Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

Hey FFG why not just let us know the content in the conversion boxes are and your reasoning behind that.

You guys gave us a pretty vauge list of things at the start and the details we are seeing keep getting more confusing.

What I want to know.

The number of unique and generic pilot cards per ship.

how the pilot tokens are distributed per ship, are they double sided? How are the unique and generic pilots distributed across those sides.

A dial is not all that you require us to bring to an event. So to list the dial counts as the content count is wrong.

What is the reasoning behind supplying extra dials?

It feels like using the dial count as the “supported ship” count lead to my inflated expectation that is now being smashed. 

if I wanted to proxy I would spend 0 dollars converting instead of $140.

2 hours ago, TylerTT said:

You guys gave us a pretty vauge list of things at the start and the details we are seeing keep getting more confusing.

What I want to know.

The number of unique and generic pilot cards per ship.

how the pilot tokens are distributed per ship, are they double sided? How are the unique and generic pilots distributed across those sides.

A dial is not all that you require us to bring to an event. So to list the dial counts as the content count is wrong.

What is the reasoning behind supplying extra dials?

It feels like using the dial count as the “supported ship” count lead to my inflated expectation that is now being smashed. 

if I wanted to proxy I would spend 0 dollars converting instead of $140.

If FFG wanted that information to be public, they would have made it public.
Instead, they have put these product available for preorder without systematically listing what they contain. A responsible customer wouldn't buy (or preorder) anything without actually knowing what they are buying (except for those blind booster pack games, of course).

Of course, if I want to field 3 Rho gunboats, and the Imperial kit it says it supports 3 gunboats, maybe I could assume that would be enough for me. But most likely it wont since they don't tell you if it includes 3 copies of every generic pilot token.
Why don't they tell?
Either because we wouldn't like the answer ("You can only field 3 different gunboats"), or... well... maybe they just don't want people to feel confident to preorder these kits.

The second part of the previous sentence isn't a joke. They have said there will be a path for veterans to get the new ship pilots and upgrades that will come in Wave 2 and later without buying the models again.
If they re-release the gunboat in Wave * along with a Veteran conversion kit that includes another Nu, another Rho, and another couple of aces, plus new upgrades, I will probably want it.

But then I will be mad if I bought 3 Imperial Conversion Kits in Wave 1 to field my 3 Rhos. Now I will have an extra Rho pilot token I don't need, that could have saved me lots of money in Imperial Conversion kits if I had just waited!

What I am going to do instead is to buy 1 single faction conversion kit in Wave 1. Then, when ships are re-released, I'll get additional Veteran Wave Kits to fill up what I need.

I am going to bet that we will have "Re-Released Only" Tournaments. That is, the only legal ships are those that have been re-released as models in 2.0. So I won't need my 3 Rhos until it is re-released. And if I want to use them in casual, I can always proxy the pilot tokens.

The normal rule applies: never preorder.

Wait until the kits are in people's hands and you can find out what they contain without the information being filtered through a marketing department. Marketing works for Asmodee, not for you; they don't have your interests at heart.

8 minutes ago, kraedin said:

. Marketing works for Asmodee, not for you; they don't have your interests at heart.

While marketing works for Asmodee they better consider their player base or 2E will be very short lived.

If they are so tight fisted that they don't include enough generics pilots you may see a player revolt.

2 hours ago, Stoneface said:

While marketing works for Asmodee they better consider their player base or 2E will be very short lived.

I'm pretty sure they are, in a 'how can we make the most money out of these guys' way. 

I think from their point of view it makes sense not to spoil too much. 

Part of the player base will find the conversion kits worth it and buy them, the rest will not. 

With perfect information everyone can make that decision right now, before pre-ordering so FFG sells conversion kits to the guys who want them. 

Without perfect information however, some people will pre-order, others will wait. The guys who want the kits will buy them regardless, whether they pre-order or wait until release. However, out of the guys that pre-ordered, some of them wouldn't have, had they known the full content. Therefore FFG is selling kits to the guys that want them, but also to some of the guys who don't, yielding slightly more sales overall. 

To be clear I do not want to proxy anything. The cards are a critical part of the interface and My proxy comment was to counter the argument that failing having all the components for an official list I could just proxy the cards I’m missing. 

