Indy_com

Hold Your Ground + Frontal Assault - New Support Units For Each Faction

Just now, Undeadguy said:

If I'm reading HQ Uplink correctly, you just exhaust to get an order token, which is outside of the orders issued from a commander. Which means any commander card would not interact with HQ Uplink, because the source (commander) is not issuing the orders. 

Seems really good for large vehicles, so you can really put the hurt on a pip 1 bid. 

Most of the commander cards say a unit issued an order, not a unit you issued orders to. It interacts.

Now, you couldn’t use it and issue an order to it from the commander to double activate. 

1.4 fd seems pretty good if deployed right. For 80pts you can get 6 black dice, range 4, crit to hit, impact 3, with 6hp.

Seems like this would kinda push people away from using heavy units even more. Heavy units are already kinda unplayable with the trooper spam lists.

My biggest gripe with either of these is, and I don't care about gameplay being > fluff - they are equal in my opinion, that they use troopers in cold weather gear.   

I get that is what we saw in the movies, fine, but an option for another sculpt would have been nice.

Still, I would have prefereed these had zero people on them and were just the actual weapon that a trooper unit could use.   

1 minute ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

My biggest gripe with either of these is, and I don't care about gameplay being > fluff - they are equal in my opinion, that they use troopers in cold weather gear.   

I get that is what we saw in the movies, fine, but an option for another sculpt would have been nice.

Still, I would have prefereed these had zero people on them and were just the actual weapon that a trooper unit could use.   

Alternate paint schemes really break up that specifically cold weather gear look.  

20 minutes ago, shmitty said:

Assuming that's what Scout-1 does.

I think the Commandos have Scout 2

Oh I see, it's only during deployment. So yea, scout 1 would improve any other scout since keywords stack. 

Web Blaster and Turret are no Trooper units. Read "Trooper" in Rules Reference p. 43: "A trooper is a unit type that consists of one or more miniatures affixed to a small round base." and "Troopers cannot pivot or reverse."

Blaster and Turret shouldn't have "Courage" but "Resilience" that's weird!

I see why the rebel one cant move since thats a turret not a tripod gun but...cant move period and no forward deployment options?

Thats going to be really difficult to utilize. Depending on the battlefield, it could be rendered totally useless. Playing on long edges for instance where theres a bigger gap between the two front linemen...i'd be surprised to see it shoot more than twice. Sure, it has range but walls ftw.

Edited by Vineheart01

1 minute ago, Triangular said:

Web Blaster and Turret are no Trooper units. Read "Trooper" in Rules Reference p. 43: "A trooper is a unit type that consists of one or more miniatures affixed to a small round base." and "Troopers cannot pivot or reverse."

Blaster and Turret shouldn't have "Courage" but "Resilience" that's weird!

It's safe to bet we're getting an update to the RRG before these release to cover Emplacement troopers, Scout, etc.

Just now, Vineheart01 said:

I see why the rebel one cant move since thats a turret not a tripod gun but...cant move period and no forward deployment options?

Thats going to be really difficult to utilize. Depending on the battlefield, it could be rendered totally useless. Playing on long edges for instance where theres a bigger gap between the two front linemen...i'd be surprised to see it shoot more than once.

With any deployment it can still hold range to most objectives.  If you're playing more than one of these getting the right Objective to play will be really important.

40 minutes ago, Crawfskeezen said:

I'm super stoked about the 1.4 FD and the E-web. I've been waiting for emplacements and turrets and it was only a natural progression in the game. The models look beautiful, loving the Hoth feel.

One thing I see both of these units doing is replacing, modifying or improving certain roles that have previously been being filled by other units. Primarily I'm thinking about the 1.4 FD replacing AT-RTs with laser cannons in their "sniper" role.

Pros:

5 black dice vs 1 red, 2 black. Obviously red is better but 2 more dice and the efficient use of aims and standbys can mitigate the percentage loss of hit potential.

Improved Standby range.

More dice from secondary weapon(s).

Can't be damaged; doesn't have resilience. So there's no threat of it completely losing its ability to shoot (it can be suppressed which is a con).

Can be modified to have greater (or equal amount of impact to the AT-RT) anti-armour or anti-infantry capabilities. Though these items do exhaust.

Fewer points 70 vs 90 (even with a generator upgrade, only 80).

Will it be able to capture objectives? Even if these "Emplacement Troopers" can (which is maybe more applicable to the E-web) the 1.4 FD would have to deploy at the exact edge of deployment next to a building with a key positions objective in play. Very situational.

Cons:

Immobile; you can't reposition if necessary so deployment strategy and being subject to the battle cards are considerations. It also makes the unit prone to flanking maneuvers. Good placement during setup will require open fire lanes, preferably a barricade in front of it (if that will provide cover, also remains to be seen). It may require support from another unit to cover its flanks.

Can be suppressed. You're not moving anyway but aim/dodge/standby tokens are key. It also remains to be seen how this will interact with panic.

Poorer melee output/not a real melee threat. But hey, if you're in melee with a 1.4 FD, you're doing it wrong.

What do we think? What other pros and cons do you see?

Mobility is going to be the biggest con here, as opponents will always know where it's range and LOS is, so that's easier to play around. That being said, having 1-3 of these instead of AT-RT's seems to be pretty good at first glace. You can hold down positions fairly well.

29 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

The "Echo base" troopers' tunic could easily be painted into a camo pattern, similar to ponchos used by many armies during WW2. My "Snowtroopers" will already be getting a different paint job than is canon, as are the rest of my Stormtroopers. 

The problem with having no infantry on the base is then it becomes a weapon that requires another trooper unit to be nearby, which makes it more difficult to balance point wise, or the "Emplacement Trooper" type doesn't make as much sense. 

1 minute ago, Mep said:

Remember the game is objective based. Area denial around objectives is exactly what you want. These do that job real nice.

Depending on if "Emplacement Troopers" still count as "Troopers," then they can also hold the objective, unlike vehicles.  

Edited by Caimheul1313

26 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

Alternate paint schemes really break up that specifically cold weather gear look.  

I was gonna say, we've already seen snows turn into galactic marines. The reb's can totaly go with a forest camo or even desert theme with these. You just gotta base accordingly.

7 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Depending on if "Emplacement Troopers" still count as "Troopers," then they can also hold the objective, unlike vehicles.  

Maybe...... It does have "Trooper" in there, so I think it will count. This game doesn't have so many objects that you need to spread your forces thin. So a couple units at an objective isn't a bad thing even if the emplacement some how nullifies trooper.

4 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

You play Breakthrough and stand by to repel ground assault!

What if you dont get breakthrough...increasingly likely with more cards coming soon?

Stand there out of range all game?

Im not trying to be an ****....just genuinely trying to work out if that might be the case sometimes?

Just now, VAYASAN said:

What if you dont get breakthrough...increasingly likely with more cards coming soon?

Stand there out of range all game?

Im not trying to be an ****....just genuinely trying to work out if that might be the case sometimes?

In most of the other missions you will be placing objective tokens ... so place them where you can cover them with an FD. Now you can start the FD way up the board ...