Eyegor

What’s with all the stop maneuvers?

Sorry if this sounds like whining but it seems that they have taken one of the few defining tricks of ships like the Lambda and the U-wing and started passing it out like candy. 

A 0 maneuver was quite powerful when it was very rare that you saw one. Now I think it will be uncommon at best, just another maneuver at worst. 

Anyone else notice/feel this or have I inhaled too much Spice again?

Edited by Eyegor

cdn1.theodysseyonline.com&s=974&h=b072b4

Joking aside, it's probably fine. Even if the 0 does become "just another maneuver," it's a fun thing to think about sometimes. Is he going to stop? Does he know that I know that? Does he know I know he knows? I think it adds more to the depth of the guessing game of flying that the core mechanics are supposed to reward and entice you to try.

I'm both excited and worried about the Direction and future of 2.0.

The cost.  Yes it looks amazing!  But the cost is going to hurt.   

Having a stop maneuver and a ship with 2 attack dice doesn't make  much difference. We'll just have to have faith until they prove themselves. 

1 hour ago, Eyegor said:

Sorry if this sounds like whining but it seems that they have taken one of the few defining tricks of ships like the Lambda and the U-wing and started passing it out like candy. 

A 0 maneuver was quite powerful when it was very rare that you saw one. Now I think it will be uncommon at best, just another maneuver at worst. 

I found it very strange in the TIE Punisher dial, at least...

My logic is that everything has repulsors for landing and hovering, and engines for motive power. Some ships are heavy and slow enough that if they hold the 'brakes' they can stop without disengaging the engines for a little while. But if you have to disengage the engines it takes longer then you have in game to restart them and drifting just gets you killed.

So you could stop and hover in every ship, just not as an in game action.

Red stop manoeuvres will never be a problem for any ship. Just like the 5k and 3-tallon roll, they're simply another thing to plan for on ships that pay to have them. On the other hand, a white stop manoeuvre would be nearly game-breaking, and would have to be 10 points in and of itself, at the very least.

7 hours ago, Astech said:

Red stop manoeuvres will never be a problem for any ship. Just like the 5k and 3-tallon roll, they're simply another thing to plan for on ships that pay to have them. On the other hand, a white stop manoeuvre would be nearly game-breaking, and would have to be 10 points in and of itself, at the very least.

Couldn't you just throw Hera and Ezra on Saws U wing along with wired.  28 pts for a ship that has decent modifiers while stressed and never has to move?

I mean...it's space. Everything should be able to "stop" (hold position at one reference point) indefinitely.  In theory, any ship that does a K-turn (or any other 180 degree turn move) has to "stop" before it can start moving in the opposite direction it was going before.

I think they made most ships have a compulsory move in order to keep the game moving (like chess).  Otherwise any player using any list could just sit in a corner forever. My last point is probably why the 0 stop is red...

13 hours ago, Eyegor said:

They really did give a lot more ships the stop. I forgot the HWK-290, G1A, Auzituck and Punisher got it.

I just had a thought about how would a Battlestar Galactica dogfighting game be. Vipers would be stopping, barrel rolling, turning, reversing, and looping with impunity. It would be bananas.  Let's just be glad that there is a fairly consistent set of maneuvers in X-Wing.

We will know soon enough with regards to BG. Ares is demoing it at Origins I believe. One article said something about manoeuvre first and then adjust the facing.

Ares is releasing more info in the coming weeks/month. The viper model looks awesome BTW. I'll pick one up for the model alone.

Doubt I'll buy into it as I have their WWI/WWII planes and FFGs x-wing now. Enough to keep me busy for a decade or two.

6 hours ago, Eyegor said:

Good thoughts everyone. I just want to be sitting at the table and call out “I’ll put on the brakes and he’ll fly right by.”?

You do that and I'll sit at the next table.   When I hear you, I'll shout "YEEHAW, JESTERS DEAD!"  Scare the crap outta the whole room

4 hours ago, BDrafty said:

I think they made most ships have a compulsory move in order to keep the game moving (like chess).  Otherwise any player using any list could just sit in a corner forever. My last point is probably why the 0 stop is red...

You can kinda face up and do that with 1 straights already can't you? Not pointing in particularly useful directions, but still. Not something I've really seen much or thought about but seems feasible...

Edit. Posted before seeing that vid. Don't actually know if that's the jist of it. I tried to watch but oh... my... gawsh.... so...........      snooore..

Edited by Cuz05

9 hours ago, MyPalValen said:

Couldn't you just throw Hera and Ezra on Saws U wing along with wired.  28 pts for a ship that has decent modifiers while stressed and never has to move?

For one, that's a unique combo, so the rest of the squad is either pinned actionless in the corner or is flying around leaving the U-wing behind. Secondly, the mods you get there are not even as good as predator + a focus token, for a much higher price. So one sucks at flying entirely, it's still better to have the U-wing out and about.

Just because you can sit in a corner doesn't mean you should nor do you have too.  The original claim was a white stop would be game breaking and while this isnt quite a white stop, it is a combo that lets you stop for as many turns as you like while still providing modifiers on attack and defence.  So although its not a true white stop its fairly close....

At 28 pts that leaves lots of space for other ships that like stress to benefit from Saws Uwing.  

6 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Those ships now have other, better defining tricks.

I neither agree nor disagree with that statement.  Although, if that's the case, then a white stop in itself is not a super powerful maneuver. 
The original claim however was:  

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:38 AM, Astech said:

white stop manoeuvre would be nearly game-breaking, and would have to be 10 points in and of itself, at the very least.

Which is what I'm talking about.  If a white stop truly was extremely powerful and bordering on 'game breaking' then unlimited red-stops with decent, (not necessarily the best, but just decent) modifiers should be pretty powerful.  
Saw with Predator plus focus is not all that cheaper, (the difference is 2pts) and I don't know if that would be super duper better if you're being shot at by multiple targets.  If you're goal is to get focus tokens, you could toss Rey on there for the focus bank instead and save a point, or Rey and Kyle Katarn for 30 points.

To be clear, I'm not saying this build is the most optimal U-wing build and I'm also not claiming this particular build would be amazing.  Only that, if you want a ship with a near-white stop in xwng 1.0, this is a pretty good equivalent on a pretty good support ship, (via Saw's ability).  

26 minutes ago, MyPalValen said:

Only that, if you want a ship with a near-white stop in xwng 1.0, this is a pretty good equivalent on a pretty good support ship, (via Saw's ability).  

Wouldn't it be unique in 1.0 though? That makes it quite a different proposition. A white stop would be generic, so you simply sit everyone in the corner with arcs out and your whole squad becomes impossible to dodge or out manoeuvre. Quite possibly the epitome of NPE, lol. 

My boys really like the rare moves. If they can stop, they'll dial it in on the 1st turn every time :D

The only reason they're interested in the Quadjumper is because it can reverse.

20 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Still, well if I am going to strike a match in this tinderbox. :P

Disclaimer: This video is the opinion of the person that made the video and does not reflect the opinions of the person that posted it here.

tl;dw.  Is there a written version?