I've gotten to play this list already and it really surprised me in how well it did. I was wondering how people might feel this list would do in tournament play and if/how you'd lean it up. I managed to pull off a first/last double arc with Admonition which took down a Vader Cymoon and I've been pleased with the squadron ball, so it's given me a favorable impression so far.

In Harm's Way
Author: Dameon

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: Mon Mothma

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

[ flagship ] CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
-  Mon Mothma  ( 30  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)
= 88 total ship cost

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63 points)
Admonition  ( 8  points)
-  Walex Blissex  ( 5  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points)
= 92 total ship cost

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63 points)
Foresight  ( 8  points)
-  Major Derlin  ( 7  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points)
= 94 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points)
Bright Hope  ( 2  points)
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points)
-  Bomber Command Center  ( 8  points)
= 32 total ship cost

1 Hera Syndulla ( 28 points)
1 Biggs Darklighter ( 19 points)
2 X-Wing Squadrons ( 26 points)
1 Luke Skywalker ( 20 points)
= 93 total squadron cost

For competitive play, a higher bid and more activations are needed.  Getting a last-first means two things: a. Your opponent let you go first when you had black dice and he had red (generally a bad move)/didn’t bid and b. Had three or fewer activations, which is exceedingly rare in a competitive environment.  I’d get the bid by dropping BCC (you have no Intel, so bombing is already unreliable.)  I’d get the  minimum fifth activation by swapping Hera for a flotilla, and maybe a squad/slicer tools. Also, ECMs actually hurt you on an MC30 just by having them.  I have some lengthy posts on that I can dig up if you’re curious.  Salvage Run might help you more than DT, depending on how confident you are about hitting/not hitting obstacles. Good luck!

Yes, I am curious why having ECMs hurts me. I was already considering dropping BCC. Trading Hera for a floaty sounds like a good idea. Salvage Run doesn't get played a lot around here, so I'd want to practice with that mission before I am comfortable enough to try it competitively. Thanks for the ideas!

Edited by Dameon13
Spelling

Here you are.  Note that the bottom quote was helping someone with a specific scenario in their continual struggle with SW7s on a VSD-II, but the overall principle still applies (they would be rerolling accuracies instead.)

On 3/3/2018 at 11:13 AM, The Jabbawookie said:

If he's blocking defense tokens, he's actually helping you. Say, for example, he gets four accuracies and locks down everything. He's sacrificing four dice, which is at least four damage. Had he dealt damage with those four dice your tokens would have stopped four damage anyway (3 redirected + 1 evaded), but instead you get to keep your shields and still have fresh tokens. If he just locks down your redirects, you're only taking one more damage than you would have taken otherwise (if either would have been a double hit, then you're actually still better off.)* You can respond by evading, then using Admonition to discard the same evade you just spent. If you want ECMs on there, it's totally your call. But I recommend you try rolling some dice at Admonition with and without ECM, just to test.;)

*These days we have EWS, which is quite nice on 30s if you have the points, especially due to their huge side arcs.

On 3/4/2018 at 2:12 PM, The Jabbawookie said:

Here's why ECM isn't used much for the MC30.

Now, let's throw some imaginary dice at Admonition (ECMless.) Scenario a assumes he uses as many accuracies as needed; scenario b assumes he uses only damage. Bear with me, we're headed into headache territory, but you wanted elaboration.

I. Two rear arcs.

(a. If he spends two of his dice on accuracies, laugh, discard an evade and take zero damage each time.

(b. If he didn't use any accuracies, redirect the damage as well as discarding the evades each time, losing 3 shields on the front and one on the side (this is a prime example of how being given the choice to spend the tokens is worse, by the way.)

II. One side arc shot is taken.

(a. You have full shields, and no evade tokens, which were useless anyway.  If he spends 2 of his dice on accuracies, laugh and eat 2 damage on your shields.

(b. You now have 0 shields in front, 2 on the close side, 3 on the far side.  If he didn't use any accuracies, redirect two to the rear.

III. One VSD-II front arc shot is taken.

(a.  You have 1 shield on one side arc, full shields everywhere else, and no evade tokens (it sounds like the shot was close range, so these would be useless anyway.)  If he spends 2 dice on accuracies, discard a redirect and eat 3 damage: 2 to shields, 1 (we'll say a crit) to the hull.

(b.  All your shields are gone, except on one side. Which one doesn't matter, as he's shooting your rear.  If he spends no dice on accuracies, redirect 3 damage, discard a redirect and eat 2 to the hull.

IV.  The aftermath.

(a.  Congratulations, bold MC30! Barring further damage, you have survived the nightmare! You should have 3 hull points left.  It doesn't even matter if the VSD concentrated fire; you'd still have 2 hull points left. Now GTFO of there at full speed. :P

(b. Your survival is uncertain, but you should be alive. You should have 2 hull points left, barring any two of the following a. Structural Damage b. a double hit c. a concentrate fire command or d. quad battery turrets. GTFO if you're alive.

So what did we learn? We learned ECM doesn't guarantee your survival as well as Admonition. Why? He has SW7s. He can't block the only defense token that matters at close range (redirect.) Therefore, he'll use all accuracies as damage, because they're otherwise useless; that means ECM automatically puts you in scenario b, the "bad" one. There are other intricacies here (special combinations of additional CF commands, your speed/QBTs, double hits) but we'd be here all day. None of these make scenario b a better place to be.

One more note: without the Admonition title, usually a (one CF/QBT/Structural/double/ram required at any point) and always b result in a dead MC30.

Hope this helps!