Sign in to follow this  
keltheos

Deluxe bases announced

Yeah, just got all my bases magnetized for transport and don't want to have to redo that either. I'd imagine people who have painted models are even less interested. 

Also, the arcs look fairly difficult to distinguish, would have to see them in person though. Plus, I prefer exterior textures on bases, my FLGS has more terrain for woods, plains, and deserts than industrialized areas/the inside of a base. 

Yeah, these bases would be great for an in door game like Imperial Assault. They are cool just the theme doesn't fit the game. Very odd. I do get the feeling we will be seeing more of these in the future though and they do look good. Looking forward to more applicable bases.

7 minutes ago, Mep said:

Yeah, these bases would be great for an in door game like Imperial Assault. They are cool just the theme doesn't fit the game. Very odd. I do get the feeling we will be seeing more of these in the future though and they do look good. Looking forward to more applicable bases.

How does the theme not fit the game?

2 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

How does the theme not fit the game?

Interior floor paneling in a game that is almost exclusive set up out doors. I am not saying one couldn't design terrain for an indoor setting, like a ship bay, just people typically don't. Desert or snow or forest or wreckage theme would find a place easier with everyone's current tables.

1 hour ago, Makwiesel said:

I can get them and just flock them like any other base- to me it gives me bases to work with for conversions and creations.  I'm happy with this.  

At some point FFG will hopefully release untextured bases for cheaper. Alternately, you might be able to find untextured bases from other companies with the same dimensions.

Meh. They're very specific, unlike a generic mid-town brown/tuft base. And painting them to look good will probably take more time and effort than just painting a normally textured base. Plus you can already get flat bases for Legion from many places, and some places are starting to offer textured bases in the Legion sizes. I'd rather have the Micro Art Studios desert bases than these. Kinda like GW, FFG are trying to offer the 'complete' wargaming experience by using their special dice, providing their own mats and terrain (there'll be more FFG terrain coming, for sure) but there's already so many more, better, cheaper options out there when it comes to peripherals. Not interested in these bases in the slightest.

The bases are a nice option to have for those who want a ship/base floor style. That seems to be a decent proportion of players, judging by the number of people I have seen asking how to make such bases, or the number who already have. It will be most useful for new players, of course. I have already decided on a basing scheme but, if these bases were 32mm sized, I would almost certainly pick some up for a non-Legion project.

31 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

One of the issues is the base height matters for official events at least (since LOS is from the top of the model), and many of the clear bases are just flat. Might be an issue depending on the TO. 

From the OP rules: "use bases to significantly alter their size, height, or shape." 

6 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Prime Grey, Highlight grey, metal, rust wash? You could every base your army will ever need in an hour and it will look good.

Yeah, those would be pretty easy to paint, especially with an airbrush.  Cool for a ship interior look.

The timing is a little odd.  I definitely don’t have any interesting in rebasing all my stuff.

Its nice that they are showing some interest in supporting the hobby aspect.  Hopefully we start seeing more customization options with the kits themselves, like arm/head swaps or even some designs that are more poseable.

4 minutes ago, Orkimedes said:

Its nice that they are showing some interest in supporting the hobby aspect.  Hopefully we start seeing more customization options with the kits themselves, like arm/head swaps or even some designs that are more poseable.

Customization options in the kits themselves aren't super likely in my opinion. Extra plastic inside the box that is just going to end up in a bits box is an added expense to the company for not a lot of added profit. It's not like FFG has a bunch of competition in the Star Wars miniatures department. 
I think third party producers are the way to go, the company doesn't incur extra costs, and still sells the base models that get subsequently converted. 

Just now, MasterShake2 said:

Prime Grey, Highlight grey, metal, rust wash? You could every base your army will ever need in an hour and it will look good.

In an hour, you ain't making it look good. There's a bunch of detail on there that is asking for attention, highlights that want to be applied, various colours to make the parts distinct without being jarring, effects such as chipping, rust, oil, etc. 

As opposed to just drybrushing light brown over dark brown, and applying flock/tufts.

Yeah, you can just drybrush these bad boys too, but they won't give the same results. 

8 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

One of the issues is the base height matters for official events at least (since LOS is from the top of the model), and many of the clear bases are just flat. Might be an issue depending on the TO. 

From the OP rules: "use bases to significantly alter their size, height, or shape." 

Yeah, I'd argue that using 3mm MDF or acrylic instead of the normal bases falls WELL within the category of "insignificant alteration".

2 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

Yeah, I'd argue that using 3mm MDF or acrylic instead of the normal bases falls WELL within the category of "insignificant alteration".

I assume the official bases are around 3mm high (I haven't checked personally), but as long as the height difference is some small fraction of 1mm, I can't imagine that would be considered a problem by any reasonable person. 

6 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Customization options in the kits themselves aren't super likely in my opinion. Extra plastic inside the box that is just going to end up in a bits box is an added expense to the company for not a lot of added profit. It's not like FFG has a bunch of competition in the Star Wars miniatures department. 
I think third party producers are the way to go, the company doesn't incur extra costs, and still sells the base models that get subsequently converted. 

