Sacred Sanctuary seems pretty fair. As Air you're competing with a free fate, but I imagine it pays for itself when you get to ready and reuse a monk. At worst, you probably have a 2-strength monk around that can defend without bowing that makes up for its low province strength, but unless you're readying someone sometimes or reusing a high-cost monk, you'd rather get the fate from Manicured Gardens.

But those are pretty easy conditions to fulfill. I like it a lot.

Actually, I found that the fate off of manicured isn't needed in monks most of the time, so I've been running fertile fields because I can always use the draw, whereas I have had several games where my fate advantage builds  to a ridiculous level because I just don't have enough stuff to spend it on, last night I even lost a game where I was ending dynasty phases after buying my entire board with 10+ fate. Of course part of that loss was because the dude nob sac'd my Tadakatsu early, and I had a couple of turns with just crap flops where buying my board didn't really mean much of anything in the late game, so them's the breaks and all that.

As far as the usefulness goes, it depends a bit on how they rule valid targets. If they rule it like mantra of water, where the target MUST be bowed or the gamestate isn't considered changed, despite the draw, then it is less useful than it could have been. However if they rule it the way I HOPE they do, where the immunity to future bows is considered a sufficient change in the game state, then it'll definitely be really good, as the target won't have to be bowed already, that's just a bonus ready action. I do think it synergizes really well with the way I play my monks right now, and I will definitely be testing it at the very least, see if it shakes out. I have high hopes, but am also prepared for the distinct possibility that the 2 strength is too much of a weakness to get around.

This doesn't need a ruling, you can use it on a ready monk. To be a legal target the monk in question just needs to be able to be affected by the ability; Mantra of Water only readies the monk, so an already ready monk can't be affected and isn't a legal target. In this case, however, the ability readies and also applies a lasting effect to the target, so even if the monk is already ready it will still be affected by some of the ability.

20 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I'd be wary of having too many "when revealed" provinces in your back row.  Sure a monk focused deck will probably try this, but, I think getting an extra fate or an extra card each time is the right call

It is a reaction to an attack being declared there, Just as Secret Cache is. The fact this can go off multiple times a game is really good. Especially since they hint dropped Mitsu. 

Edited by cforfar

2 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Maybe once the Monk character pool improves this will be decent, but for now its just a little to thin to see running this reliably at 2 strength.

They are definitely going to be getting monks this cycle with all but Mitsu confirmed at this point. Plus putting a Seal of the Dragon on Yukuni or Sumiko is nuts.

2 minutes ago, cforfar said:

They are definitely going to be getting monks this cycle with all but Mitsu confirmed at this point. Plus putting a Seal of the Dragon on Yukuni or Sumiko is nuts.

The issue is 2 province strength.  Dragon already have a sketchy row with Resto, Shameful and Feast all being three so adding an easy break that may not give you a benefit depending on what cards you have in play seems like a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

The issue is 2 province strength.  Dragon already have a sketchy row with Resto, Shameful and Feast all being three so adding an easy break that may not give you a benefit depending on what cards you have in play seems like a bad idea.

True, it might make players think about a different back row though. That new Alchemist character they are getting can replace Shameful Display especially if you Way of the Dragon her and can then use Pilgrimage instead. I agree, the monks are not quite there, but I am hopeful for this pack to change that. 

1 hour ago, cforfar said:

It is a reaction to an attack being declared there, Just as Secret Cache is. The fact this can go off multiple times a game is really good. Especially since they hint dropped Mitsu. 

Oh cool.I thought the translated one said when revealed......much better of course and pretty much makes a monk deck very capable at defending without spending a lot of fate on characters.  

My monk deck currently runs pilgrimage under the box, with resto, night raid, public forum, and fertile fields on the row. Fields over garden because I found that I really didn't need the extra fate, but the card draw is always good.

Considering all the shenanigans that I currently run to be in as many conflicts as possible, having this one more seems super good, and it looking like an easy target with an annoying ability means they will want to target it, and I can easily make them regret it, esspecially with some of the other stuff that's dropping this cycle. Hawk tattoo is also going to add to my be everywhere tactic, plus it works as a harpoon, meaning I can use it to help in my war of attrition tactic, draining my opponent's resources while I continue to rack up fate and cards.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:51 PM, Schmoozies said:

Dragon's row isn't sketchy, because 3 of the 5 provinces are gamebreakingly good. Most of the Dragon matches aren't decided by a province race, but by either big tempo/value plays (A voltron being long on board, Restoration discarding 5+ cards, Feast or Famine discarding an important character, Noble Sacrifice hitting a voltroned character, Raitsugu chipping away on important characters etc.). The Dragon provinces are the best way to generate those tempo swings.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:55 PM, cforfar said:

True, it might make players think about a different back row though. That new Alchemist character they are getting can replace Shameful Display especially if you Way of the Dragon her and can then use Pilgrimage instead. I agree, the monks are not quite there, but I am hopeful for this pack to change that. 

If you replace Shameful Display with the Alchemist, you effectivly made your deck worse.

On 6/21/2018 at 1:44 PM, psychie said:

My monk deck currently runs pilgrimage under the box, with resto, night raid, public forum, and fertile fields on the row. Fields over garden because I found that I really didn't need the extra fate, but the card draw is always good.

Considering all the shenanigans that I currently run to be in as many conflicts as possible, having this one more seems super good, and it looking like an easy target with an annoying ability means they will want to target it, and I can easily make them regret it, esspecially with some of the other stuff that's dropping this cycle. Hawk tattoo is also going to add to my be everywhere tactic, plus it works as a harpoon, meaning I can use it to help in my war of attrition tactic, draining my opponent's resources while I continue to rack up fate and cards.

I get it that testing cards is interesting, but the row doesn't look good. Having the ability to play Resto and Feast or Famine in the row is so good right now and Night Raid isn't a good card.