Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ringofox

Missing oportunity?

Recommended Posts

The point was that they are likely going to be gun shy about publishing on a license after being burned twice now. Hence the thought that the next thing we will see is them outright buying a game system and/or setting as opposed to licensing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joelist said:

The point was that they are likely going to be gun shy about publishing on a license after being burned twice now. Hence the thought that the next thing we will see is them outright buying a game system and/or setting as opposed to licensing. 

I don't think that's true at all. One of the issues with buying a license is finding a company that wants to sell the license and make a lump sum rather than long term profits with little to no risk. FFG is hardly going to say no to licenses the size of Star Wars, because they can easily make their money back during the terms of the license even though there is NO way they could afford to purchase the setting. If the SW license doesn't renew for some reason, then they move onto the next games (and see how they can salvage something from the cancelled games once any delays built into the license agreement expire) but they certainly aren't going to be able to BUY the rights. 

Rumor has it that the GW license was not renewed by FFG/Asmodee, probably to focus more of their other lines of products, especially the Star Wars license judging by how much that seems to have grown since the ending of the agreement of GW.

On the other hand, Netrunner was lost as WotC would not renew. However, they do still have the Android setting (FFG produced a board game called Android in 2008, four years before they obtained the Netrunner license), they just can't produce the Netrunner card game, or (likely) any card games closely resembling it. This could be because WotC say that FFG made Netrunner profitable again and wants to do their own re-release of the game, WotC has some other company interested in purchasing the agreement, or just because WotC/Hasbro (parent corporation of WotC) is starting to view FFG as competition, and wants to take a property away. Regardless, it's not like FFG didn't make a fair amount of money during the length of the license. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

This could be because WotC say that FFG made Netrunner profitable again and wants to do their own re-release of the game, WotC has some other company interested in purchasing the agreement, or just because WotC/Hasbro (parent corporation of WotC) is starting to view FFG as competition, and wants to take a property away. 

That's where my money goes. Hasbro, through acquisitions of the major game companies, essentially owned the games aisles at Walmart and the like for a long time. But they haven't innovated much, and as a result, they've lost out on the gaming growth in non-traditional-big-box retail, and with some of its recent acquisitions, Asmodee has started to make inroads into the big-box stores, as well, with some of their titles (Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc.) outselling some of the old staples that Hasbro has run for decades.

Edited by Xelto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So as someone who knows nothing about the old Warhammer game this is supposedly based on, can someone explain to me how this is not just Descent 2E but without the grid or Overlord? 

That's not a slight BTW. I'm intrigued by this game and want to know if my perception is correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

So as someone who knows nothing about the old Warhammer game this is supposedly based on, can someone explain to me how this is not just Descent 2E but without the grid or Overlord? 

Um... well, to begin with, it's 2 player only, player vs. player. And you have armies, instead of skirmish-level units, which you can build in whatever way you please, up to a certain point limit.

But the biggest noticeable difference are the command tools. Instead of taking turns moving your pieces, at the start of the turn, each of you give your units orders for what they're going to do that turn. Each action has a speed associated with it, and both players do all the speed-1 programmed actions first, then the speed-2, then speed-3, up to speed-9. This leads to a fog-of-war approach, where you may well find out that the move you thought was wonderful wasn't, because your opponent did something you didn't plan on (or because you simply screwed up).

Each unit type has a different set of commands and abilities available to them. So, for instance, your zombie figures tend to move shorter distances (and at a later initiative), and attack at slower speeds than most other units. The elves tend to have a lot of maneuverability options than other units. The knights are better at getting rid of panic than other units. And so forth.

And, of course, you can customize the units you have. What you can add to the unit depends on the unit. For instance, some of your army types can get musician upgrades, some can't, and some can only get them if they're big enough. There are also upgrades for training, equipment, heraldry, champions and other special units, artifacts, and upgrades specific to individual units only. 

Ignore this, for some reason, I mixed up which forum I was in. This is a description of Runewars Miniatures Game, not HoT.

Edited by Xelto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Xelto said:

Um... well, to begin with, it's 2 player only, player vs. player. And you have armies, instead of skirmish-level units, which you can build in whatever way you please, up to a certain point limit.

