Sign in to follow this  
Thrawn86

What's going on around here?!?

I leave for a month or two, come back to see if they've announced a Skipray Blastboat yet, and there's all this "X-Wing 2.0" stuff flying around now. What's going on around here?!? I never played tournaments, and just fly casually with friends and family (using non-unique pilots and small-base ships). Is 2.0 a complete overhaul of game mechanics? If so, what do I need to read, and what do I have to buy if I want to be "current"? Wondering if folks like me that only play casually will benefit from spending another $100+ on this game...

Lastly, what are the major issues that prompted 2.0? Only 2 or 3 different lists showing up to tournaments with the rest of your collection collecting dust on the shelf?

3 minutes ago, Thrawn86 said:

I leave for a month or two, come back to see if they've announced a Skipray Blastboat yet, and there's all this "X-Wing 2.0" stuff flying around now. What's going on around here?!? I never played tournaments, and just fly casually with friends and family (using non-unique pilots and small-base ships). Is 2.0 a complete overhaul of game mechanics? If so, what do I need to read, and what do I have to buy if I want to be "current"? Wondering if folks like me that only play casually will benefit from spending another $100+ on this game...

Lastly, what are the major issues that prompted 2.0? Only 2 or 3 different lists showing up to tournaments with the rest of your collection collecting dust on the shelf?

Hey, if you guys are content with the game and playing only in a contained environment like that, you may not want to upgrade. That said, a lot of ships are getting upgrades, and future releases (beyond wave 14) will only be 2.0 compatible so if the Blastboat comes, it will be second edition...

Major issues were a bit more than 2 or 3 lists, and those same issues can impact the casual stuff as well. Balance is never a tournament only problem, it's just highlighted in that scenario. Also, things like ion, barrel rolls, passive modifications, token stacking... these all got downgraded to some degree. FFG hit the big reset button to bring the power levels back down.

Best advice for your particular group is the wait and see approach. Read up and see what you think...

Does using a squad builder app mean that you get access to ALL potential upgrades (eg you don't have to buy an epic ship for Palpatine)? I'll see what FFG vids are up on youtube. 

@LagJanson, yeah, I think I'll wait and see how all the changes shape up before investing more $$$ into this game. We're already playing with our own house-rules which address some of the issues we've had with the game. 

Second Edit - thanks for that faqs link @svelok, that's uber helpful!

Edited by Thrawn86

2 minutes ago, Thrawn86 said:

Read the faq linked. 

There were many major issues going all the way back to 360 pwts. This fixes them all. Such as the example that all turreted primary ships now have mobile arcs like the shadowcaster of 1.0.

You will benefit because the game will be more about the basics - making movements with incomplete data and tough choices. Additionally, if you like only certain factions you can access everything in the game just from ships in that faction.

App also allows custom squadbuilding rules so should be better

1 minute ago, Thrawn86 said:

Does using a squad builder app mean that you get access to ALL potential upgrades (eg you don't have to buy an epic ship for Palpatine)? I'll see what FFG vids are up on youtube. 

I would assume so? I mean, it would be a great selling point if FFG let you play out a list, and you discovered you wanted the card for your use in tournaments... (well, not yours... but... y'know what I mean)

Very limited info on the app yet.

12 minutes ago, Thrawn86 said:

They did mention in one interview that the app will include updated wordings of cards if a card gets really bad. I've assumed that this means that the original wordings of all the cards will be there to start. For the casual player, I hope this is the case.

The best thing about the app for tourney players is that you only need it for list-building. You can print your list out for tourneys, no problem, leave your app-device at home if you feel like it. And there's going to be a website version, so not limited to people who have smart phones.

17 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

I would assume so? I mean, it would be a great selling point if FFG let you play out a list, and you discovered you wanted the card for your use in tournaments... (well, not yours... but... y'know what I mean)

Very limited info on the app yet.

Well how does the app know what you own? Just tell it you own everything and play from there! Problem solved.

3 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Well how does the app know what you own? Just tell it you own everything and play from there! Problem solved.

Well, they could include unique codes inside each expansions that you have to put into the app to prove you own it, but I doubt they'd do that. 

Just now, Frimmel said:

All seriousness aside the screenshot of the APP in the product page has a "Add Collection" tab/menu choice showing. 

swz01_app_screenshots.png

No different than the collection button on the Yet Another X-wing squad builder

16 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

All seriousness aside the screenshot of the APP in the product page has a "Add Collection" tab/menu choice showing. 

swz01_app_screenshots.png

If its gonna work like the excellent Imperial Assault app then i wouldn't worry about having to enter codes etc. its literally just a case of click on the expansions you own (or don't) to add them to the app.

2 hours ago, Thrawn86 said:

They got rid of the little upgrade cards. They got rid of the little upgrade cards. The little cards.

4 hours ago, Thrawn86 said:

Well, they could include unique codes inside each expansions that you have to put into the app to prove you own it, but I doubt they'd do that. 

Don’t give them ideas!!!

(although in honesty, the t65 packs given out at worlds would have had something like that and no one has reported such a thing)

9 hours ago, Thrawn86 said:

Honest truth? The devs realized everything was going pear-shaped, so they started working on fixing everything.  My advice? Wait for the release of the app, where the point levels and upgrade slots are stored.  I'm hopeful, but I've been burned before...

Edited by Audio Weasel

11 hours ago, Thrawn86 said:

Wondering if folks like me that only play casually will benefit from spending another $100+ on this game...

That is difficult to say and if your collection is only small ships the conversion kits will be a bad fit. However the changes coming will make for a more engaging game. Every ship will have access to equipping bullseye arc abilities which makes flying straight at each other a lot more interesting. Mobile arcs instead of turrets are joyful.

Even in a little casual group where everything is fine, 2.0 looks to be like a decent upgrade. It adds features to a lot of ships to make them more fun to fly, it bakes in a lot of the 'fixes' so that you don't need to stack two or three upgrade cards onto every ship, and adds some features/streamlines some procedures to make the game feel a lot less like a deck-building competition rather than a flying competition. I think it will only improve casual gaming groups.

Of course, it IS quite pricey. At a bare minimum for two factions and a new starter set you're looking at $140. 

16 hours ago, princeyg said:

If its gonna work like the excellent Imperial Assault app then i wouldn't worry about having to enter codes etc. its literally just a case of click on the expansions you own (or don't) to add them to the app.

Does the Imperial Assault app let you add individual cards?  I'm wondering if you can get stuff you buy off Ebay (not whole expansions) into the app?

14 minutes ago, papy72 said:

Does the Imperial Assault app let you add individual cards?  I'm wondering if you can get stuff you buy off Ebay (not whole expansions) into the app?

It does not. Also, the Imp Assault app, the official one, is not a squad builder but a campaign player. You select what expansions you have available and it uses them for and against you during mission creations.

@Thrawn86 - Something to think about... If you guys DID hypothetically pick up the expansion kits, you get dials, templates and plastic bases for a lot of ships, potentially ones you don't actually own. You can use those, obviously, in your home play and slap something else on the top of the stand if you wanted to fly new things... Hypothetically, anyway, assuming you guys don't already have access to everything.