Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vLabz

Is it based on the narrative dice system?

Recommended Posts

I see no mention of the NDS in the annoucement.

And why is it not based on Genesys ?

I thought Genesys was the pride of FFG in terms of RPG system so I'm a bit badly surprised by this choice...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, vLabz said:

I see no mention of the NDS in the annoucement.

And why is it not based on Genesys ?

I thought Genesys was the pride of FFG in terms of RPG system so I'm a bit badly surprised by this choice...

For reasons.

So the less snarky answer is that the two main designers (one of whom, Katrina Ostrander, is a long-time L5R fan, while the other is a more recent inductee to the setting) decided that they wanted a narrative dice system that paid homage and had vibes of the prior L5R games' roll and keep mechanic, while still having a degree of uniqueness.  So they came up with a new set of custom narrative dice that play to how they designed this version of L5R to operate.

As for not using Genesys, I'm sure it was considered at some point in the game's early development, but again the lead designers wanted to go for something not as radically different from the old RnK, perhaps in a hope to avert too many complaints about the dice system being so radically different from the classic RnK.  How well that worked out is a YMMV determination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a related question: How many dice packs are we going to need?

I've been lurking in the Genesys forums and the general consensus seems to be that you need three packs. Some have even suggested three packs per player unless you're willing to have a community dice pool that gets passed around the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JSM3050 said:

This is a related question: How many dice packs are we going to need?

I've been lurking in the Genesys forums and the general consensus seems to be that you need three packs. Some have even suggested three packs per player unless you're willing to have a community dice pool that gets passed around the table.

One per player. There seems to be a pretty hard cap of 10 dice in the Beta, but it is unclear if that cap is removed at higher ranks in the actual RPG.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JSM3050 said:

This is a related question: How many dice packs are we going to need?

I've been lurking in the Genesys forums and the general consensus seems to be that you need three packs. Some have even suggested three packs per player unless you're willing to have a community dice pool that gets passed around the table.

You can probably get by with one or two packs if the entire group is willing to share dice.

There's also the option of a dice roller app, which costs 5 bucks but lets you roll unlimited dice and also auto-tallys the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JSM3050 said:

I've been lurking in the Genesys forums and the general consensus seems to be that you need three packs. Some have even suggested three packs per player unless you're willing to have a community dice pool that gets passed around the table.

That kind of seems like a titch much, to me! When last we played Star Wars, we got on perfectly fine with having three sets in total floating around. I imagine things would largely depend on your table setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the best of my knowledge you will need at most 2 packs if people are willing to share but can go for one pack per player and be good.

The most anyone will be rolling barring explosions will be 5 trait/5 skill dice which is what comes in the pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 12:33 PM, tenchi2a said:

To the best of my knowledge you will need at most 2 packs if people are willing to share but can go for one pack per player and be good.

The most anyone will be rolling barring explosions will be 5 trait/5 skill dice which is what comes in the pack.

6-8, actually, thanks to the cooperation rules. Assuming a maximum group of 6 players...

5 ring for maximum ring
5 skill for maximum skill
+1 ring for a void point
up to +5 of either (but not both) for cooperation

It wasn't uncommon for my players, with starting PC's, to wind up rolling 6-7 ring or  5-7 skill on a single roll, despite the ring and skill cap of 3 each.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...