Deuzerre

Trying to fight off an imperial list

I'm really struggling against a veers + 6 stormtroopers with DLT + 3 bikes army (some minor upgrades to fill points) and was trying to figure out some ways to fight them.

I thought of the triple flamethrower, but with the DLTs they often hit their damage threshold and thus generally either can't move and shoot, have no flamer to shoot, or become rather unreliable. Especialyl with aim+shoot when you're within range or regular guns, the crits happen quite often. And the bikes just shred them to pieces.

I thought of long range duel with AT-RTs with lasers, but he has a better volume of fire than me overall

I thought of leia to orbital strike the bikes early on but it generally sin't enough to get enough damage to weaken them enough.

I thouht of fleet troopers but heh, the opponent isn't dumb and knows how to slow them down even with good terrain: His bikes generally do the trick of adding suppression.

I thought of Luke but, well, he only can do so much.

Thing is, against that list, everything's high priority, and I don't know what to go for. He has the range advantage, forcing me to get to him, he can cover all objectives...

The only time I manage to beat him was with disarray deployment...

How does his army generally deploy? If he were to go symmetrical on battlelines  I'd probably use a refused flank, falling back one side while my heavy hitters redeploy and reinforce a push on the other.  The length of the table means that one of his flanks wouldn't be firing while your force concentrates one section of the line. 

To be honest, there are so many variables it's hard to give solid advice.  Having a smaller force gives you more room to maneuver in, better use of cover and more focused application of force.  Play to those strengths.

He generally packs his DLT squads together an has the bikes on a separate flank, making it rather easy to actually dominate two parts of the map (one wit the bikes and one with the DLT spam).

If I get in, I get shredded. The bikes easily outmanoeuver the forces (unless it's the long march) because standby even from fleet troopers is so easily broken. all he has to do is do a slow crawl forwards to dominate an area because he can jsut focus fire stuff with his DLTs.

I feel like a rabbit looking at car lights with this.

The bikes are going to cause casualties.  I think you might just have to take those hits and slap them back harder.  Standby isn't going to work. 

I tend to deal with bikes by waiting til they're in range and then rushing them but that's two squads, not three. Double move at the bikes toward the end of a turn and ambush them with a shotgun or two.  Or 'My ally is the force/ no time for sorrows could help out perhaps?'  

I know it's no help now but turrets may be handy in the future

I just wish they had a mortar of sorts for indirect fire.

Right now I jsut can't win against these guys... Maybe with commandos and their bombs to kill off the bikes or something.

Personally I've found that Z-6 troops with an aim token or an ATRT with a rotary cannon chew bikes up. It is also the one time that troops can really benefit from standby actions because you can take advantage of the speeders' compulsory move range and get to a spot where you'll force them into getting shot at. Also both Luke and Leia can do some serious damage to them. Leia's Sharpshooter 2 is no joke and, with luck, she can drop a bike in a single shot.

It's those darn AT-STs that I can't reliably deal with...

Edited by AlKusanagi

26 minutes ago, AlKusanagi said:

Personally I've found that Z-6 troops with an aim token or an ATRT with a rotary cannon chew bikes up. It is also the one time that troops can really benefit from standby actions because you can take advantage of the speeders' compulsory move range and get to a spot where you'll force them into getting shot at. Also both Luke and Leia can do some serious damage to them. Leia's Sharpshooter 2 is no joke and, with luck, she can drop a bike in a single shot.

It's those darn AT-STs that I can't reliably deal with...

I play Empire only, but I can confirm that the Z-6 can eat through bikes fast. Bring one bike down and they become much less of a threat. Making them take fire from 2-3 units is a good way to give them second thoughts. I know I try to avoid being in range/los with multiple units at a time when using them. 

If you kill a biker and drop an ion token on the survivor he's not going to be doing much and tends to be easy meat next turn.  It's probably not worth taking an ion weapon for this purpose, but if you have them around anyway they're useful in that you don't have to concentrate all your fire on one unit which may be helpful if you're fighting six bikers.

Heavy Cover and dodging helps a lot vs bikes. You have to weather 18 dice, with heavy cover and a nimble dodge you're negating 9 hits. Natural crits aren't something you can control ofc, you just have to pray you save against them. Here are some ideas.

Leia goes ASAP, granting dodge tokens to the most vulnerable squads.
Activate those troops which are the most vulnerable first if they can get into cover, or last if they are already in cover and dodging to get damage in on bikes that approach them. As Qwrety already said, punish them with multiple Z6 units. Games where I have the most success vs bikes are games where they lose 1 or 2 in the first round of engagement by punishing them this way. Try really hard to kill one bike, then move on to the next full squad. Once they are down to half strength, they will not be able to damage dodging units in heavy cover barring natural crits. Protect your Fleets with Luke and abuse LOS as much as possible. If Leia can shoot a bike she has a very good chance to kill one outright.