RStan

Fast Enough - Lando's Falcon 2nd Ed

37 minutes ago, Kleeg005 said:

My thought on this is that it really and finally and completely renders the JM5K totally, absolutely, beyond useless.  I mean, not a big deal?  I never really flew the Jumpmaster?  But ****, can you make it any more plain that the JM5K is beyond dead?  That you want us all to burn that model?  Really?  Just say it in plain words?

It is not enough that the Jumpmaster was nerfed into balance in 1.0.

I want to see it utterly and completely destroyed. I want all memory of it's power forgotten to history and with no chance of it ever rising again. What is dead must never rise again.

The Jumpmaster must be crushed, driven before us, and we must hear the lamentation of its women.

Edited by Derpzilla88

8 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

Sorry, I must have missed it. Where did it list the point cost of the jumpmaster and this new YT scum ship? Because you certainly wouldn’t be able to make this argument without knowing those, so I’m sure you’ve seen them, correct? Let me know where you found them as I’m looking forward to reviewing them as well.

Let's perform a thought exercise.  The 1.0 version of the HWK-290.  Arguments have been made for its having the worst dial in the game.  Definitively the worst attack value in the game.  Cheap enough, yes, and with some truly amazing pilot abilities, especially for the those point costs.  But even with a full suite of decent upgrades and a still relatively cheap overall squad cost, you almost never saw them fielded, and even more rarely competitively, because there was always another ship out there that performed the same basic functions better. 

Now we look at the JM5K.  The new dial is deeply challenging, the action bar is stunningly red, and the "turret" may as well be a fixed arc.  I'll grant it hasn't been fully spoiled, and it may indeed have an insane suite of upgrade slots and only cost 10 points, but in the end will it actually be worth flying the JM5K instead of virtually any other large or medium base scum ship?

Okay.  Yes.  I get your angry sarcastic response to my angry sarcastic response.  We're all up to here with salt.  2.0 is a breath of fresh air and I can't wait.  Really, I can't.  I apologize for my crankiness, especially since the JM5K is a ship I have flown maybe six times in three years.  But at the same time, the stated aims of 2.0 more and more frequently not matching up with the observable facts.  I remain excited for 2.0, but doubt is creeping in.

33 minutes ago, Kleeg005 said:

My thought on this is that it really and finally and completely renders the JM5K totally, absolutely, beyond useless.  I mean, not a big deal?  I never really flew the Jumpmaster?  But ****, can you make it any more plain that the JM5K is beyond dead?  That you want us all to burn that model?  Really?  Just say it in plain words?

Please burn all the jumpmaster models you see.  That toilet seat was literally the worst thing to ever happen to the game.  It's a shame that they even bothered with a second edition version of it.

9 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

I'm confused as to why it has the double turret arcs, given that Lando's Falcon has the stock YT-1300 armament of only a single turret.

No; it has two turrets. Just that they're single laser cannons as opposed to the later quads.

13 minutes ago, Hylian100 said:

No; it has two turrets. Just that they're single laser cannons as opposed to the later quads.

Ah, cool.  If that's the case though, I wonder why nobody else used the other turret even though there were, like, 5 people on the ship.

1 hour ago, markcsoul said:

Technically Solo is closer to ROTS  (9 years) than to ANH (10 years).

That and other factors virtually guarantees prequel factions in the future. Hopefully sooner than later. 

Regardless of where it falls between the other films, Solo still clearly takes place during the era of the Empire.

Edited by DarthEnderX

5 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

do we know the jm5k's base size?

All we know is it's significantly worse, but it's getting torps back. If it's cheaper to boot, it'll see play.

I thought someone mention somewhere it is a medium base, but I am not sure where I heard that.

1 hour ago, Ixidor said:

I don't entirely mind that it's 2-attack. Fits the lore. Curious to see how much the escape shuttle helps and whether it can dock in game or only starts docked like the Hound's Tooth.

The escape shuttle has a printed forward arc. I assume this will mean it has some level of attack value.

Be curious to see if Lando's version of the Falcon has extra upgrade slots that Han basically destroyed or hard-wired when he took over the ship.

Correct me if I’m wrong ‘cause I know you will but I thought on the unboxing video (rebels) they said that docking will be both ways for the Ghost. Docking  and undocking would be different and that included others. Not sure if it included the pup or if that is only like an escape pod for the Hounds tooth

10 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

do we know the jm5k's base size?

All we know is it's significantly worse, but it's getting torps back. If it's cheaper to boot, it'll see play.

Pretty certain it is large. 

20 minutes ago, Kleeg005 said:

Let's perform a thought exercise.  The 1.0 version of the HWK-290.  Arguments have been made for its having the worst dial in the game.  Definitively the worst attack value in the game.  Cheap enough, yes, and with some truly amazing pilot abilities, especially for the those point costs.  But even with a full suite of decent upgrades and a still relatively cheap overall squad cost, you almost never saw them fielded, and even more rarely competitively, because there was always another ship out there that performed the same basic functions better. 

Now we look at the JM5K.  The new dial is deeply challenging, the action bar is stunningly red, and the "turret" may as well be a fixed arc.  I'll grant it hasn't been fully spoiled, and it may indeed have an insane suite of upgrade slots and only cost 10 points, but in the end will it actually be worth flying the JM5K instead of virtually any other large or medium base scum ship?

Okay.  Yes.  I get your angry sarcastic response to my angry sarcastic response.  We're all up to here with salt.  2.0 is a breath of fresh air and I can't wait.  Really, I can't.  I apologize for my crankiness, especially since the JM5K is a ship I have flown maybe six times in three years.  But at the same time, the stated aims of 2.0 more and more frequently not matching up with the observable facts.  I remain excited for 2.0, but doubt is creeping in.

If Jan Ors was 19 points I would have played her all through 1.0.

First: I loved the movie! Yes is not harrison Ford, but if after 5 minutes into the film my mind forgot that he wasn't Ford, then I guess Alden Ehrenreich did a good job.

On topic:

Why use the jmk5 instead? The answer are plenty: probably cheapper, has Barrel Roll (thus a better bloquer), has torpedos (that are much more usefull in 2.0). The Falcon is going to be a more durable platform, it will have more uptime on the enemies (double arc + white action to move arc) and may be able to dodge some arcs thanks to boost.

I belive the falcon would see more competition from the Hound's thoot for a role that with the jmk5

36 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Ah, cool.  If that's the case though, I wonder why nobody else used the other turret even though there were, like, 5 people on the ship.

Regardless of where it falls between the other films, Solo still clearly takes place during the era of the Empire.

Two of them were injured, one was assisting the injured/doing other tasks, two of them were piloting the ship, and that left only one to man the turret?

Alternate answer: Beckett was the only one on the ship with ranks in Ranged (Gunnery).

Edited by PhantomFO

16 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

Two of them were injured, one was assisting the injured/doing other tasks, two of them were piloting the ship, and that left only one to man the turret?

Alternate answer: Beckett was the only one on the ship with ranks in Ranged (Gunnery).

Your alternate answer is incorrect, the skill is Gunnery (Ag)...

I'm weirdly excited for the new Falcon. I say weirdly because I haven't seen the movie yet and I didn't see the need for redesigning it this way, but I like it all the same. I don't know if it would be legal in a tournament since this is technically a new ship, but I'd love to see this flown for the Rebels (maybe even paint the blue panels red).