Sign in to follow this  
heychadwick

Will the App be working for GenCon?

I know the stated hope would be that the app would be ready... particularly since product is going to be getting out into the market... product that's quite limited on release if the app isn't ready.

I would expect the app... though it may not be as robust on release as it will be down the round (post-updates...)

All the statements I've seen so far have said the app is due to release on the 13th of September, so won't be available at GenCon. Do we even know if the Conversion Kits will be available to buy at GC? If they're not, I could see the justification for not releasing the app since Threat cards will cover all the available models in the Core sets.

3 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I thought it was confirmed that conversion kits would be for sale at GenCon.  If not, I don't think I'll bother waiting in line at GenCon.

Just to be clear, I don't know one way or another, but without definite confirmation from FFG I worry that maybe the community is jumping to baseless conclusions here (not for the first time with the new edition!) If the Conversion Kits are on sale I would think the app would have to be available in some form as we know the CKs don't have the Quick Build cards in them and without either the app or cards the content of the kits is pretty much useless.

I could've sworn they started somewhere that conversion kits would be at GenCon.  Can't recall, but there was so much...

I do agree that they will probably have the app in some sort of working order at GenCon.  That's all the developers, though.  You can't really make it work if its buggy.  I'm sure there will be issues with it when it first comes out.  I'm sure the internet is going to take it as a sign that all of 2.0 is a flop.  :D

1 minute ago, heychadwick said:

I could've sworn they started somewhere that conversion kits would be at GenCon.  Can't recall, but there was so much...

I do agree that they will probably have the app in some sort of working order at GenCon.  That's all the developers, though.  You can't really make it work if its buggy.  I'm sure there will be issues with it when it first comes out.  I'm sure the internet is going to take it as a sign that all of 2.0 is a flop.  :D

Conversion kits are supposed to be available from what I understand.  The app, not so much, unfortunately.  Or, at least they haven't had any announcements that indicate that (and in fact the opposite is true since they are saying it is the same day as release).   I mean, if it releases at Gencon, it releases and that's that.

6 minutes ago, AlexW said:

Conversion kits are supposed to be available from what I understand.  The app, not so much, unfortunately.  Or, at least they haven't had any announcements that indicate that (and in fact the opposite is true since they are saying it is the same day as release).   I mean, if it releases at Gencon, it releases and that's that.

I was hoping there might have been some sort of news one way or the other since I'm not as "dug in" for the various news sources.

5 minutes ago, Storgar said:

So if core sets, expansion packs, conversion kits and the app are all ready by Gen con - whats left for Sep 13th?

If you attended GenCon and got everything you wanted: nothing. But that's a very small percentage of the X-Wing population so in reality, 13th September is the release day for most.

1 minute ago, Jike said:

If you attended GenCon and got everything you wanted: nothing. But that's a very small percentage of the X-Wing population so in reality, 13th September is the release day for most.

Yeah.  It's probably 1% at most of all people who play X-wing.  I'm finally one of the few that will be there, though.  :)

7 minutes ago, Storgar said:

So if core sets, expansion packs, conversion kits and the app are all ready by Gen con - whats left for Sep 13th?

That's pre-release at GenCon. Street date is September. @Jike hits the major point that a very small percentage of players will have 2.0 in August, since GenCon is a single event.

Likewise, @heychadwick, I heard on an interview somewhere that the app was hoped to arrive. I did not interpret that as a promise though. While I'd like it, and stated I'm hoping for it, I will not be joining any pitchfork brigades if the app isn't ready until September.

FFG is from a marketing point of view probably trying to have a as bug-free and complete and comfortable-usable app as possible. Rushing out the app for the very few people at Gencon could seriously backfire, if the app at that release has still issues - cause that a lot more people might reconsider if they really will spend all the money for 2.0.

Getting a negative impression from the app in this "2.0 news craving state" the community is in right now could be quite bad for sales numbers.

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

I know the stated hope would be that the app would be ready... particularly since product is going to be getting out into the market... product that's quite limited on release if the app isn't ready.

I would expect the app... though it may not be as robust on release as it will be down the round (post-updates...)

If it follows the path of the IA app don't expect much down the road. Still waiting for more content there. 

8 minutes ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

If it follows the path of the IA app don't expect much down the road. Still waiting for more content there. 

It was released beginning of the year, and they've updated what content is useable already there... I'm not at all disappointed there

Edit: Also, different things.. X-Wing APP doesn't have a campaign to write.

Edited by LagJanson

Its probably because I'm a real cynic at my core, but I would temper expectations that the app is ready to go day 1.  They have a safety net in place with the threat cards, and when safety nets are in place, people get lazy and rely on said nets.  I am imagining there will be a period, hopefully short, where they tell us to use agreed upon threat levels to make squads until they "fix" whatever is wrong with the app.  I would doubly temper expectations that the glorious app will be able to handle all the things people hope it can handle, like list building, custom mods, point adjustments, save features, etc etc.   

Perhaps I'm wrong and everything will be perfect and available from the start, and if that's the case, I'll be smiling and wasting the next several weeks using the app :P