drail14me

X-Wing themed gaming table??

**** Edited****  Completed the table. Photos below in this thread.  *****

I’ve got to build a new table for our local game store for use with X-Wing. Our store already has three 4’x8’ tables. We can play two games at once on these. However, the 40k guys also use these and always leave their stuff on them. Plus, these three tables are in a back room of the store.  I’m wanting to build a smaller table, 4x4 or 4x6 to put in the front of the store for better visibility and for Star Wars only (Mostly)  I plan on building it very solid and sturdy but want to decorate it in a Star Wars theme. I’m no artist so I’m looking for ideas. Can anyone share photos of any Star Wars themed store tables?

Edited by drail14me

31 minutes ago, GLEXOR said:

I would do 4x7, so that you can reasonably do two games at the same table, or have room on either side while doing epic.

Thanks. Just edited my OP for more details. Want a smaller table. 

4 hours ago, drail14me said:

Interesting idea!

Consider having players donate or suggest their favorite 1.0 lists / cards / custom alt arts / etc.  Then poly them into the surface.  Issue as a prize or auction off sections of the table and let the regulars provide the content (pending your approval).  Work in some of the promo posters, challenge coins, tokens, whatever.  Homage to the best/worst of 1.0

I say keep it simple.

Look at the aesthetics of the amazing table already shown. Simple star field, simple coloured ends for each team and Star Wars logo.

You want it in the front of the store to attract players. The bold simplicity of it will draw the eye, the Star Wars brand will draw the interest and the game itself will draw in the wallets. 

You also mentioned not being overly artistic. You're more likely to get a better result by keeping the build as simple as possible. Maybe think about buying a colleapsable table from a thrift store and screwing some MDF/plywood on top.

You could take the table in a lot of directions. My FLGS has 4x6 tables, which are a very luxurious size for a single game. You could easily take it down to 4x4 if you had a secondary ledge underneath for holding containers and such though, but it really depends on if you want it to be a crowd-drawing 'epic-enabled' table though.

I wouldn't advise a fold-out table in any regard. They're typically only 3' from the ground, and even for normal height people that sucks over 1.5 hours, let alone tall people like myself (6'6") bending over for 6 hours straight during a marathon or tournament. You really want a 4' height at minimum, and sturdier is better given the predisposition of X-wingers to lean on the edge when closely bumping analysing the board state.

Artwork is where it really gets interesting though. Inlays and starfields are some basic options, but you could get very fancy and abstract. Some ideas:

Have a shadowed portrait of the Emperor (hood on) centre table, with stylised designs of every meta king over the years surrounding him. Give it a real "everything has gone according to my plan" feel. Lay the artwork over a permanent rubber mat, so that it's not impeded by actual game play.

Planet backdrops are a little cliched, so you could go with another stellar design like a supernova or black hole (with event horizon).

If you wanted to be super fancy, while sticking to a relatively low budget, you could get fibre optic cable sticking up through a piece of black acrylic to give a real star feel. Extra points for knocking it up to a microprocessor to shift the lights.

3 hours ago, drail14me said:

It's complete.

Looks pretty sweet! What’s going on with the playing surface? It looks textured or rippled or something. 

I don’t know how I missed this thread before- I’m a cabinet maker and finish carpenter by trade and I have thought a lot about making a sweet X-Wing table. My dream is to use fiber optics to create a starfield that actually lights up. :D

3 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Looks pretty sweet! What’s going on with the playing surface? It looks textured or rippled or something. 

I don’t know how I missed this thread before- I’m a cabinet maker and finish carpenter by trade and I have thought a lot about making a sweet X-Wing table. My dream is to use fiber optics to create a starfield that actually lights up. :D

3 hours ago, Nspace said:

Very nicely done! I like the raised lip all the way around. And since Herowannabe asked my first question, I'll ask: How did you do the graphics?

The playing surface is Polycrylic Gloss. I poured on on extra thick and put a fan on it to distort it while drying. 

The graphics are just images from FFG articles printed on Avery full sheet labels. Stuck them on and coated them with several layers of Polycrylic. 

On 6/12/2018 at 10:30 AM, drail14me said:

**** Edited****  Completed the table. Photos below in this thread.  *****

I’ve got to build a new table for our local game store for use with X-Wing. Our store already has three 4’x8’ tables. We can play two games at once on these. However, the 40k guys also use these and always leave their stuff on them. Plus, these three tables are in a back room of the store.  I’m wanting to build a smaller table, 4x4 or 4x6 to put in the front of the store for better visibility and for Star Wars only (Mostly)  I plan on building it very solid and sturdy but want to decorate it in a Star Wars theme. I’m no artist so I’m looking for ideas. Can anyone share photos of any Star Wars themed store tables?

what is it with the 40K folks always leaving their stuff out? don't their games ever end???lol