Sign in to follow this  
CaptainRocket

E-Web finally the answer to Rebel Trooper spam? Rock, Paper, *and* Scissors are now in the game?

I am super excited about the E-Web with barrage generator!

For a mere 65 points I can park myself with Standby & Sentinel (and morale 2) and have an answer to those pesky cockroach-like Rebel Z-6 squads! Pair two E-Webs, with two DLT or HH squads to control fields of fire, and then use some Snowtroopers or Scouts to advance and capture objectives... "Soon the Rebellion will be crushed!"

More generally I'm thinking this makes vehicles more interesting again as an answer to these heavy support weapons, so maybe we'll start to see pressure to have combined arms armies that balance:

Troopers > Vehicles

Support Weapons > Troopers

Vehicles > Support Weapons

15 minutes ago, Gun4hire said:

The eweb has only 4 hp and has cumbersome. I feel like these are gonna die 80% od the time before after they shoot once.

I don’t know, they have a pretty low profile and a red defense die.  Throw them in heavy cover and they should actually be pretty durable, especially for just 55 points.

2 minutes ago, Orkimedes said:

I don’t know, they have a pretty low profile and a red defense die.  Throw them in heavy cover and they should actually be pretty durable, especially for just 55 points.

That and the fact that their 1-3 standby will be a deterrent of sorts... especially depending on generator upgrade...

Just now, Orkimedes said:

Yep, assuming the treat cover like other Troopers, both Emplacement Troopers will be pretty durable and not see any drop in firepower as they take wounds.

That being said, they really don't roll enough dice to reliably punch through cover/dodge to kill things.  The E-Web will do better here as it at least can Surge to Crit.  The 1.4 is a decent Impact platform, but really where both will shine is using the Barrage Generator for Suppressive and/or Sentinel to ambush.

1 hour ago, Orkimedes said:

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

That and the fact that their 1-3 standby will be a deterrent of sorts... especially depending on generator upgrade...

1 hour ago, shmitty said:

will shine is using the Barrage Generator for Suppressive and/or Sentinel to ambush.

Yes, exactly what I'm thinking - cheap deny/defend. This is exactly what a support weapon should be!

Yes. Feels like a standard move in the first rounds of the game is gonna be a move-pivot-standby. And since it is 1-3 you can be sure you gonna get some use out of your points. And the supressive exhaust card is gonna be truly gold later on in the rounds. 

Troopers cant get a shot on them except with the few special weapons that reach that far (which rebels dont have) without walking into the standby range.
Thats huge. Any trooper that tries to take them out will need to be backed by another trooper (which ends up being far more points than the eweb is to deal with it) or runs the heavy risk of losing half their dudes before they get to fire.

This is one of the major unit types/tactic types that was missing in the game imo. Vehicles are simply slaughtered right now, so its just trooper spam and quite frankly rebels win in troopers vs troopers imo.

This is going to cause R4 or R4+ weapons to be really desired simply to just shut that standby off. 

Edited by Vineheart01

I don't know that this is going to end Rebel trooper spam, but it is a good start to an effective counter.  It will play very differently than any unit so far (albeit not quite as different as the 1.4).  Two covering objectives will force a lot of choices that the rebels don't need to make today about how to advance.  

On 6/8/2018 at 10:26 AM, Gun4hire said:

The eweb has only 4 hp and has cumbersome. I feel like these are gonna die 80% od the time before after they shoot once.

This will be the case if you don't place terrain correctly. If you do, you should have the eweb into place turn 1 behind heavy cover and it sits there all game covering an objective. If you don't have good terrain placement and these guys have to move out in the open, they're dead meat.

14 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

Troopers cant get a shot on them except with the few special weapons that reach that far (which rebels dont have) without walking into the standby range.
Thats huge. Any trooper that tries to take them out will need to be backed by another trooper (which ends up being far more points than the eweb is to deal with it) or runs the heavy risk of losing half their dudes before they get to fire.

This is one of the major unit types/tactic types that was missing in the game imo. Vehicles are simply slaughtered right now, so its just trooper spam and quite frankly rebels win in troopers vs troopers imo.

This is going to cause R4 or R4+ weapons to be really desired simply to just shut that standby off. 

Yes, Rebels well need R4 AT-RTs to deal with these rather than just leaving their RTs at home and breaking all the troopers.