DarkSpade

Anyone else feeling stuck by this change?

3 minutes ago, any2cards said:

In a perfect world, there would be a balanced distribution and supply/demand for assets available within the conversion kits. In that world, everyone searching for items, say on eBay, would be met with equal sellers/traders. It is my humble opinion that this "world" is pure fantasy.

[trimmed by me for space]

4 minutes ago, any2cards said:

Second, many of the posters on this site are already unhappy with the make up of each of these kits ... many for the exact same reasons. Therefore, I would predict that demand for certain items is going to far out weigh supply

That's not too far away from the current secondary market: let's face it, most of the items in any given pack aren't really wanted by anyone. In which case cards from those packs are priced accordingly and, yes, are harder to find but not impossible. In fact if you compare the cards in current large/epic ships then there's actually a lot less to resell for the price compared to a conversion kit. 

The rest of your post seems to about a lack of supply period. I mean, it wouldn't be an FFG launch without overall stock issues. But the difference between these packs and something like Destiny is that it's all cards and cardboard, no plastic or new components. One would hope that the production of that isn't going to cause them much an issue unless they massively underestimate demand (he says with undue confidence...)

Not that it isn't a risk, mind, but generally FFG seem to get there with stock eventually. They haven't done a full Ashes yet.

5 hours ago, punkUser said:

If you're not playing competitive 100/6 (200/6? :)) you *definitely* don't need multiple conversion kits! There will be plenty of bases in the conversion kits and unless you're ornery about them matching all your ships perfectly everything is totally playable with just a single kit. If you really do want every one of your x-wings to say "blue squadron" or whatever on the base (MAH THEME) that's cool but that's pretty voluntary and hardly a criticism of the conversion kit contents.

The dials are the catch. Third party dials are just as expensive, if not more so than the FFG kits, and none of the manufacturers have updated their range for 2.0 yet. If I'm looking at spending $50+ on third party dials just to cover the ships that are missed out by a conversion kit, then I'm really better off buying that second conversion kit. At least it comes with all the other gubbins you normally need as well, and it means all my dials have a uniform look instead of all being mismatched.

45 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

The dials are the catch. Third party dials are just as expensive, if not more so than the FFG kits, and none of the manufacturers have updated their range for 2.0 yet. If I'm looking at spending $50+ on third party dials just to cover the ships that are missed out by a conversion kit, then I'm really better off buying that second conversion kit. At least it comes with all the other gubbins you normally need as well, and it means all my dials have a uniform look instead of all being mismatched.

True, depending on the ship. A fair number have good 1.0 dial proxies (as I'm learning from lots of 2.0 proxy games) but there are a few that are different enough from anything in 1.0 to be a problem, so certainly in those cases it's probably easier just to get another set. That said, you're still getting very good value IMO compared to what you originally paid for all of those ships.

Just now, punkUser said:

True, depending on the ship. A fair number have good 1.0 dial proxies (as I'm learning from lots of 2.0 proxy games) but there are a few that are different enough from anything in 1.0 to be a problem, so certainly in those cases it's probably easier just to get another set. That said, you're still getting very good value IMO compared to what you originally paid for all of those ships.

Don't start me on the value thing lol, this is looking to be the most expensive edition change I've ever been through, and I did GW games for twenty years! It's still good value to me, or else I wouldn't even be considering it, but it's RIIIIGHT on the end of the spectrum of things I consider good value for money.

9 hours ago, NilsTillander said:

Errrrrrr, are you suggesting that the supply of conversion kit will actually be in excess of the demand, or that they might reprint them later? 

My biggest fear is that there won't be quite enough of them, and if you don't pick up the kits in the first few months, you'll be stuck forever... 

If there aren't enough the first couple months then they'll just reprint some more. Will always be somewhere that has them not sold and will sell them for cheap. Amazon, eBay, Miniature Market. These are the places that will have them for sale cheap in 8 months after release.

Personally I am happy to be getting some dials for those that I lost (Gunboat, tragically) and I am thinking about which ships I can still get, hopefully at reduced prices soon, that are within the limits. If I am going to get more dials, why not get the ships cheap?

