Wiredin

RZ-2 A-Wing speculation 2.0

latest?cb=20171010224756

The Rebel A-wing is largely unchanged aside from some sloop actions. What can we expect from the new resistance A-Wing base chassis? 

Quick notes:

• The RZ2 is smaller and faster than the model used by the Rebel Alliance
  • improved swiveling laser cannons and targeting computer to allow firing aft (before they would jam on the RZ1)
  • advanced piloting computer allowing for more daring maneuvers will less stress on the frame and pilot. 
  • jamming equipment for recon flights

My changes:

• 1 extra shield
  • 2 die attack rear arc / targets in rear arc get an extra agility
  • focus to red jam action
  • vectored thrusters remains
  • free evade action on blue manouvers
  • add 2 speed Talon rolls to original A-Wing dial (will they fit?)

I'm not convinced on this rear firing thing.  How's the pilot meant to keep an eye on what's behind him closely enough to shoot it whilst also piloting (whilst travelling forwards, and therefore needing to look forwards)?  If the computer can do it, why don't all ships have rear facing guns, and why aren't all gun computer controlled?  Do we ever see them rear-firing onscreen?

Just now, mazz0 said:

I'm not convinced on this rear firing thing.  How's the pilot meant to keep an eye on what's behind him closely enough to shoot it whilst also piloting (whilst travelling forwards, and therefore needing to look forwards)?  If the computer can do it, why don't all ships have rear facing guns, and why aren't all gun computer controlled?  Do we ever see them rear-firing onscreen?

your 100% correct, I don't disagree with you at all. especially since the canon states that A-wings are notoriously hard to control. The RZ2 is supposed to be easier to control due to improved on board computers/avionics. But that being said, all the cross section books have states that the the A-wings can fire rearwards. Never seen on screen to my knowledge. but neither were bombs on the Tie Strikers ;)

In the X-wing books they explain how the astromechs help move the stick a bit to aid in evasive maneuvers and also aid in targeting. they are not "auto aim bots" like in FPS games that we know, but they do assist in one way or another.

I think the Jam ability will come in a Tech upgrade if at all.

I like your idea for the rear arc, giving the defender more agility since it really should be difficult to shoot backwards. In an a-wing this should not be the pilots focus but if they are being tailed they might get some minimal damage on their tails.

I kind of like the free Evade being on faster maneuvers, similar to how the Defender works. It makes more sense to me that a fast-moving ship is harder to hit. Maybe the evade could be on banks and/or turns instead, to keep it from being too similar to the Defender. I'm a little iffy on that. This and vectored thrusters might be too much together on one ship.  On that point, though, maybe they have advanced vectored thrusters, which still gives you the linked boost but also lets you get an evade when boosting (regardless of whether you linked it).

5 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

I think the Jam ability will come in a Tech upgrade if at all.

I like your idea for the rear arc, giving the defender more agility since it really should be difficult to shoot backwards. In an a-wing this should not be the pilots focus but if they are being tailed they might get some minimal damage on their tails.

I kind of like the free Evade being on faster maneuvers, similar to how the Defender works. It makes more sense to me that a fast-moving ship is harder to hit. Maybe the evade could be on banks and/or turns instead, to keep it from being too similar to the Defender. I'm a little iffy on that. This and vectored thrusters might be too much together on one ship.  On that point, though, maybe they have advanced vectored thrusters, which still gives you the linked boost but also lets you get an evade when boosting (regardless of whether you linked it).

free evade on turns would be pretty awesome. They should be hard to hit based on the lore. Since they are only a 2 die attack I'd be okay with them having both a free evade and vectored thrusters. it will be weaker than the defender due to the primary 2 die attack. bullseye increase attack by 1?

1 minute ago, Tekore said:

Out of curiosity: would a rear bullseye arc be doable?  

would have to take another look at the token chits... but that would be ideal for the rear attack.

49 minutes ago, Tekore said:

Out of curiosity: would a rear bullseye arc be doable?  

Doable, sure.  Simply print the bulleye dashed lines on a ship with a rear arc.  Don't know why that couldn't be printed...  Bullseye Mobile Arc? NOW youre talking! :)

I think it's more likely they'll get a config card.

