player3010587

Should the Republic Gunship enter the game if prequel factions are introduced?

I love the design of it and I can imagine some amazing design space incorporated with it, but it would be pushing the boundaries of something that can technically enter space but is designed for strictly atmospheric missions. Hence, at what point do we just throw in some snowspeeders or skyhoppers and say that they were properly retrofitted with sci-fi conveniences to exit the atmosphere? Or does that open the door for a fascinating sidegame where atmospheric-only ships are allowed with spacecraft because the dogfight is taken to a planet's surface?

I really dislike the idea of including things like snowspeeders and cloud cars...

The LAAT however was sometimes used in space... I guess it could fly as much as the Striker could... Obviously not as maneuverable. 

It could be something like

2/1/6/3

Focus

Lock

Reload (red)

Reinforce (red)

Cannon, missile, turret, gunner, gunner, crew

No ship ability

Red stop

1: blue banks, blue straight

2: white turns, blue banks, blue straight

3: red turns, red banks, white straight

It gets double gunners... We because it's a gunship,filled with guns to the brim. 

I don't think the LAAT should have a turret. While the atmospheric version did have the bubble turrets, the space version did not. Both versions also had a rear-facing turret but it could not rotate to shoot to the LAAT's flanks.

Instead of the bubble turrets, the space version had flood lights. I have no idea how these can be shown in XWTMG2. Maybe an easy way to focus in some scenarios or maybe they can distract people with the lights somehow. Then again, they could just say screw it and put the bubble turrets on again. I kind of like the idea of the bubble turrets being represented by a bonus attack in a ship ability.

I think a rear arc makes the most sense for the space LAAT.

I don't think cannon fits very well. I don't believe there's been any sources of that much customization of the weaponry on these.

Missiles are definite.

I'm less sure of giving it two gunners but that might work fine. Definitely should get at least one crew but two crew and one gunner makes plenty of sense as well.

Actions seem fine.

Edited by Ixidor

13 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I don't know if it makes sense to exist, but if it does, it should have like only-side arcs, or 1 permanent side arc + front or something.

That'd be weird and cool.

A double mobile arc with no native rotate action would be a somewhat eclectic but possible within the 2.0 rules implementation of that IMO.

15 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I don't know if it makes sense to exist, but if it does, it should have like only-side arcs, or 1 permanent side arc + front or something.

This doesn't fit the fiction that well. The ship had a rear-facing gun as well as forward facing ones. The door guns might not be too usable in space so the side arcs seem weird too. If the bubble turrets are included, they'd more likely open up the front arc to a 180 arc.

I like the concept.... And I really like the ship.

But basically, it's a troop transport with TONs of ground suppression weapons. Not exactly a space dogfighter. 

Neither would it make a good Republic version of the in-game lambda or reaper...or even the HWK. 

It's guns COULD fire in space, but I feel like it would never intentionally participate in space combat. 

Of course, if you watch Clone Wars (old cartoon or new cartoon), I'm pretty sure they used some gunships AND even walkers in some desperate space operations. 

Generally, though, I'm not really feeling it on the table for Xwing.

?

Wish I could. 

oh well...at least we've got ARCs. 

39 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

This doesn't fit the fiction that well. The ship had a rear-facing gun as well as forward facing ones. The door guns might not be too usable in space so the side arcs seem weird too. If the bubble turrets are included, they'd more likely open up the front arc to a 180 arc.

Okay, that makes sense, but less cool (either forward + mobile, or bi-arc PWT).

8 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

I like the concept.... And I really like the ship.

But basically, it's a troop transport with TONs of ground suppression weapons. Not exactly a space dogfighter. 

Neither would it make a good Republic version of the in-game lambda or reaper...or even the HWK. 

It's guns COULD fire in space, but I feel like it would never intentionally participate in space combat. 

Of course, if you watch Clone Wars (old cartoon or new cartoon), I'm pretty sure they used some gunships AND even walkers in some desperate space operations. 

I mean, youi highlighted it - desperate situations. The Lambda was meant as a personnel transport - they're not really bringing it as a command center or anything.

That said... I still sort of agree with you. It's a pretty square peg in a round hole :( 

1 hour ago, Ixidor said:

It occurs to me that it would be really interesting to get a ship with only the bullseye front arc (i.e., no 80 degree forward arc), plus side arcs. Probably terrible, but interesting. 

This ship was incidentally the best part of the prequels, so if they propose bubble turrets in space, I’ll throw money at them until they give me the model. 

20 minutes ago, SOTL said:

Prequel factions won't be announced.  They won't announce prequel factions.  Factions from the prequels won't be announce.  They won't faction prequels from the announcement.  From the prequel announcement won't faction they.

