Jump to content
Indy_com

Hold Your Ground + Frontal Assault - New Support Units For Each Faction

Recommended Posts

Eh, alternate sculpts is kind of a whole logistical thing, like Caimheul says. Given how Legion is marketed, it's probably not in it for FFG for the upfront trouble and cost of designing an additional sculpt, getting the molds, clustering up the production run when you can both paint around them, or just suck up your "screen accurate" units can sometimes look out of place. Rarely stopped anything Star Wars. 

FFG is much better off spending those resources on making new whole units/packs, which are probably both more profitable and useful to the game. Since "Emplacement Trooper" is now a whole category, I'm sure that eventually more options will be added which can favor other trooper looks. Like if they ever get around to like the E-WEM turrets from TFU, those might be manned by Scout Troopers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take having a mismatch of uniforms between units over having to buy multiple kits to have all weapons options for a unit. None of FFG's releases have come with completely "spare" plastic. The units have a model for each weapon option they can take, and the spec ops troops are being released with enough models for you to field both the "normal" unit and the heavy weapons team. As far as I saw, there was not another game play reason for them to have 7 models in those kits.

Edited by Caimheul1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I'll take having a mismatch of uniforms between units over having to buy multiple kits to have all weapons options for a unit. None of FFG's releases have come with completely "spare" plastic. The units have a model for each weapon option they can take, and the spec ops troops are being released with enough models for you to field both the "normal" unit and the heavy weapons team. As far as I saw, there was not another game play reason for them to have 7 models in those kits.

There's basically a 4 man squad + heavy weapon and a 2 man squad including a heavy weapon, making 7 guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deuzerre said:

There's basically a 4 man squad + heavy weapon and a 2 man squad including a heavy weapon, making 7 guys.

Yes I know, that's what I was saying. My point was there is no other reason for there to be 7 bodies in the box.

The spare rifleman is only in the kit to allow you to field both a normal squad AND the heavy weapon team out of the same box. There is no additional trooper slot for the squad. They could have just released a 6 man box, so you would either have enough bodies to field the squad or the weapons team, and would need to source a spare body.

This is great, since it saves on extra costs for those of us that want to field both squad of the scout troopers/sabetours and a sniper team in the same list.

Edited by Caimheul1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Scout on the E-Web doesn't make any real sense. Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers and the E-Web all have a red defense die. Scouts have a white defense die plus surge to block. Therefore, I would find it very confusing to see Scouts on that E-Web base. But Stormtroopers would be totally OK for me.

Yes, there are no spare parts in the boxes. Just buy an extra box of Stormtroopers for that conversion and some green stuff. Where is the problem?

Edited by DerBaer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know adding extra sculpts to the units will add cost, but in terms of retail it wouldn't be more that a $1 or two. After all FF is adding posable foils to the new X-wings and prices aren't slated to go up; That is a huge increase in manufacturing and design on something that was already worked. I hope they will reissue the guns with generic Rebel troops/stormtroopers in the future though. It's a small change and they already do something similar with the X-wing elite pilot expansions.

But ultimately I have to say I WANT some e-webs, but I have no plans on buying any when they launch. Most of my group is as focused on the aesthetics of the games we play as we are in the game itself. Also being fans of the series we all recognise the armor and weapons. Simple painting the Snowtroopers would look silly as I'm aware of the other trooper variations already. I've been planning to just paint some basic Stormtroopers as their Shocktrooper counterparts and using the Snowtrooper ruleset found online. I know some people might thing this sounds weird, but I've always built my armies in a congruent way and never just build for stats. I'm just putting it out there that FF might be losing possible sales, because of something that seems small. Again, might seem weird to some, but my friends refused to play Relic Knights when I purposed it, because they weren't fans of the cheesecake-ness of the female figures. I could kinda look past it, but because of Sodapops choice to sculpt the figures that way they lost (at least 3 confirmed,possible more out there) customers. In this situation FF isn't going to sell 4 expansion to me (unknown amount from friends) because two crew members don't mesh with the standard troops in the factions. For us at least that's a deal-breaker.

Edited by Tealadin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tealadin said:

I know adding extra sculpts to the units will add cost, but in terms of retail it wouldn't be more that a $1 or two. After all FF is adding posable foils to the new X-wings and prices aren't slated to go up; That is a huge increase in manufacturing and design on something that was already worked. I hope they will reissue the guns with generic Rebel troops/stormtroopers in the future though. It's a small change and they already do something similar with the X-wing elite pilot expansions.

They actually are jacking up the price of all small shop expansions by $5, which probably covers the s-foils resculpt and increased production costs in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squark said:

They actually are jacking up the price of all small shop expansions by $5, which probably covers the s-foils resculpt and increased production costs in general.

I had not seen any of that yet. The only info I'd heard so far was expecting the $40 starter box to remain the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tealadin Not to mention the profit on the conversion kits is likely going to help make up a lot of the additional cost of the ship redesigns. Relatively speaking, the modelers for X-wing (which may be a different group or employees/contractors) don't seem to have as much work right now as Legion, what with the monthly releases Legion has been pushing out. The time cost of working on a second set of bodies is just as important as the monetary cost, so instead they pushed the cost of time onto only those customers who aren't content with using paint to provide cohesiveness.

PLUS a redesign on the ship gives FFG the chance to sell many of it's customers the "same" model twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

 

PLUS a redesign on the ship gives FFG the chance to sell many of it's customers the "same" model twice.

I think FFG is way past selling the same model twice. For the X-wing, I'm pretty sure they are up to selling the same ship 6 times! ?

In all seriousness though, it does seem like they have (mostly) learned. At least all cards in Legion ( and supposedly X-wing with 2.0) are available to each faction. They do assume players will buy everything for a given faction though, but that's to be expected with a game with constant new releases. It will be interesting when an expansion is released with cards you want to add to other units, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proxy-ed in a 1.2FD in a game last night.  I was able to set in some woods with coverage of 2 objectives with out much trouble.

My opponent sent some bikes to flank it, but it had no issues pivoting over and helping some Fleet Troopers and Leia take out the bikes.  After that I was able to pivot back towards some Stormtroopers near one of the objectives.  Although the heavy cover they were in prevented most of the damage from the turret, 2 rounds of fire from the Barrage Generator had them panic and run away.

All in all I was pretty happy with it and would have been happier with two of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shmitty said:

Proxy-ed in a 1.2FD in a game last night. 

Is that the Range 2 version of the 1.4? ;)

Seriously tho, cool to hear that it felt worthwhile. I'm looking forward to proxying one myself. The Barrage Generator seems like the way to go to make it an all round useful piece.

So you didn't get to make use of its Impact? I'm interested in seeing how valuable that will be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt Antilles said:

Is that the Range 2 version of the 1.4? ;)

Seriously tho, cool to hear that it felt worthwhile. I'm looking forward to proxying one myself. The Barrage Generator seems like the way to go to make it an all round useful piece.

So you didn't get to make use of its Impact? I'm interested in seeing how valuable that will be. 

No Armor to shoot at in the game, so the Impact didn't come up.

The Barrage was a real winner.  The jump from Impact 2 to 3 is not as important as adding in Suppressive.  It really made it a great threat all around.

What was really nice was that I didn't feel like Immobile was a problem at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...