Gimballed Cannons, rear:

You may not perform primary weapon attacks.

ATTACK (Target Lock): Spend your target lock to perform this attack (2 dice, rear arc).

After you fully execute a maneuver, you may flip this card

Gimballed Cannons, front:

Just now, ClassicalMoser said:

Gimballed Cannons, rear:

ATTACK (Target Lock): Spend your target lock to perform this attack (2 dice, rear arc).

thats interesting. 

2 Die Rear Bullseye is interesting, as is evade action on a bank.

Rather than vectored thrusters why not red boost after Focus, Target Lock, Barrel Roll and a white Boost.

The ship ability could be after fully executing a Boost assign an evade.

4 hours ago, mazz0 said:

They can't have computers do it for all ships because the tech is prohibitively expensive/only manufactured by one source/not compatable with other chassis/other hand-wavy explanations.

I mean, why don't they just build hyperdrives into all missile weapons to use as unstoppable dreadnaught killers? Why did Leia tell Han that their escape was too easy, that the Empire let them go and was tracking them, and  still headed straight to their secret base?

Sometimes you have to let logic go and chalk things up to the Rule of Cool.

4 hours ago, mazz0 said:

I'd agree but, well...

...Firespray.

Actions

Focus -> (red) Boost

Target Lock -> (red) Boost

Boost

Coordinate -> (red) Boost

Jam -> (red) Boost

Ability

Spotter:  A friendly ship at range 0 to 3 may measure range for abilities from your base instead.

Goal is to make the A-Wing into a scout like ship.  Think rogues in D&D, either providing information (coordinate/lock) to teammates or interference (jam) to enemies.

Tech slot. 

+1 Shield.

Built-in B.roll.

Jam would be awesome and different. I'd take that on the RZ2 instead of prockets. 

....but it looks like ordinance is a thing on these guys, anyway (see pic).

Almost certainly going to have a flippable arc based on the official material on the ship.

91ksnoOwa4L-600x600.jpg

9 hours ago, mazz0 said:

Interesting that they say it’s slimmer but longer than the Rebel A-Wing.  Surely we have to get a new, smaller Rebel A-Wing sculpt now?

9.6m is canon as per... every canon source, including the Databank which they can change as they please at any moment.

It's just yet another display of the Story Group and Pablo Hidalgo doing a fantastic job keeping the integrity of the Single Canon intact.

7 hours ago, Ironlord said:

"Longer" in this case may be "proportionately longer" given Rebels's A-Wings and 2-seat A-wing trainers using the bigger size.

This actually made more sense in legends. Before the RZ-1, there was a ship called the R-22 Spearhead, nicknamed "A-Wing" by the rebel alliance. This ship came as a one seater or a two seater. But the slightly smaller RZ-1, based on that design, was only a one seater. and the RZ-1 is not 9.6 meters, no matter what they say.  Compare it to the Y-wing right next to it in RotJ, the cockpits are about the same size, when the FFG A-wing models have cockpits much larger than the Y-wing's.

Image result for Home 1 hanger return of the jedi

Edited by GLEXOR

22 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Gimballed Cannons, rear:

I dig that.  A lot.

I also feel they will be harder to hit.  They have jamming systems but that's for hit avoidance, not for comms jamming.  Maybe they'll gain both Vectored Thrusters AND Full Throttle.  It's make sense and uses existing "Ship Abilities".

15 hours ago, GLEXOR said:

This actually made more sense in legends. Before the RZ-1, there was a ship called the R-22 Spearhead, nicknamed "A-Wing" by the rebel alliance. This ship came as a one seater or a two seater.

In the newcanon, the RZ-1 is the R-22, which has been modified - having the armour and some of the shielding removed, to help make it faster.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:00 AM, Bad Idea Comics said:

I dig that.  A lot.

I also feel they will be harder to hit.  They have jamming systems but that's for hit avoidance, not for comms jamming.  Maybe they'll gain both Vectored Thrusters AND Full Throttle.  It's make sense and uses existing "Ship Abilities".

Hmmm. Just to keep on the idea of it using the Jam mechanic. Maybe a tech upgrade that's something like, "After you activate, give a ship at range 0-1 a Jam token if you are in its firing arc."