That's largely why I was saying it had a high skill threshold, because if you go for the first decent event played, it allows for being easily baited, whereas if you assume you're being baited and hold onto it you might miss the chance to use it at all, so it'll take lots of practice for people to really get playing it right down, and that combined with all of it's costs and restrictions means it at the very least not restricted list good.

9 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Man, it took me like 5 seconds to see that I was wrong, and the reaction is after the event is resolved. And somehow, you managed to quote me before I edited it out. 

But yeah, not anti let go.

Sorry I'm just that quick.

Dev ruling:

You cannot trigger Mirror's Gaze on Display of power.  You also can't trigger it on Censure, Voice of Honor,  Forged Edict, or other cancels.

Effects of the event need to resolve before Mirror can trigger, and by the time mirror can trigger, there would be nothing there.

No, it confirms lion will get a second stronghold. And if that article from the other day is accurate there will be one more in the last pack, until we get more spoilers we won't know if we're getting any more or not.

30 minutes ago, HamHamJ2 said:

So, does this confirm that all the clans will get a second stronghold?

No, it just confirms what was rumored to be a Unicorn Stronghold with actually be a Lion Stronghold so the Unicorn appear to have gotten the dull end of the straight katana .......again.

Unless they happen to get some sort of new Stronghold of their own

Game Trade Magazine's article about the Elemental Cycle indicates that there is a stronghold coming in the 5th or 6th pack (don't remember which offhand). So there's at least one more SH coming this cycle, could very well be Unicorn. Since we seem to want Unicorn and Lion to be twins lately, maybe they're still getting their original rumored one with needing more participating characters and saccing a cavalry character. 

36 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Game Trade Magazine's article about the Elemental Cycle indicates that there is a stronghold coming in the 5th or 6th pack (don't remember which offhand). So there's at least one more SH coming this cycle, could very well be Unicorn. Since we seem to want Unicorn and Lion to be twins lately, maybe they're still getting their original rumored one with needing more participating characters and saccing a cavalry character. 

I guess it's possible that only Lion and Unicorn could be getting strongholds that in theory at least directly attack Scorpion where it's weakest to try and balance the meta. But if we are getting two strongholds I think there is a good chance of getting one for each clan with only one to open up the field more.

2 hours ago, Barbacuo said:

So... three copies of the SH, 1 extra card per pack, or aditional singletons inside that pack?

“Enter the Elemental Cycle with three copies of twenty-new cards focusing on the most ephemeral element. Explore new Shugenja and Spells revolving around the Air element, a new stronghold, and the first Mantis character to enter the game with Breath of the Kami.”

Seems like we’re gonna have 3 Strongholds. 

Edited by Tabris2k

2 hours ago, Barbacuo said:

So... three copies of the SH, 1 extra card per pack, or aditional singletons inside that pack?

It would be nice to only get one of the stronghold, but that hasn't been how FFG has produced these types of cards in the past besides Disciples of the Void. The extra copies of the new stronghold will just have to sit in the core box with the extra copies of the other strongholds and clan provinces. Just as identities in Netrunner had to do.

I'm surprised no one is freaking out about the mirror, the level of event control from Crane is pretty oppressive. This one affects outside of combat, which is pretty huge.

Edited by Hordeoverseer

1 hour ago, Hordeoverseer said:

I'm surprised no one is freaking out about the mirror, the level of event control from Crane is pretty oppressive. This one affects outside of combat, which is pretty huge.

The number of events Mirror's Gaze can actually copy is actually fairly limited based on conversations between some of the rules people on the Discord and Tyler Parrot.

Additionally, Crane doesn't have a ton of native Shugenja to run it with, though I suppose Scorpion or Phoenix could play the card fairly easily.

That being said, I do think the card is a bit more annoying than people are giving it credit for.

5 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

I think you can assassination in retaliation without losing 3 honour, Way of the Crab without a sacrifice, or Banzai in reaction to Banzai (potentially net zero gain) are a few things that come to mind.

Yes, those are definitely things it can copy, but what opponent is really going to run those events out into a Mirror's Gaze? Especially Way of the Crab which essentially 2 for 1s the Crab player. It will act more as a general deterrent than an actual copy effect a majority of the time.

Just now, psychie said:

Well, I could see being all tricksy and baiting them to copy something that I don't care as much about, like banzai, before a better action like a bow or a kill.

You could do that, but I can't see somebody running this without some sort of counter back up. Crane natively has VoH and could easily splash for Forged Edict. On top of that, if you run any kind of hand peek effect, like Meek Informant or Pol Debate, they'll know exactly what to copy and when.

The Shugenja restriction makes Mirror's Gaze a real problem for crane. Every cost slot has better bushi or courtier's in clan. I doubt you will even see the asahina arrtisan once another 1 drop comes out for us. Now you could build a shugenja heavy deck to run it and cloud the mind, but then your trading out other arguably better cards. It's also expensive, and highly telegraphed. I would be surprised to see many crane running it right now. 

2 hours ago, Hordeoverseer said:

I think you can assassination in retaliation without losing 3 honour, Way of the Crab without a sacrifice, or Banzai in reaction to Banzai (potentially net zero gain) are a few things that come to mind.

Regarding Mirror's gaze... unless something very strange is going on with rulings here, you will still need to meet and pay all non-fate costs related to the copied event and meet all targeting restrictions.  This means 3 honor for copying Assassination, sacrificing a crab personality for Way of the Crab, and most likely failing to find any valid targets for copying Way of the Scorpion.

Thaddok.

PS: This explanation is based on the rulings for the Scorpion personality: Illustrious Plagiarist: https://fiveringsdb.com/card/illustrious-plagiarist

15 minutes ago, Thaddok said:

Regarding Mirror's gaze... unless something very strange is going on with rulings here, you will still need to meet and pay all non-fate costs related to the copied event and meet all targeting restrictions.  This means 3 honor for copying Assassination, sacrificing a crab personality for Way of the Crab, and most likely failing to find any valid targets for copying Way of the Scorpion.

Thaddok.

PS: This explanation is based on the rulings for the Scorpion personality: Illustrious Plagiarist: https://fiveringsdb.com/card/illustrious-plagiarist

Except that Mirror is worded very differently from Plagiarist as it mentions ignoring costs and play conditions which Plagiarist does not.  All Plagiarist does is paste a copy of the events text onto itself as a playable actions (which would include the non-fate costs which are included in the action description.

Everybody is saying that Crane is not gonna run Mirror because they don’t have good Shugenja, but they keep forgetting that we’re receiving a new cycle based around the elements, with spells and Shugenja for every clan, including Crane.

I would be surprised if none of the new Crane Shugenja are good enough to see play, and to allow Crane to run CtM, Mirror, and some of the new spells...

Edited by Tabris2k

41 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Everybody is saying that Crane is not gonna run Mirror because they don’t have good Shugenja, but they keep forgetting that we’re receiving a new cycle based around the elements, with spells and Shugenja for every clan, including Crane.

I would be surprised if none of the new Crane Shugenja are good enough to see play, and to allow Crane to run CtM, Mirror, and some of the new spells...

It's time for Yogo Kikuyo to shine  ! ^^

23 hours ago, psychie said:

No, it confirms lion will get a second stronghold. And if that article from the other day is accurate there will be one more in the last pack, until we get more spoilers we won't know if we're getting any more or not.

Displaying Authority is number 23, the third card in the 2nd set.  To me, this implies that there is a Stronghold at number 21.  And if we have a Stronghold at 1, 21 and 101, we probably have them at 41, 61 and 81 too.