FranquesEnbiens

Regionals Results Thread

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

This is isn’t an extreme situation. That is a fairly normal Spearstar. I face this and have to learn to fight it. Stop ******* and start learning. 

Let's keep this a little cleaner, shall we?

I'll be happy to take this list against your Daqan and fancy my chances

15 minutes ago, Corto said:

Let's keep this a little cleaner, shall we?

I'll be happy to take this list against your Daqan and fancy my chances

Eh. I got a bit wound up typing it. I’m a bit tired of “well, he brought Uthuk. So that’s why,” response I get every single time I win something and post AAR. Store champs, regionals, Adepticon. Same responses for all of them from people. None (or very few) are directly straight at me, but the griping and attitude that “of course it was Uthuk” still bugs me. I’m going to North American Championship at Gencon. If I were to win there, I’ll still hear the same griping. It gets old. It wouldnt bother me if I was a WAAC, but I chose Uthuk for theme and game mechanics.

I’ll be taking Waiqar if I go to a second regionals.

I also don’t have Daqan, so I couldn’t take you up on that. 

7 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I’m a bit tired of “well, he brought Uthuk. So that’s why,” response I get every single time I win something and post AAR. Store champs, regionals, Adepticon. Same responses for all of them from people. None (or very few) are directly straight at me, but the griping and attitude that “of course it was Uthuk” still bugs me.

It is possible to lose with Uthuk.  Not all regional players brought Uthuk.  It is also not out of bounds to say some things offer competitive advantage.

For instance no one would expect to win with 11 units of naked 2x1 spearmen.  Some lists are better than others.

What irritates me the most isn't the "netdecking" that goes on.  It's when people go out, netdeck, not do well and then throw a fit because they thought they brought the nut list. 

Using any list still requires practice, a strategy and a player who can execute said list to victory.

That's a nice thing about the changing objectives and deployments.  A list that does awesome in one engagement can fall apart pretty quickly if it is not suited to another.  Either through lack of practice or what have you.

Looking at myself here.  My list from regionals ripped up a Latari army when it dictated the engagement.  It collapsed in spectacular fashion when it got clogged up due to poor execution in another match.  In a third, it broke, but did quite a bit of damage.  I need a lot more time with this list to really get the ramifications of what I have going on in it.

9 hours ago, Church14 said:

7 players. No byes used  

4 Uthuk

1 Daqan

1 Waiqar

1 ?? (I dont remember it)

Wicked. Thanks for posting! 

Seems the Uthuk were well represented here. In the UK, I think that would have been 4 Latari and the 1 Uthuk! :)

Small Regional today in SoCal. It was at a store that has no Runewars locals. So 4 of us Drove down to it. We knew it would be a small crowd. But we hope for atleast our monthly average lately of 6 at our Home store. There where 3 people that paid online but did not show up.

2 Uthuak 

2 Waiqar

Uthuak both won their first game 9-2

Then faced each other. 36 point Mov.

47 minutes ago, Drakoniss said:

Small Regional today in SoCal. It was at a store that has no Runewars locals. So 4 of us Drove down to it. We knew it would be a small crowd. But we hope for atleast our monthly average lately of 6 at our Home store. There where 3 people that paid online but did not show up.

2 Uthuak 

2 Waiqar

I won. Yay! Regional champ of 4 players with two wins! ? 

Below is my list.

