potential athletes and interested spectators should start tipping things more in soccer's favor within a generation or so, some have postulated.

Speaking for myself as a father, football is the only sport that my son just flat out won't be allowed to play because of the risk of concussion. And if he's going to grow up to be a big broad-shouldered 6'4" (or more?) dude like me, he will have no shortage of coaches asking him to play.

7 hours ago, eliteone said:

What do you all think?

Any good will that FFG had built up with the Armada players seems long dead and buried. Even if you got whatever your wish is for the game: new waves, campaign box, Super Star Destroyer, new faction etc., would it hype you enough to get over the neglect, lack of news and overall awful PR dumpster-fire that is FFG's Star Wars Armada? 

What would they have to do at this point to win you back over, to reinvigorate the community? 

Your question is inherently flawed. Anyone who has Given up already (and therefore needs winning back) is not reading this forum. 

Edited by beefcake4000

1 minute ago, beefcake4000 said:

Your question is inherently flawed. Anyone who has Given up already (and therefore needs winning back) is not reading this forum. 

Not entirely true.

There are some who have given up and come back on occasion to ****post now and then...  Or who are on permanent hiatus and playing Legion instead, kind of thing...

I mean, I could name a few, but that wouldn't be "nice".

Also, "Nice" is a weird word.  

Like, we don't use it the main way it was intended to be used...  Since its primary meaning (as I understand it) was closer to "Pleasant to eat."

So, "You look nice in that dress." really has an entirely differing connotation than you probably intended.

Well ok,

6 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

By acknowledging that playing only sports that the US can win by not having any competition, (American Football, Baseball and to a large degree Ice Hockey), is incredibly dull and starting to invest in the grass roots of other sports including soccer.

I'd caution you to go break down the nationalities of the majority of players in the NHL. Around half of the players are Canadian. The US accounts for maybe a third of the players. Russia, Scandinavia and Central Europe are also major players in the Sport. Baseball as has been mentioned encompasses a huge part of Latin America as well as several Asian countries. The NFL is a fair point for your argument, similarly is the NBA.

6 hours ago, geek19 said:

It's cricket with a wonky rule system[...]  Outside of Britain and its former colonies, I ask unknowingly, how big is Cricket in the rest of Europe? It's a game of tradition and history and more an experience than a game, and I won't begrudge people who don't like it, even though I do.

Wonky is a matter of perspective. Go to https://www.sporcle.com/games/bazmerelda/cricket and then tell me that Cricket may not also be wonky. Former colonies? Maybe not all of them, specifically the US and Canada.

6 hours ago, Shazbot said:

I'm not American, but one thing I have learned in my many years of interneting is that there are (at least) two constants.

1) Europeans complaining about American Football, or as they affectionately call it: Handegg.

2) Americans complaining that most Football/Soccer players are divers that put Hollywood actors to shame.

The most interesting part of this back and forth is that both parties are correct.

2 hours ago, mr_mithrandir said:

I was never angry, but I sure wouldn’t mind a medium based Dreadnought for the Empire… or a small based cruiser. You know like those Strike Class? Or is it Carrack Class… either or. ?

Back to the point here I think. I'd love a Carrack Class. I think the issue is that the current canon material for the Galactic Civil War has been somewhat exhausted. Rebels and Rogue One gave a nice boost with the Quasar, Hammerhead, Profundity and (I know, I know, don't give me the Thrawn treatment) Chimaera expansions. But where do we go from here? Sequel trilogies? Prequel Trilogies? Solo? Barah'tok Class Gunship? DP 20 Frigate? It's a question that everyone has been asking, but no-one has been answering.

58 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

So, "You look nice in that dress." really has an entirely differing connotation than you probably intended.

The most important post on this thread! This sort of thing has caused me more trouble that I'd like to admit on multiple occasions. Thrawn looks nice in his dress whites though.

9 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Oh God, your talking about sports...

Can we go back to wallowing in self pity, it would be more interesting. 

Let them have their denial. I'm setting my expectations low + preparing for the next wave to be the last Armada wave. 

No news is not good news. 

9 hours ago, eliteone said:

What do you all think?

I'm fine with the negativity. I doubt it without a serious amount of focus which won't happen. I get why people say this game was dead in the past, it's not supported. FFG might not have put an axe in it's head but the lack of communication has pulled all of the air out of the room, eventually we're going to have to leave the room or suffocate. 

Any amount of “neglect, lack of news and overall awful PR dumpster-fire...” can be gotten over, but it takes time. One big fancy splash release won’t do it. Regular, consistent, quality support does it. How long it takes to get over it depends on how long it has gone on, the clock is ticking. But given enough time, effort, and investment most fans will eventually come back. 

Just look at GW. 

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Not entirely true.

There are some who have given up and come back on occasion to ****post now and then...  Or who are on permanent hiatus and playing Legion instead, kind of thing...

I mean, I could name a few, but that wouldn't be "nice".

Also, "Nice" is a weird word.  

Like, we don't use it the main way it was intended to be used...  Since its primary meaning (as I understand it) was closer to "Pleasant to eat."

I'm sure there are more than a few who check in on the boards to see if anything new drops rather than the front page, because... well the front page hasn't been entirely kind to Armada fans as of late.