player2801864

Special Forces Units

6 minutes ago, Mep said:

If my opponent wastes one of those excellent cards on one of my small 2 person units - I am all smiles. That is a win in my column.

Also it is hard to tell, but do they get the Trooper keyword for objectives? The images are kind of small and hard to read. If they do, they are very worth it.

So, serious question, what do you think the opportunity cost is on Coordinated Bombardment? Leia is mostly pinging units for 1, maybe 2 casualties and handing out suppression. How would wiping out a source of activations, suppression, damage and scoring be in any way worse the what she was already doing?

Also, the cheapest heavy weapon in the game (barring the flamethrower which is somewhat anamolous because of the short range) is the Z-6 that costs 22 or 12 pts more than a trooper for its unit. The Commandos are 15pts each with the strike team starting at 16. Even with a low estimate, that still puts the strike team in the same cost category as a naked corps since the strike teams have to take a heavy weapon.

Compare this to Veers doing 2-3 damage to an ATRT, the total damage your doing for the cost is the same and far better than what you'd get shooting at most infantry units. Are we saying the ATRT is so hard to damage that without Veers pinging it, it can't be killed? Because that has 100% not been my observation.

Unless these heavy weapons are far cheaper than anything we've seen so far, you'd get rid of ~40pts with a single command card without your opponent gaining any value from those points. I am legitimately baffled as to how this could be considered a poor trade and doubly so with Coordinated Bombardment where you're hitting multiple targets anyways.

Yeah, I would rather use those high powered command cards at the right time to wipe out a 90pt AT-RT than ~40pts of units in the deployment zone or use Leia correctly and hand out a bunch of suppression or take a couple of weaken units off the board in the middle of the game. At 40pts, they are pawn that get sacrificed. Getting an excellent command card out of your opponents hand is a good trade.

2 hours ago, Mep said:

Yeah, I would rather use those high powered command cards at the right time to wipe out a 90pt AT-RT than ~40pts of units in the deployment zone or use Leia correctly and hand out a bunch of suppression or take a couple of weaken units off the board in the middle of the game. At 40pts, they are pawn that get sacrificed. Getting an excellent command card out of your opponents hand is a good trade.

Coordinated bombardment is a turn 1 play most of the time anyway whether your opponent has a vulnerable sniper team or not.  As a rebel player, I would be thrilled if one of those three shots got to be able to take out a valuable unit like a sniper team instead of just handing out a suppression token to some random trooper squad.

1 hour ago, Matt Antilles said:

Yeah the heavy weapons are going to make or break the Spec Ops units. Looking forward to seeing what they do.

They make or break every unit, so I don't know why it would be any different here.  :)

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

Mostly correct, the fleet troopers run with no upgrades quite well. I've just been running 5 regular dudes. 10 surging white dice for 55 points does good work.

That scatter gun though, nasty weapon.

I'll definitely be getting at least one to replace a trooper squad.  I don't like how fragile normal trooper morale is away from a commander so they'll probably form a flanking unit.  Combined with my 3 vehicles I can cover a lot more ground with a single commander because of this.

In terms of morale they also have a secondary use if my commander buys the farm.  Promoting the commandos limits the morale disadvantage which is important because a trooper army without a commander tends to melt from panic.

Cutting Luke back to Han and replacing my 4 man trooper team with commandos leaves me 31 points to play around with to hopefully get a special weapon in.  This seems unlikely though- I'm going to have to do some re-jigging and probably lose a flamethrower AT-RT in return for a weapons squad and assorted upgrades on my troopers. 

On 6/11/2018 at 6:21 PM, Caimheul1313 said:

D'oh, forgot about Sharpshooter. Just means the unit has to be in Heavy Cover as well, still ends up with Cover 2 after subtracting Sharpshooter.

That is not how it works. YOu add cover up to two then reduce it. Sharpshooter 2 is basically "ignore all cover"