Ravos the Everhungry (Viscera goblet, Insatiable Hunger) 50

Spined Threshers 2x1 (Scuttling Horror) 31

Spined Threshers 2x1 (Devouring Maws) 31

Spined Threshers 2x1 28

Flesh Rippers 2x2 38

Flesh Rippers 2x1 22

TOTAL: 200

5 players for the Regional in Houston.  I drove in from Austin.  We had three from the San Antonio area, and one local Houston player. 1 Uthuk, 2 Latari, 1 Daqan, 1 Waiqar.  I won, borrowing Church's Uthuk list above.  Runewars is something like a second game to me, as I also play Star Wars Armada competively, have won a regional there, and have four other top 4 finishes.  For Runewars,  I'm normally a Latari player, but back this summer when I saw I could get the Uthuk cores and Infantry command on sale, I decided to expand my collection to include Uthuk as well.  The Thresher/Ripper/Zerker individual packs dropped while I was on vacation this summer and I hadn't really had time to play around with them, and felt rusty enough anyway that I really wanted a simple list that put 2 tray Threshers on the table with Scuttling Horror.  Anyone who regularly plays elves can appreciate the advantages of shifting.  I had tried to work over some aspects of Churches list, but there really wasn't anything I wanted to adjust.  One could supposedly make the Rippers a little beefier and put a smaller Zerker set-up, but as I'd never played with a front-line Thresher, I decided to give it a whirl.

I'll do some write-ups in the Battle reports forum.  I do think in general that when you have really low numbers of players in a tournament, it is hard to make claims about the efficacy of a list.

On 7/29/2018 at 2:03 AM, Drakoniss said:

2 Uthuak 

2 Waiqar

9 - 2?? That's huge! Well done Uthuk!

What happened to the Waiqur players? What were they using?

15 hours ago, Vergilius said:

I won, borrowing Church's Uthuk list above. 

I had wondered if that was the case. 

15 hours ago, Vergilius said:

I had tried to work over some aspects of Churches list, but there really wasn't anything I wanted to adjust.  One could supposedly make the Rippers a little beefier and put a smaller Zerker set-up, but as I'd never played with a front-line Thresher, I decided to give it a whirl.

Yeah, there can be a lot to cut. Viscera Goblet is a YMMV card and could get pulled if needed. Dropping the Berserkers down frees 20. You would need 16 to upgrade the Rippers to a 4 tray. 

So a decent change would be Berserkers to a 6 tray. Upgrade Rippers to 4 tray. Drop Viscera Goblet for Cacophony Reaver for Berserkers to keep Damage up or Moment of Inspiration for the Rippers to make them a great burst damage unit

EDIT: I think you can actually equip both 

Edited by Church14

6 hours ago, Viktus106 said:

9 - 2?? That's huge! Well done Uthuk!

What happened to the Waiqur players? What were they using?

I was one of the Waiqar players. I brought three 6-tray units: Carrion Lancers, Reanimate Archers, and Reanimates. Reanimates had Dispatch Runner to let the worms swing at 4, which was clutch. If it weren't Demoralize Their Forces, he would have had 60 fewer points, for only a 7-4 win. But objectives are important, and I couldn't leverage my lone lancer to get flank charges. Hence, 9-2 butt whooping. Hey, at least it wasn't 10-1.

Interestingly, the other Waiqar player also brought the 6-tray Reanimates with Dispatch Runner, but he was dispatching  4-tray Death Knights and two 2-tray Carrion Lancers. He also had two 2-tray Reanimate Archers.

I'll get the full lists and round by round points break down in a battle report soon.

Edited by Parakitor

20 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I was one of the Waiqar players. I brought three 6-tray units: Carrion Lancers, Reanimate Archers, and Reanimates. Reanimates had Dispatch Runner to let the worms swing at 4, which was clutch. If it weren't Demoralize Their Forces, he would have had 60 fewer points, for only a 7-4 win. But objectives are important, and I couldn't leverage my lone lancer to get flank charges. Hence, 9-2 butt whooping. Hey, at least it wasn't 10-1.

Interestingly, the other Waiqar player also brought the 6-tray Reanimates with Dispatch Runner, but he was dispatching  4-tray Death Knights and two 2-tray Carrion Lancers. He also had two 2-tray Reanimate Archers.

I'll get the full lists and round by round points break down in a battle report soon.

Now it makes more sense ! Those objectives points really jumped the margin and made all the difference there I reckon. Sounds like it was actually a close match but the objectives skewered the final result. 

