IndianaWalsh

Superpowers

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2019 at 1:13 AM, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

Will there be any more powers added to the document? 

I didn't create the original (all praise to IndianaWalsh!), but I have created a Weather Control power following his formatting and guidelines.

I'll upload the word doc and hope it displays properly (oops, forgot about symbols.  Hopefully they're clear enough to read, but I'll see about editing and uploading a symbol free version that will say Average check instead of dd).

Weather Control Power.docx

Weather Control Power.docx

Edited by FinarinPanjoro
symbols

Posted (edited)

Another house rule that I'm trying out is related to vehicle versus superhero fights.  In the comics and movies superheroes can tear through most vehicles easily (I'm looking at you Captain Marvel- or Captain America versus the Shield Hover-Plane in Winter Soldier).

My answer to this is to design vehicles in the setting with relatively low numbers of armor points (especially if you compare it to something like Star Wars vehicles) because you're not trying to balance the vehicles against each other as much as you are balancing them against personal scale superheroes with energy powers, super strength, and the like.

So here's what I've come up with- vehicle vs hero combat relies much more heavily on critical hits against the vehicles to take them out rather than Hull Trauma.  They're also a lot easier to achieve.  If a hero aims (taking two setbacks) they may crit a vehicle without doing any damage (they don't have to exceed the armor value of the vehicle).  Vehicle Defense is applied normally to the attack.  Vehicle armor is applied as a -5 on the critical hit result per point of Armor.  Any superhero attack with Pierce 5+ or Breach can crit without using the aim maneuver.  Also Vicious applies to vehicle hits as well and Sunder can add +10 per activation to the crit roll.

Note that for minion vehicles that makes Armor irrelevant (with regards to crits anyway) which is intentional.  It also means you most likely won't have to track Hull Trauma at all.  Additionally unlike in personal combat an appropriate power can crit against minion groups multiple times.  So if you have crit 2 on your power and roll 4 advantages you will take out 2 minions if you spend all 4 on crits.

So this means that a Hulk style character can attack a minion group of Humvees with his Breach level strength and with a couple of Triumph or enough advantage can grab one vehicle and throw it into another and take them both out. 

Most vehicle weapons are getting redesigned as high level personal weapons with the idea that narratively the don't ever land a direct hit against a super-hero.  Even a direct hit with a crit would still be described as a graze or diminished by their powers (invulnerability, super-speed, magic barriers, etc).  But uses damage on the heavy personal side (so I've been having vehicles use weapons from Shadow of the Beanstalk).  So something like a TIE Fighter would have two laser cannons as its weapons (doing 10 base damage) instead of its vehicle lasers which do 60 base damage.

Thoughts?

Edited by FinarinPanjoro

I just finished up a year-long campaign running this. It was fantastic! There is such a strong sense of progression and customization on the skill trees; my players were extremely invested in their power sets by the finale. I'm going to give just a little bit of criticism (if a part doesn't get criticized here, that's because it was amazing!)

1. The powers need a lot of balance consideration, for those that care about that sort of thing. At my table, it's not an issue if someone's more powerful than another player, but I know it is for many groups. In particular, mind control and speed are extremely weak relative to the other powers.

2. Some of the individual upgrades on trees were unexciting numerical bumps.

Other than those little things, this is all around an incredible supplement and absolutely the way to run a superhero campaign in Genesys.

Wow! I'm amazed that your group is finding Speed to be one of the weaker powers.  The speedster in the group which I GM is devastating in combat.  It's the combination of Pierce and Linked while being considered engaged with everyone at short range that does it.  He possesses most of the tree and has taken a number of beneficial talents to back it up so he's really good at it.

Mind Control I agree with though.  Here's the variant that I use for NPCs (none of my PCs have taken it as a power).  I don't like taking control away from my players so "she" doesn't spend their actions.  On her turn she can force them to act, but on their turn they momentarily throw off her direct control and may act (though at a penalty if still under her control).  If still in control she can manipulate them again on her next turn.

Mind Control: 1 strain to Discipline vs. Discipline check to mind control Engaged target.  Spend up to 3 strain to increase range up to 3 times.  Spend 3 strain to increase targets by 3 (a minion group counts as one target).  Spend 2 strain to replace any social check with a Discipline check.  Concentration to maintain control on all controlled targets.

Controlling PCs- controlled PCs act normally on their turn (but use her Discipline as their difficulty to attack her or her allies). On her turn she may spend her action to force them to take an action and a maneuver (in addition to their own action).  She manipulates them using her hands like puppet controls, but it is difficult to maintain.  She must spend 1 strain each round that she forces a PC to take an action.

If a PC takes an action to try to snap someone out of her control they may make an appropriate Social Check against her Discipline.  If successful she loses control and upgrades the difficulty to regain control once.

Has anyone attempted to use these rules to run something like the Boys or the Reckoners?

I really want to run a Reckoners style campaign of ordinary getting revenge on Superheroes gone bad.

Do you think these powers and Adversaries etc would be too much for normal people to face with the likes of Guns. I mean I still want the enemies to be nigh invincible, as the game would focus on investigating and discovering weaknesses.

4 hours ago, Spartancfos said:

I mean I still want the enemies to be nigh invincible, as the game would focus on investigating and discovering weaknesses.

If you want that then use the No Mere Mortal rules in Genesys Core and treat it as if the PC's are affected in reverse (so an NPC Nemesis would only take at most, 1 wound or 1 strain from a PC's attack but would deal their usual damage to the PC's). Then just bring in your concept of weaknesses and let those weaknesses bypass the No Mere Mortal rules so that the NPC is as vulnerable to a PC's attack as a PC would be to theirs.

Basically, make the NPC's Superman (from the animated series). He could get hit, knocked out and occasionally injured, but it was like chipping away at him slowly. However, you bring out some kryptonite and the dude can get his butt handed to him.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:09 AM, Spartancfos said:

Has anyone attempted to use these rules to run something like the Boys or the Reckoners?

I really want to run a Reckoners style campaign of ordinary getting revenge on Superheroes gone bad.

Do you think these powers and Adversaries etc would be too much for normal people to face with the likes of Guns. I mean I still want the enemies to be nigh invincible, as the game would focus on investigating and discovering weaknesses.

I think this system would work really well for something like that.  In my last session the toughest supervillain they fought was the one with no powers but with tremendous crossbow marksman skills.  All she had were high ranks and several talents (extended range, adding linked) and she was dropping more of the PCs than any of the super powered bad guys.  So a PC with solid skills and talents could go against a super-powered nemesis with a good chance of success.  I think GroggyGolem's comment is a good suggestion.  It actually might be too easy without using his reversal of the No Mere Mortal rules.

16 hours ago, FinarinPanjoro said:

I think this system would work really well for something like that.  In my last session the toughest supervillain they fought was the one with no powers but with tremendous crossbow marksman skills.  All she had were high ranks and several talents (extended range, adding linked) and she was dropping more of the PCs than any of the super powered bad guys.  So a PC with solid skills and talents could go against a super-powered nemesis with a good chance of success.  I think GroggyGolem's comment is a good suggestion.  It actually might be too easy without using his reversal of the No Mere Mortal rules.

That sounds promising. The variation allows me to run different Tiers of Supers as well, so not everyone is "No Mere Mortal" but the very best are. My original plan was to run my own variant of Phoenix Dawn Command, but that would mean making an entire Card Based RPG first.