But the biggest noticeable difference are the command tools. Instead of taking turns moving your pieces, at the start of the turn, each of you give your units orders for what they're going to do that turn. Each action has a speed associated with it, and both players do all the speed-1 programmed actions first, then the speed-2, then speed-3, up to speed-9. This leads to a fog-of-war approach, where you may well find out that the move you thought was wonderful wasn't, because your opponent did something you didn't plan on (or because you simply screwed up).

Each unit type has a different set of commands and abilities available to them. So, for instance, your zombie figures tend to move shorter distances (and at a later initiative), and attack at slower speeds than most other units. The elves tend to have a lot of maneuverability options than other units. The knights are better at getting rid of panic than other units. And so forth.

And, of course, you can customize the units you have. What you can add to the unit depends on the unit. For instance, some of your army types can get musician upgrades, some can't, and some can only get them if they're big enough. There are also upgrades for training, equipment, heraldry, champions and other special units, artifacts, and upgrades specific to individual units only. 

Wait I'm confused. The announcement page clearly says it's for up to 4 players who each control a single hero. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Pollux85 said:

Wait I'm confused. The announcement page clearly says it's for up to 4 players who each control a single hero. 

Oops, wrong game. For some reason, I thought I was in the Runewars Miniatures Game forum, because I've been hanging out there, and Descent is far more like RMG than it is to Heroes of Terrinoth. Even though they're not all that close.

This game has little in common with Descent. They will share some of the characters (both heroes and villains) and the general dungeon-crawl feeling, but this game has cards only, no figures or maps. It's fully co-op, not all vs. 1. 

Edited by Xelto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

So as someone who knows nothing about the old Warhammer game this is supposedly based on, can someone explain to me how this is not just Descent 2E but without the grid or Overlord? 

That's not a slight BTW. I'm intrigued by this game and want to know if my perception is correct. 

So FFG actually still hosts the rules for the WHQCG. I'm not linking directly jic, but a google search for "Warhammer quest the card game rules" turned up the pdfs on the FFG website as the top two answers (learn to play and full rules reference). 

Warning: Very basic description of gameplay follows

I don't know how Descent works, my perception is that it is very similar to Mansions of Madness or Imperial Assault, where you move minis around to complete quests with one player controlling the "opposition." So the first major difference is that all the players are working together against the board, and unlike the other games, no app is required to allow that. Instead, decks are prepared to randomize enemies, rooms, and treasures encountered in the course of the quest. Also, the game is entirely based on cards, no miniatures.

Each player selects a hero, and takes the four action cards that the hero starts with: Attack, Rest, Explore, and Aid. A turn consists of each player taking a single one of their actions, performing that action by rolling some number of dice to determine success or failure (as detailed on the action card), and then "exhausting" it (turning it sideways). After each player has taken a turn, you resolve an enemy phase, where each player takes turn activating an enemy card that is "readied" (not exhausted).  After all enemies have been exhausted, they are then readied and you move on the the Location phase. If there are enough explore tokens (typically earned through Explore actions), then the Location card is discarded and replaced with the next Location in the deck. The players then get another turn. Players cannot use Actions that are exhausted, but one of the four actions will allow you to Ready all of your actions, which differs depending on the hero being played. For instance, the elf's Attack action readies all of her actions, while the Dwarf's Aid is his Ready action.

Edited by Caimheul1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a VERY well designed card game. The players are each playing a character and together they complete quests - the game system is the "Overlord". Also it is full co-op - everyone wins or loses together. Now while it is a card game it does not use "decks" and as such is neither an LCG or CCG. Expansions would be in the form of new quests with new creature, location, equipment, character and other such cards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they add enough base cards to play with more than one character of each class. In the descent 2e core, we played many times with knight and barbarian or rune master and necro. Its too boring to play with scout,warrior,healer and mage each game, even with the different specs and heroes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BoardRadio said:

I hope they add enough base cards to play with more than one character of each class. In the descent 2e core, we played many times with knight and barbarian or rune master and necro. Its too boring to play with scout,warrior,healer and mage each game, even with the different specs and heroes.

It looks like there are 4 classes with 3 heroes each. The hero has a unique ability, but all heroes from a class appear to use the same set of 4 action cards. That means a 4-hero game will always have the same 4 classes in each game (until expansions arrive).

I look forward to seeing if the hero abilities make each hero feel very different. I also wonder if there will only be 32 action cards or if there will be more variety than that (that's 4 basic actions and 4 advanced actions for each of the 4 classes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×