Eye on the prize, not just their throat. :)

Indianapolis regionals at Family Time games wrapped up last night. 

4 players: 3 Latari, 1 Waiqar

Jukey and I went down. I brought my Waiqar.

Final scores were 22, 17, 17, 15. I took first with Waiqar.

Jukey is gonna be writing up a full report, pictures and details. Though it’ll be a few days delay

My Waiqar list:

200/200
Death Knights [55] 2x3
Shield of Margath [6]
Dispatch Runner [7]
Deathmist Banners [4]
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 76

Death Knights [55] 2x3
Obcasiums Gauntlet [5]
Dispatch Runner [7]
Deathmist Banners [4]
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 75

Wraiths [17] 2x1
Faces of the Fallen [2]
Total Unit Cost: 19

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 15

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1

49 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Indianapolis regionals at Family Time games wrapped up last night. 

4 players: 3 Latari, 1 Waiqar

Jukey and I went down. I brought my Waiqar.

Final scores were 22, 17, 17, 15. I took first with Waiqar.

Jukey is gonna be writing up a full report, pictures and details. Though it’ll be a few days delay

My Waiqar list:

200/200
Death Knights [55] 2x3
Shield of Margath [6]
Dispatch Runner [7]
Deathmist Banners [4]
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 76

Death Knights [55] 2x3
Obcasiums Gauntlet [5]
Dispatch Runner [7]
Deathmist Banners [4]
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 75

Wraiths [17] 2x1
Faces of the Fallen [2]
Total Unit Cost: 19

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1

Congratulations!

Very interesting list I must say. I've also found Death Knights to be excellent at elf-hunting :) Though I've never run more than 2 2x2's (one with reaping and one with obcasium). That late  move+reform followed up with the initiative 3 speed 2 charge can catch a lot of stuff and the dial in Mortal strike is quite nice against Aliana and Scions! I can see that list working against Daqan as well as you can plow through most armour and be narrow enough to catch "hiding" crossbows and Kari.

Edit: 

And "unfortunately", cutting the heroes is more or less a must as they are combo-oriented, and can't do anything with a 2x3 DK's, not even be used as champions :( Lord Werebat perhaps could be squeezed in later though?

Edited by Maktorius

42 minutes ago, Maktorius said:

Congratulations!

Very interesting list I must say. I've also found Death Knights to be excellent at elf-hunting :) Though I've never run more than 2 2x2's (one with reaping and one with obcasium). That late  move+reform followed up with the initiative 3 speed 2 charge can catch a lot of stuff and the dial in Mortal strike is quite nice against Aliana and Scions! I can see that list working against Daqan as well as you can plow through most armour and be narrow enough to catch "hiding" crossbows and Kari.

Edit: 

And "unfortunately", cutting the heroes is more or less a must as they are combo-oriented, and can't do anything with a 2x3 DK's, not even be used as champions :( Lord Werebat perhaps could be squeezed in later though?

Heroes have a place with death knights. Ardus allows them to be cheap, hard hitting Dispatch Runner platforms. The original list was a Reanimate Star with 2X 2 tray Death Knight Dispatch runners. With sufficient trays, you could do this list with 1 Death Star and 2X 2 tray Dispatch knights with Ardus. 

28 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Heroes have a place with death knights. Ardus allows them to be cheap, hard hitting Dispatch Runner platforms. The original list was a Reanimate Star with 2X 2 tray Death Knight Dispatch runners. With sufficient trays, you could do this list with 1 Death Star and 2X 2 tray Dispatch knights with Ardus. 

I just don't see that working competetively. I've had 2x1 DK's being one-shot:ed several times (by Leonx for example), and that would be quite a loss at 31+ point builds. Also, I'm very hesitant on the Deathstars. Too much can go wrong in my experience (getting danced around, stuck by terrain, too small targets, fetching objectives etc.). But I'm always up for being proven wrong :)

Edit: Regarding the deathstar; Remember that you are playing Waiqar now, reanimates have the same cost as berserkers, but slower, no hit on dial and no wind rune.