Well, so much for all that focus on force-powers when there are very few force-sensitive characters, the big deal with calculate when there are even fewer droid characters, and the need to make this a game beyond 3 basic factions: especially when 2 of the new factions are simply re-skins of their 2 predecessors because new aesthetics are few and far between. And if they do have prequel ships, we don't need to be salty because unlike the films, the ships won't suck.

36 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Well, so much for all that focus on force-powers when there are very few force-sensitive characters, the big deal with calculate when there are even fewer droid characters, and the need to make this a game beyond 3 basic factions: especially when 2 of the new factions are simply re-skins of their 2 predecessors because new aesthetics are few and far between. And if they do have prequel ships, we don't need to be salty because unlike the films, the ships won't suck.

For those reasons and so many more - I think the inclusion of Clone Wars factions in the game is pretty inevitable.

1. Yes, yes they should.

2. It has to have the bubble guns, they’re it’s defining feature.  Rule of Cool > Logic.

3. Can’t be like a 1.0 PWT though.  How would you avoid that if it has separate guns for every arc?  Mobile arc wouldn’t make much sense fluffwise, but might be necessary gameplaywise.

14 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

1. Yes, yes they should.

2. It has to have the bubble guns, they’re it’s defining feature.  Rule of Cool > Logic.

3. Can’t be like a 1.0 PWT though.  How would you avoid that if it has separate guns for every arc?  Mobile arc wouldn’t make much sense fluffwise, but might be necessary gameplaywise.

1. agreed.  Hopefully for more than just the republic but that seems dubious.

2. maybe... rule of cool > logic, but logic must be used when applying the rule of cool.  It could go either way.

3. good point.  perhaps it could have 2 separate 1-arc turrets and primary weapon (auxiliary too?), which by themselves are all very weak, but give benefits when your guns line up?  that way you could have a 360-esque turret, but perhaps only slightly more powerful than 1 die, and when you have the guns lined up, you can get more powerful attacks.

4 minutes ago, Infinite_Maelstrom said:

1. agreed.  Hopefully for more than just the republic but that seems dubious.

2. maybe... rule of cool > logic, but logic must be used when applying the rule of cool.  It could go either way.

3. good point.  perhaps it could have 2 separate 1-arc turrets and primary weapon (auxiliary too?), which by themselves are all very weak, but give benefits when your guns line up?  that way you could have a 360-esque turret, but perhaps only slightly more powerful than 1 die, and when you have the guns lined up, you can get more powerful attacks.

But they can’t really move and line up can they, logically I mean?  They’re in fixed positions on the ship.

Perhaps give it four permanent arcs, but you can’t fire from the same one on two consecutive turns?  They could include tokens to track this.

8 hours ago, player3010587 said:

I love the design of it and I can imagine some amazing design space incorporated with it, but it would be pushing the boundaries of something that can technically enter space but is designed for strictly atmospheric missions. Hence, at what point do we just throw in some snowspeeders or skyhoppers and say that they were properly retrofitted with sci-fi conveniences to exit the atmosphere? Or does that open the door for a fascinating sidegame where atmospheric-only ships are allowed with spacecraft because the dogfight is taken to a planet's surface?

The LAAT could still be introduced now for Rebels. The Rebels use it in Battlefront 2 and in Star Wars: Commander.

11 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

I don't know if it would really fit with the LAAT as depicted, but I would definitely be interested to see a ship that had only side-facing arcs (apart from ordnance, if any).  It could be rather interesting to fly a ship that can fire broadsides but can't hit enemies directly in front of it.

17 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

It could be something like

2/1/6/3

Focus

Lock

Reload (red)

Reinforce (red)

Cannon, missile, turret, gunner, gunner, crew

All well and good but i am pretty sure that the LAAT had no shields installed. At least no version i have read about.

It did however take a ton of fire on Geonosis from one of their fighters in the movie before going down. So must have had **** of a strong armored hull.

Edited by ForceM

Bubble turrets are... problematic. Even the TCW variant with no side turrets has two turrets in the wings, the rarer but more iconic full service LAAT/i has four turrets. In addition to the front and rear guns.

Hard to imagine how it could be anything else than a 360 PWT with all those guns pointed in all directions at once.

But as this is something we'd rather avoid, I think I'd be better to go with the wing turrets-only variant and pretend we don't see said wing turrets... I don't recall ever seeing them fire in TCW, so it's not that lore-unfriendly. 

I'd go with this:

red: 2(front)|2(rear)
green: 1
hull: 7 or 8
shields: 1 (I assumed it's unshielded but legends wookiee says otherwise)

slots: missile, missile, gunner, crew, crew

actions: focus, lock, reload, reinforce (red)

Edited by eMeM