There are some small ships over 2 in all the kits but regardless i found myself needing 2 of each faction upgrade packs to cover my collection.  With a few short falls and a lot of extra unwanted stuff particularly large ships. I decided to sell off all the extra ships to get back down to 1 upgrade per faction. I dont regret this as ive covered the cost of the upgrade kits as a bonus.  

2 hours ago, Arobe said:

There are some small ships over 2 in all the kits but regardless i found myself needing 2 of each faction upgrade packs to cover my collection.  With a few short falls and a lot of extra unwanted stuff particularly large ships. I decided to sell off all the extra ships to get back down to 1 upgrade per faction. I dont regret this as ive covered the cost of the upgrade kits as a bonus.  

I mean, I don't want to tell you your business but wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to just hang on to the ships and buy a second upgrade kit at another time? Either way you're still only flying with the contents of a single conversion kit for a while, but it saves you re-buying those ships later on down the track when you start to want to fly those sorts of lists again.

On 6/9/2018 at 12:30 PM, Stefan said:

Buy one conversion kit and then resort to barter and the secondary market.

You sir, take your logic and common sense and get the heck out of here!! No one has time for that!

On 6/9/2018 at 3:36 PM, wurms said:

Buy what you need to begin playing with. If you only play a couple times a month, why convert your entire collection right this instant? You arent going to fly 8 Tie Swarm, and 5 awings, and BBBBZ, and FIVE. CARTEL. MARAUDERS right out the gate. Just slow down and breathe. WOOSAH

My concern is that if I wait to buy the conversion kits for every faction right out of the gate that they may no longer be available  when I need them. Has FFG committed to making the conversion kits as an ongoing SKU or are they only making them during a transition period?

10 hours ago, Cusm said:

You sir, take your logic and common sense and get the heck out of here!! No one has time for that!

Hey, wanna trade my two Ghost kits for two of your T65 X Wing kits?

No?

Didn't think so.

Barter/secondary market is going to be a **** show.

1 hour ago, Chucknuckle said:

No?

Didn't think so.

People expecting to trade with their local community's leftovers are probably going to be disappointed.  The real money is in buying whole kits and selling them piece by piece, which people have already done with regular ship expansions for years now, and the demand was not nearly as high as it's going to be for 2.0

personally I'll be grabbing two imperial and rebel kits and one scum, then looking to possibly trade some of my unused conversions and/or extra unconverted 1.0 ship models for some of the 1.0 models i don't have from the more recent waves.  I've been looking to cut down on my collection a little and this seems like as good a chance as any, and might help the sting of the initial 2.0 conversion costs.

3 hours ago, WWHSD said:

My concern is that if I wait to buy the conversion kits for every faction right out of the gate that they may no longer be available  when I need them. Has FFG committed to making the conversion kits as an ongoing SKU or are they only making them during a transition period?

Descent 2nd Edition came out in 2012 and the conversion kit is still available on the FFG website. Granted, it's not a guarantee but the precedent is there for long term availability.

Jim

4 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

No?

Didn't think so.

I would have but you brought that attitude.

Lighten up Frances. 

We don’t know points yet and what was able to fit in a list of 1.0 may not fit in 2.0. People keep putting the cart before the horse and get bent out of shape without full information. 

Edited by Cusm

7 minutes ago, Cusm said:

We don’t know points yet and what was able to fit in a list

I already know how many ships I can field, and that number is "as many as I want" because there's no rule that I have to only play 200 point games.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:37 PM, FTS Gecko said:

It's going to be an entirely new meta.  Why worry about not being able to field a squad of 5 A-Wings or whatever when you don't even know if it will be possible in the first place.

I have a pretty **** large collection, and despite my penchant for FIVE.  CARTEL.  MARAUDERS.  I'll only be picking up one Scum conversion kit.  Why?  Because one kit will still give you hundreds of combinations to try out, and if I decide I want to field more, then I can pick them up at a later date.

You're under no obligation to update every single one of your ships, and certainly under no obligation to do it all at once.

This is 100% true, but not everyone thinks logically.

8 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

No?

Didn't think so.

Noy everybody has 2 or more of every ship. In fact some people may not even have 1 of every ship.