I’m quite happy FFG is doing the conversion kits. I simply want to set my expectations correctly and know their reasoning behind the kit content and what the future of conversion kits look like. 

8 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

For example I think a conversion kit that was just generics could be made as a cheap way to solve the large collection problem.

maybe that will be part of the epic conversion kit? 

That falls in line with ffg’s prior motives. Fix a problem with a more expensive box. I love epic but many bought epic just for the small ships fixes, makes perfect sense both in the context and previous actions the extra generics could very well be in an epic conversion.

They've said they're eliminating "Chase cards" i.e. you won't have to buy some specific pack just to get the card you want (like the autothrusters expansion that came with a free Starviper).

For that reason, I give it a 0.000001% chance that there's anything non-epic in the epic conversion. Would be a very bad PR move IMO.

What FFG or ANA may not quite understand is this new product launch is different than a normal product. This is about what players have already invested and how that investment carries forward. Not about building hype for something new.

Details about overall content and functionality are critical.

1 minute ago, ClassicalMoser said:

They've said they're eliminating "Chase cards" i.e. you won't have to buy some specific pack just to get the card you want (like the autothrusters expansion that came with a free Starviper).

For that reason, I give it a 0.000001% chance that there's anything non-epic in the epic conversion. Would be a very bad PR move IMO.

FFG said there won't be a need to buy another faction's ships for cards. What they never said however is that cards will be available for al factions at the same time. It's entirely possible for Rebels to get a great card now, and Empire and Scum to get it 2-3 waves down the line without breaking FFGs promise. 

2 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

FFG said there won't be a need to buy another faction's ships for cards. What they never said however is that cards will be available for al factions at the same time. It's entirely possible for Rebels to get a great card now, and Empire and Scum to get it 2-3 waves down the line without breaking FFGs promise. 

When they were talking about chase cards, they did specifically mention the Raider for Palp and the Tantive IV for C-3PO. I'm pretty sure that epics are just going to be epics in the future.

1 minute ago, ClassicalMoser said:

When they were talking about chase cards, they did specifically mention the Raider for Palp and the Tantive IV for C-3PO. I'm pretty sure that epics are just going to be epics in the future.

And i will happily convert the ones I own but likely not but new ones unless I see a lot more use in 2.0 

9 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

FFG owes you nothing.  NOTHING.

because they gave us the most beautiful and glorious ship that’s ever graced the spaceways: GUNBOAT!  With the release of the Alpha-class xG-1 Starwing Assault GUNBOAT FFG has been absolved if all past, present and future wrongdoings.

except only putting 3 GUNBOATS in the conversion kit.  WTF FFG do you not love us anymore?  You have to know that every player bought at least 5 GUNBOATS as soon as possible.  

In conclusion: GUNBOAT

Um, ok no one is stopping you.  Proxy away!  Take that FFG, you will get none of my precious gaming dollars! (Or insert random currency here). For me, I think it’s excellent that buying a conversion kit saves me from spending hundreds or thousands on ‘new’ ships merely to replace my existing collection.

You can never have too many gunboats.

Edited by Jehovah Netto

17 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

You missed the point entirely. It’s not about some killer upgrade it’s about fielding extra of cheap pilots which makes perfect sense in an epic environment, or are academy pilots gonna be chase cards? Lol man that would be something after all this.

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I was replying more to the part about 'no more Autothrusters packs' of your post. No clue what will happen to Epic. 

Their information so far has been quick, open and refreshing honestly. They have really tried to be creative, like having Alex play with the public both sides of the pond and answer a bunch of questions he probably didn't have to. 

I do do agree they need to keep this up and kit contents should be published nice and early (getting the player base on side has to be better long term than a few extra pre-orders?!) But I have faith they will get that info out there and do so in a timely fashion (before GenCon).

6 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Except that Maul is now a $50 card for the faction that he originally came in.

Thanks to @wurms post I’m done. Complaining not playing. The rebel set looks pretty good, little weird they double genericed the yt2400 and they did short awings and z95’s 1 generic but everything else looks ok to good. The empire has waaaaay more 3 piece sets though if they short all those 1 I’ll be pissed but the rebs are fine.

Again a lot of this could have been prevented if ffg had posted that instead of a leak but whatever. Sky returned to it’s proper place. Now to work on storage solutions.