Edited by Maktorius

I took second at the Indy Regional yesterday Church posted about.

The list I brought was:

197/200
Aliana of Summersong [33] 1x1
Malcornes Bequest [6]
Ambush Predator [3]
Total Unit Cost: 42

Leonx Riders [24] 1x3
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 28

Darnati Warriors [43] 3x2
Avenger of Latariana [5]
Shield Wall [5]
Warsong Herald [3]
Marching Starling [2]
Lay of the Land [4]
Total Unit Cost: 62

Deepwood Archers [17] 2x1
Fire Rune [7]
Total Unit Cost: 24

Deepwood Archers [17] 2x1
Fire Rune [7]
Total Unit Cost: 24

Aymhelin Scions [14] 1x1
Vicious Roots [3]
Total Unit Cost: 17

I played Church in round 2 with Confluence of Magic, where his all defense 3, all the time really abused me after he turned off my Fire Runes with his Wraiths turn 1. I let him scare me into redeploying the Leonx so they wouldn't get rolled by the Death Knights, which maybe wasn't the right move given how long it took to corner the Wraiths with Aliana -- I wasn't able to even pick up their objective tokens until turn 5, which meant the Darnati and Leonx were the only units I had that could do more than one wound an attack to the rest of his army at defense 3. That meant I didn't get a tray off the Knights before they charged my Darnati, so I couldn't blunt the damage with Shield Wall. Deathmist and the Shield of Margath did a lot of work, too. I'm glad I got the chance to play Church after not facing him at GenCon, it was fun to play him even if I had to claw out a 3-8 loss.

The third round, I played Jukey in an elf-on-elf cage match for the ages. It was really a lot of fun, and I think it forced us both to think about some things in some really different ways from the Latari's normal playstyle. (marching with Deepwood Archers? What is this madness!) We both had fun taking the Darnati out for a spin (though I got to learn first-hand about the shortcomings of relying on inspiration instead of mid-turn Rallying Starlings to refresh Shield Wall -- it blunted the initial charge from his Aliana-Leonx (hrm.. Ali-Cats?) unit well, but then they got off a Dispatch Runner activation and just abused the rest of the unit. I might have to think about working a Rallying Starling into one of its support Archers or bumping up to the 9-tray somehow if I want to play them as a defensive pinning tarpit, depending on the meta. The rest of my army was able to collapse on his vulnerable flanks well, though, and it came down to me coming up one damage short on Aliana's turn 8 charge on Maegan's flank for the tabling, leaving us with a nail-biting 6-5 finish.

That's a really good Waiqar list.  I like it.

And just to reinforce a point I've made in the last week about the damage-given/damage-taken potential of a list.  This list is basically at the same damage potential and wounds threshold of the Uthuk list.

I think Confluence of Magic is one of the tougher objectives right now, particularly if you rely on specific runes, which Elves can when they run Scions or Fire Runes.  I think all of the games I've lost or the games I've played more closely have tended to come on that objective.  Kaffis' vague description of Jukey's list makes it sound a lot like one of the lists I've been running recently: pretty big formation of cats with Aliana embedded, Dispatch Runner Darnati.  

Jukey will probably chime in if I get something wrong, or write his up with the battle report he wanted to write.

But I think it was Martial Maegan with a Reaping Blade, Aliana in a 4-tray of cats with Raven Tabards, Moment, and Metered March; a 4-tray Archers with Dispatch Runner, Tempered, Rallying Starling, and Simultaneous Orders; a 2-tray Archers with Tempered, a solo Scion with Vicious Roots, and 2-trays of Darnati with a Verdant Sorceress.

@Church14

By the way, I assume you used the Dispatch runners to trigger the other DK unit. I thought that DK's would not be that efficient with Dispatch runner as they don't have an efficient way to either ready it or to get rid of the stun token (that "blocks" the mortal strike dial in). Latari and Daqan has seemed to be the more natural user of it. Would you mind sharing your way of handling that issue?

