Sign in to follow this  
NeonWolf

Charge Into Battle Announcement

*Sigh*

I get it, I do. Businesses are designed to make money, I work for one. But this seems, I dunno, too much? I'd be curious to see what their costs vs. returns look like on this in 12 months. They look cool but I won't be buying any. Unless they come with battle cards which would just be silly.

21 minutes ago, Crawfskeezen said:

*Sigh*

I get it, I do. Businesses are designed to make money, I work for one. But this seems, I dunno, too much? I'd be curious to see what their costs vs. returns look like on this in 12 months. They look cool but I won't be buying any. Unless they come with battle cards which would just be silly.

Don't see the issue here. For many miniature games pre-sculpted bases are common upgrades. Look at 40k with GW products and so so many third party bases out there.  I'm really tempted by these.

this is one of those things they should have done from the get-go

People who even care about painting/basing are already done/mostly done with their army. They aint gonna rip it off that nicely done base to put it on these bases..
Heck, i got royally pissed at GW when they made me rebase my Crisis Suits because the size went up (by quite a freakin' bit).

Edited by Vineheart01

Just now, Buckaroo said:

Don't see the issue here. For many miniature games pre-sculpted bases are common upgrades. Look at 40k with GW products and so so many third party bases out there.  I'm really tempted by these.

Fair enough. I come from 40k which is maybe why I'm not a fan. If you're building and painting your own models then making a base to suit your army's scheme is like 3% more work. 

It's a good idea. Basing and, in particular, good basing is quite tedious. Having a grab n go base makes the hobby aspect substantially easier if you can keep them in stock.

As someone who's done a lot of commission painting, anything that gives you a high quality return for a low time investment is a must for large projects.

32 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

this is one of those things they should have done from the get-go

People who even care about painting/basing are already done/mostly done with their army. They aint gonna rip it off that nicely done base to put it on these bases..
Heck, i got royally pissed at GW when they made me rebase my Crisis Suits because the size went up (by quite a freakin' bit).

This. Having already painted 6 Rebel troopers, 1 Fleet Trooper, 4 Stormtroopers, 1 SnowTrooper, Luke, Veers & Leia (with another Fleet Trooper on the way), these MIGHT be a little late...

Yeah this should have been done at launch, would have sold like hot cakes. Then for those of us who would have used them- we'd have plenty of normal bases left to put custom stuff on. Conveniently Im working on an industrial/ Imperial base board so I'll most likely be swapping majority of my minis over to these, we'll see how easy they come off.

I get that it might have been a stretch to put these out at launch, but an announcement would have been nice back in March or shortly there after so we could have anticipated a bit.....you're dropping the ball again FFG! 

7 minutes ago, Bojanglez said:

This. Having already painted 6 Rebel troopers, 1 Fleet Trooper, 4 Stormtroopers, 1 SnowTrooper, Luke, Veers & Leia (with another Fleet Trooper on the way), these MIGHT be a little late...

Eh, like I understand, but if given the choice in production priorities between this and gameplay expansions, I'd say FFG made the right call.

I'm kind of excited about this.  So far, I've focused all my painting and hobby energy on my Imperials, mostly because I hadn't decided on a theme or paint scheme for my Rebels.  To me, these don't necessarily have to be indoors or starship/Death Star interior.  I bet with some weathering and rust, I could pull off a Coruscant/futuristic urban look with these that might be a fun way to do my Rebels.

5 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Eh, like I understand, but if given the choice in production priorities between this and gameplay expansions, I'd say FFG made the right call.

I have to agree with this.

I am no likely to be getting these given all the work I have done so far (even if my bases are not terrain decorated), and I am glad FFG prioritized actual unit expansions to this.

Wow ... 

Talk about horrific timing.  Agree with all the thoughts ...

Probably should have been available from Day One

So glad I ran out of primer and did not base my Fleet Troopers

I like them, but getting them will depend on future releases. My bases are already slightly different based on the squad (Snowtroopers have snow, Vader is uniquely Vader). For example, I would get these for imperial Navy troops.

They're very nice and competitively priced with similar things available elsewhere.  Of course, the game has completely non-standard base sizes so they don't actually work with any other game, but they're still a nice option I would have been far more interested in a couple months ago.

Oh, bonus points for the excellent firing arcs on the larger bases.  Those are very nicely done.

2 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

assuming there are production constraints, then I agree (i.e., there are only a limited number of factories that can produce their stuff), but we have no evidence that they WERE forced to prioritize and sure, Legion is going to pick up a LOT more fans along the way, doesn't mean that those of us who were early adopters wouldn't have liked to be able to stick these on their minis.

it's not a big deal as more stuff is coming out but again, simply saying "they had no choice" when we don't actually know anything of the sort doesn't mean that they didn't lose at least some revenue from the early adopted crowd.

1 hour ago, Doctor Stuff said:

I get production priorities, but I would have preferred this and an outdoor version were available at launch.

bingo

Edited by Bojanglez

I might consider these for a future army, say Scum and Villainy, Grand Army of the Republic, CIS, etc, but I recently finished magnetizing my Legion minis for ease of transport. So it's not just a matter of removing the model, but also the magnet if I want to reuse it. So I either have to destroy the old bases, so I can't use them for custom objectives and the like, put in a fair amount of work to remove the magnet from the underside, or find a new use for all 80 FFG infantry bases that have magnets in them... not to mention the larger bases. 

So yeah. I like the idea, and understand that they may not have been ready right away, but I think FFG missed out on a fair bit more money by releasing them now. I'm sure they will still sell fairly well, perhaps even for other games that have similar sized bases, especially as right now, these are the only way to get spare bases. People wanting to do custom work will be customers as well as people wanting to rebase their army.