Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

Hey FFG why not just let us know the content in the conversion boxes are and your reasoning behind that.

The conversion kit is not about building hype!

its about maintaining customers, it’s about soothing fears. 

They have not done a good job of that as there is currently a bit of confusion of if their initial numbers were trustworthy. 

I’m not asking for spoilers I’m asking for a clear idea of value and content. 

40 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

The conversion kit is not about building hype!

its about maintaining customers, it’s about soothing fears. 

They have not done a good job of that as there is currently a bit of confusion of if their initial numbers were trustworthy. 

I’m not asking for spoilers I’m asking for a clear idea of value and content. 

I think it's a bit harsh to blame FFG for confusion caused by leaks and speculation... you guys bring this on yourselves.

Image result for space balls gif

6 hours ago, TheVeteranSergeant said:

They've been cornholing players since the start with a "Buy more stuff to do gooder" format the entire lifespan of the game.  Why would players care now?  You always had to buy a ton of ships you didn't need to get pieces of cardstock you did need.  The average championship list was a few hundred dollars worth of models, 75-80% weren't actually on the table.

Now you think players will revolt because they have to buy an extra conversion kit?  Excuse me why I chuckle.

Go ahead and chuckle, I'll wait.

The difference between then and now is the dollars that have already been spent. You're correct when stating that a lot of extraneous stuff had to be purchased just to get THE CARD or The Crew. Thinking Autothrusters and Papa Palpatine here.

From a competitive viewpoint, the game needed some radical rework. Not many competitive players will argue that point, It's a bit different when your standing on the casual side of the fence. As a beer and pretzel game nothing was OP or NPE. Simple sportsmanship handled that. Don't have a card? No problem, proxie it. Missing a generic ship token? Use another pilot. No T-70 Model? Use a T-65, no biggie.

My point here is that the casual player supports the game while the competitive players supply the advertising.. If the cost to transition from 1e to 2e is considered too high, a lot of casual players may say "screw it" refuse to transition an continue to play 1e or sell off their collections and get into something else. If the exodus is too great it may negatively impact the game and its future. One of the guys that I game with said that the number of people selling X-Wing collections on E-bay jumped four to five times in the weeks following the 2e announcement. I can't personally verify that number, I'm just passing along his observation.

As to "an extra conversion kit", if they are single faction players, one could work. If they play all three factions, or five now, you could be looking at an additional outlay of $250-$600 or more. And that's just to make what you have playable. Add in the cost of new releases in a year or the upgraded 2e expacs and you could be looking at a sizeable chunk of money.

Asmodee had to walk a fine line with pricing the conversions. Too much content or too cheap, they lose money. Not enough content or too expensive, they lose money and possibly the game. I think they call that intersection the "efficient frontier". Balancing risk vs reward. I'm pretty sure the number crunchers have it all worked out but mistakes have been made in the past so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone pushed the frontier a little too far this time.

the kits are only $50 from FFG.

I preordered mine for $42 CDN which works out to $32 US.

I was worried/annoyed with the initial price till I saw what it would be in Canada.

They are still high, but since I get every upgrade card/pilot card in one go, I will pay the price.

Updating old ships later will be more expensive as there is a $5 increase on the preorder expansion ships here.

This discussion again. Yay!

Everyone is different and can afford different things. I'll sell conversion kits for ships for £2 if anyone is interested. Considering i'm getting them for less than £1 each it's pretty fair price.

£1 per ship to upgrade. 

11 hours ago, Rat of Vengence said:

Ah, you sound like you've had to explain to a few clients why what the marketing department claimed/offered isn't quite possible....

:D

Image result for star wars gif that's not how it works

As someone who manages marketing and BD. Reigning in over enthusiastic sales people while not curbing their hunger is probably the most difficult part of my job. Besides making excuses to clients for poor execution of basic operations ;)

Edited by Timathius

8 hours ago, Stoneface said:

If the cost to transition from 1e to 2e is considered too high, a lot of casual players may say "screw it" refuse to transition an continue to play 1e or sell off their collections and get into something else.

Clearly you've never heard of Warhammer 40K.  Which costs way more than X-Wing and has been successfully selling new crap to players for over thirty years.  This is an almost meaningless transition.  Your revolution will not be televised. 

The success of 2.0 will have zero to do with cost and solely to do with the quality of the game's rules.

2 hours ago, TheVeteranSergeant said:

Clearly you've never heard of Warhammer 40K.  Which costs way more than X-Wing and has been successfully selling new crap to players for over thirty years.  This is an almost meaningless transition.  Your revolution will not be televised. 

The success of 2.0 will have zero to do with cost and solely to do with the quality of the game's rules.

I agree that a lot depends on the rules and the app for 2e survival. The app more than the rules.

Never discount the ticked off consumer. As for the revolt not being televised, I'll blame that on the media.

5 hours ago, Timathius said:

As someone who manages marketing and BD. Reigning in over enthusiastic sales people while not curbing their hunger is probably the most difficult part of my job. Besides making excuses to clients for poor execution of basic operations ;)

I honestly don't envy marketing. It's difficult to walk the thin line between "missing the window" and "promising things too soon."

That plus the need to clean up after the mess when sales decides to start selling things that don't exist yet... (been there a few times, unfortunately).

Mostly, though, I'd be a lousy marketing person myself. I'm too much of an engineer - which means I'm far too likely to overexplain things to the point of nobody understanding... :D