1 hour ago, Maktorius said:

@Church14

By the way, I assume you used the Dispatch runners to trigger the other DK unit. I thought that DK's would not be that efficient with Dispatch runner as they don't have an efficient way to either ready it or to get rid of the stun token (that "blocks" the mortal strike dial in). Latari and Daqan has seemed to be the more natural user of it. Would you mind sharing your way of handling that issue?

Round 1 Rally unless facing Ravos. Waiqar don’t worry about being quick on turn 1  

With inspiration, you can sequence:

DK1 attack and Dispatch. DK2 attacks and gets stun

DK2 clears stun with inspiration, reveals attack and skill. 

It isnt sustainable, but it doesn’t need to be. I paid 14 points (a Lancer) to trigger two additional attacks on threat 3 cav units. That extra 18-ish damage was more than a Lancer would manage. 

Worst case, against a Ravos or Vorun’Thul, you still can trigger it once and get probably 9 damage out of those 14 points. 

The King of the North Regional was today in Stirling, Scotland. My first gaming tournament of any sort. 8 players and lots of fun. 

No UthuK, 3 Waiqar, 2 Daqan (or Dacan’t), 3 Latari 

I ran Daqan. 3x1 HC (Tempered, Rank and Rallying), Kari (Fortuna’s), 3x2 Oathsworn (Wind Rune, Column, Raven), Rune Golem and 3x2 Spears (LC and Metered)

Grant ran Uthuk to first place pipping Justin (Latari) by one point who, in turn, pipped myself (Daqan) by the same margin. I never saw Grant’s list unfortunately. 

I played Matthew (two big blocks of 3x2 Reanimates with Deathcaller, Simultaneous Orders and Support Lancer, two 2x1 RA with CI, Ardus with Ancient Tech and a CL) losing 7-4 in game 1. 

I made a hash of much of this game (not taking anything from Matthew) and only my final HC volley (12 damage thanks to surge, double damage, dialled surge and Tempered) saved it from being a 8-3. I need to get Kari into melee more quickly to use her splash damage but I was worried about the Deathcaller/ Lancer blight combo. I forgot I could snipe the Deathcaller with Kari early if I could get her in range. 

Second game I played my nephew Anthony (Waiqar with Maro & Heatseeker and Violent Forces, 2x1 DK with Gauntlet,  3x2 RA with CI, 3x2 Reanimates with Blighted Vellixum and Executioner and 2x1 Wraiths ). Pretty much everything went wrong for him in a 9-2 loss. He did pull the funniest move of the game reforming his RA at I3 (I think) and watching my Spears charge straight past at I4! I was about 1cm away from them at an angle and could have hit them with a curling charge but stupidly just dialled in the straight charge and sailed past ?

Last game I played Justin (Latari with two 1x3 Cats with CT, two 2x1 Deepwood with Hunters Guile, 2x2 Darnati with Verdant, two Scions and Alaina with Ambush Predator and Reaping Blade) and this was a really, really great game. My spears made up for their embarrassing miss the game before by catching his Cats with a I8 turning charge (Lance Corp). My Oathsworn caught his first Scion in the flank but were caught themselves by Aliana and the Darnatari. Kari caught the other Scion and splashed half of one of his Deepwood archers. The second cats caught my HC who still accounted for half his unit in melee. My left flank has collapsed but his flank on my right was getting taken to the cleaners by Kari and Spears. 

Eventually Kari caught the second unit of Deepwoods and splash killed Aliana while the Spears finished off his Darnati and cats. MVP the previously red faced spears (and Kari’s splash damage) for very closely fought 7-4. 

Great tournament played in super spirit by everyone. Additionally plenty of swag!

Shout out to my friend Barry who played his second game ever with a list he saw this morning (my Latari army) and still won his first game before fighting hard in the last two.