You don’t actually have to even put extra plastic in the box.  Even just making it so that you can put different arms/heads on different torsos within the same kit would be something.  

I’m not expecting a crazy number of options like GW kits, but even something where the kit comes with 5 torsos, 5 heads and 10 arms, and you can mix and match to make your dudes all look different, would be something.  Right now it takes a fair amount of effort to get around the current mono-pose setup where all four of your rebel trooper squads look identical.

Also I would argue they are competing with non-Star Wars miniatures games.  I am a 40k convert myself and would certainly value some nicer kits.

Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

I assume the official bases are around 3mm high (I haven't checked personally), but as long as the height difference is some small fraction of 1mm, I can't imagine that would be considered a problem by any reasonable person. 

Anything under 15mm  or so I consider to be insignificant. I'm fairly generous that way though, but I expect most people's tolerance for what constitutes a significant alteration is around 3mm-5mm. I couldn't imagine someone busting out the calipers and deciding that since their opponents Vader model is 2.6mm taller (or shorter) than the stock model, that it has been significantly altered and is illegal for tournament play. Well, that's not true. I've met some absolute, neckbeards in the wargaming hobby, so I CAN imagine that, but I also don't have time to waste playing against opponents like that so I think their opinions can be safely ignored.

Just now, Orkimedes said:

You don’t actually have to even put extra plastic in the box.  Even just making it so that you can put different arms/heads on different torsos within the same kit would be something.  

I’m not expecting a crazy number of options like GW kits, but even something where the kit comes with 5 torsos, 5 heads and 10 arms, and you can mix and match to make your dudes all look different, would be something.  Right now it takes a fair amount of effort to get around the current mono-pose setup where all four of your rebel trooper squads look identical.

Also I would argue they are competing with non-Star Wars miniatures games.  I am a 40k convert myself and would certainly value some nicer kits.

Agreed. The kits are nice, but they aren't a patch on GW models, although I think that's as much a result of their medium of choice (that resin/plastic stuff they use, instead of normal modelling plastic). Even just having ball and socket style joints so you could mix and match heads and arms would be nice.

Edited by Chucknuckle

9 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

In an hour, you ain't making it look good. There's a bunch of detail on there that is asking for attention, highlights that want to be applied, various colours to make the parts distinct without being jarring, effects such as chipping, rust, oil, etc. 

As opposed to just drybrushing light brown over dark brown, and applying flock/tufts.

Yeah, you can just drybrush these bad boys too, but they won't give the same results. 

My definition of Good is "significantly above tabletop quality" and you can totally get that in an hour.

-Priming takes a few minutes, ususally no more than 5, go do some chores or play games while it drys

-Drybrushing about 10-15 dependign on how good of coverage you're looking for

-Picking out the metal gratings and pieces is the most time consuming part, ballpark 20 minutes, maybe 30, I'd have to look closer at them.

-Picking out some rust no more than 10

-final wash of aggrax earthshade, about another 10

Roughly an hour

-Personally I like lining the base black, if you choose to add that, it's about 30 minutes or so to do an army's worth of bases

so about an hour and a half for a cleaner look

If you want a display piece, you could do more in depth highlighting and try to pick out details and use brighter colors, but for an entire army?  Nah, even if you go that far, the overwhelming majority of people won't notice a difference.  Then again, that's the #1 rule of painting anything:  figure out what ratio of Time:Results is acceptable. 

Just now, Orkimedes said:

I don't have any experience with modeling and posing, but I'd imagine that it is fairly difficult to find 8 different poses that would work with every set of arms/heads in the box. They also may have a harder time getting such a kit approved by the powers that be, since the IP holder would have to be comfortable with how every variation looks. This is a similar issue many wargamers have with all metal forces. Mostly they get around it with differences in basing and painting, and otherwise just accept it and move on. After all, at tabletop distances, minor variations end up blending together quite a lot anyway in my experience.

I agree there is competition there, BUT they have the massive leg up due to the highly recognizable and popular IP. I've played 40k and Bolt Action, enjoyed personalizing my minis, but there is something to be said about being able to get an entire squad built really fast since it's single pose. Warmahordes has been single pose for years, yet it still seems to be fairly successful. GW is also releasing more and more of their "snap fit" kits, and all of Warlord's recent plastic releases have had the weapons molded attached to the arms. More and more it seems that the average customer actually wants less options, to be able to put models together, and have them look nice without dealing with fiddly bits. 

Luckily, I have a TON of spare WW2 bits sitting around from my Bolt Action sprues. The scales is close enough for pouches and equipment, plus the movies used a ton of WW2 surplus weapons and equipment as props. So once I get some more time I'll start adding extra kit to help differentiate, although I think subtly different paint jobs will help with that endeavour greatly. 

25 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I don't have any experience with modeling and posing, but I'd imagine that it is fairly difficult to find 8 different poses that would work with every set of arms/heads in the box.

Well, even if they just did a ball joint at the head and a flat joint at the shoulder, that would make a pretty big difference in options.  I don't think that would be too hard conceptually, but maybe it doesn't cast easily with the resin/plastic mix they chose.