Frostthorn

UPDATED w/ POINTS: Fangs, report in! (Fang fighter spoiler collection)

I won't be getting the new ones either. Just bought another Pro. Starfighter to be able to fly 3.

The wings are attached to the body of the ship in one small area at the back. If the front of the wing gets pushed towards the nose of the ship, it might break off. 

Regardless, it is too little plastic to be holding all that wing.

12 hours ago, WWHSD said:

It's a **** shame that Clone Wars and Rebels trashed all of that. The Karen Traviss books might have been some of the best Star Wars fiction there was. 

I never read those but enjoyed Traviss's other Star Wars titles in the Legacy arc. What's the general premise of those books?

What was it in Clone Wars that put an end to the Republic Commando and then Imperial Commando series?

What was the conflict there? 

14 hours ago, WWHSD said:

It's a **** shame that Clone Wars and Rebels trashed all of that. The Karen Traviss books might have been some of the best Star Wars fiction there was. 

Well, Rebels at least had a better handling then Clone Wars, and brought back some of Traviss’s ideas. Still, the Traviss idea of Mandalorians is the best.

2 hours ago, Frimmel said:

I never read those but enjoyed Traviss's other Star Wars titles in the Legacy arc. What's the general premise of those books?

What was it in Clone Wars that put an end to the Republic Commando and then Imperial Commando series?

The story line starts during the clone wars, there were a few books until Order 66 happened, and then one book after. The Republic Commando and Imperial Commando books are all part of the series. 

The premise was that training of clones was done by Mandolorian mercenaries.  Through their training, parts of Mandolorian culture were picked up by the clones. The books establish that Mandolorian families and society tend to be very open to adoption with many Mandolorians being born to non-Mandolorian parents.  The books focus on one particular mercenary and the clone commandos that view him as a father figure. While there is some action related to missions and heists, most of the conflict in the books deals with the clones' struggle for identity and freedom and the mercenary's effort to protect his boys and keep his family together. The books also shine a light on problems with the Republic and the Jedi Order. I didn't come away thinking that the Jedi were really the good guys. 

The books really are fantastic. Even though they are no longer canon, I highly suggest picking them up. Star Wars books that don't focus on the Skywalker family tend to be my favorites.      

Edited by WWHSD

OYA, 

I've been a big fan of all of Karen Traviss work,  since I first picked up the second commando book....

Since Clone Wars, I've been waiting for a story line about how the Mandalorians just named a random planet Mandalor as a decoy to be devastated. While Mandal'yaim is perfectly safe, and like Traviss described. With a good number of clone deserters and their training sergeants living the good life....

Well... I can always hope, right?

Vode An.

5 hours ago, Frimmel said:

@WWHSD gave a great synopsis. I would like to add that Traviss introduced a really cool subplot tying in Kamino, Mandalorians, and the old Spaarti cloning cylinders from Timothy Zahn's series. It blew my mind!

I also enjoyed her novelization of the Clone Wars movie quite a bit. Karen Traviss made clones awesome!

5 hours ago, Parakitor said:

@WWHSD gave a great synopsis. I would like to add that Traviss introduced a really cool subplot tying in Kamino, Mandalorians, and the old Spaarti cloning cylinders from Timothy Zahn's series. It blew my mind!

I also enjoyed her novelization of the Clone Wars movie quite a bit. Karen Traviss made clones awesome!

She helped write the story for the Republic Commando video game as well, which is a prequel to the first novel. She spent something like 6 weeks at a British coammando training facility (as she herself is English) to get first hand experience on real military training and tactics. VERY good reads.

16 hours ago, william1134 said:

For some reason I really don't like the spinny wings on the fang fighter. Im not sure why, I guess it just looks silly to me.

Completely agree.

2 hours ago, Frostthorn said:

She helped write the story for the Republic Commando video game as well, which is a prequel to the first novel. She spent something like 6 weeks at a British coammando training facility (as she herself is English) to get first hand experience on real military training and tactics. VERY good reads.

I had no idea. That's awesome!

19 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I had no idea. That's awesome!

Got to say, I started reading the 1st Republic Commando novel today thanks to this thread and have been unable to put it down (navigate to other tabs). It's really quite excellent. Certainly stands on it's own merit rather than using popular cultural setting as a crutch. Which is a rare thing 

So thanks folks, big thumbs up all round.

Vode an!!

Everything I see about the new Fang Fighter I like! The only thing that makes me at all sad about it is that I already own four of them without spinny wings, so I'll probably end up having far too many once I buy all the spinny ones too! :) 

I think I saw in the painting and modding subforum that someone modded their 1.0 Fangs to have the spinny wings? Seeing a tutorial on that would be awesome! ;) 

1 hour ago, Frostthorn said:

Now if only we could get the app so we could get to squad building... would love to see if I could still rock my 4 (now) Skull Squadron pilots, or if I can even do 5. Or a pair or 3 with a Kath-marauder title-boba crew Firespray

We do know that the quick build cards have a Skull Squadron Pilot with Fearless for Threat Level 2. If I were to guess based off of the quick build information, Skull Squadron Pilots will cost >40 points or else they would have put a Hull Upgrade or something on the quick build. 

The quick build for the Zealous Recruit has a Threat Level of 2, and is equipped with only Proton Torpedoes. From other evidence, it seems Proton Torpedoes cost around 8 points. So that puts the Zealous Recruit very close to 40 points. 

Edited by J1mBob
Add Zealous Recruit info