Sign in to follow this  
MythicalMino

beginning gear?

Do characters start out with their "typical trappings"?

In other words, does a waywatcher start out with a longbow, or does he need to buy one?

I couldn't really find anything in the forum search....

Thanks,

Chris

No, he buys all his starting gear with his starting Wealth.  The "Typical Trappings" entry is merely to give players an idea of the gear a typical person in his career would normally use.  I believe that this is clarified in the Errata.

np, I didn't take it that way. I was just being a bit snarky.  I knew when I typed my initial response that I should have looked it up in the errata and provided a reference... but I was too lazy at the time to do so.  So, it was more poking fun at myself for ending up doing it anyways.  lol. gran_risa.gif  No worries.

I was wondering about something related.  I was looking at Gromril Armor in the Adventurer's toolkit, and it's listed in the Iron Breaker's typical trappings, but if it doesn't come as part of the character, does it have to be purchased, or found?  And does the GM just set the price, as I can find no price listed for it anywhere?

The IB's Gromril armor and the SM's Sword of Hoeth are not trappings.  They are the career's bonus card.  As such, they come with the career and are not (normally) purchased.

Bindlespin said:

you can also get gromril armor by convicing another player to make an ironbreaker and then kill their character in their sleep:)

Well, you would then have a pile of scrap metal that weighs a ton and is useless to you. The Gromril armor card states that you have to be an Ironbreaker to gain the benefits of the armor ;).

I don't have the card in front of me, but I don't think that's quite right.  I thought you had to be an ironbreaker to take advantage of the crit cancelling and also it was extra encumbrance or something?  i thought you still got the soak and defence out of it, though.

It's not exactly clear on the card, Just after the soak, defense and encumbrance is given there is a sentence saying:

When worn by anyone but an Ironbreaker, this Gromril Armour's encumbrance is doubled and it offers no other benefit.

The anti-crit property comes after that. So I guess you're right. 14 encumbrance for armor is likely not worth it though. It would also naturally not fit anyone but a dwarf (and for it to be refitted you'd need a dwarven armorsmith), and a dwarf being discovered stealing a set of Gromril armour have exactly 2 options. Die at the spot or die as a slayer later...

gruntl said:

and a dwarf being discovered stealing a set of Gromril armour have exactly 2 options. Die at the spot or die as a slayer later...
What about living as a dishonorable scumbag who has brought shame to his ancestors?

gruntl said:

Well, you would then have a pile of scrap metal that weighs a ton and is useless to you.

worse, when the player whose ironbreaker you killed for the gromril armor that you can't really use makes a new character they are going to try to kill you. so you give them back the armor as a peace offering and the next time you cross a decent river you push them in and the weight of their shiny new gromril will probably drag them to the river bottom and drown them;)

fnord3125 said:

gruntl said:

and a dwarf being discovered stealing a set of Gromril armour have exactly 2 options. Die at the spot or die as a slayer later...

What about living as a dishonorable scumbag who has brought shame to his ancestors?

That dwarf would be added to the Book of Grudges, marked as an outlaw and it would be the responsibility of any dwarf that comes into contact with him to kill him and retrieve the Gromril armour. Dwarven law is even more terse and deadly than Imperial law, crimes of such magnitude are only solved with death. Any other characters hanging around this character might likely find themselves facing a similar fate for aiding an enemy of the dwarf.

So I wouldn't expect the living part to last very long, at least nowhere near other dwarfs, Priest's of Sigmar (who are bound by their faith to aid the dwarf) and for that matter most of the Empire which is dwarf friendly.

Not saying it's impossible, and you make of your games what you will, just that it's something major that would result in dire consequences for all involved.

ummm, i was just making a joke about how to get gear you wouldn't usually start with. i tried to add a lot of ;) 's but it seems like people are getting upset. players who really kill other players to loot their buddies corpses probably don't get asked to come back to the game. or the other player's conspire against him to get their revenge;)

Thats a plan.

Great plot device.

not to mention all of your relatives that would be become Slayer to overcome the stain you put on the family name ... that is until they remove the stain.

( it could be like the movie "Jeremiah Johnson" with dwarfs instead of native Americans)

Lexicanum said:

That dwarf would be added to the Book of Grudges, marked as an outlaw and it would be the responsibility of any dwarf that comes into contact with him to kill him and retrieve the Gromril armour. Dwarven law is even more terse and deadly than Imperial law, crimes of such magnitude are only solved with death. Any other characters hanging around this character might likely find themselves facing a similar fate for aiding an enemy of the dwarf.

So I wouldn't expect the living part to last very long, at least nowhere near other dwarfs, Priest's of Sigmar (who are bound by their faith to aid the dwarf) and for that matter most of the Empire which is dwarf friendly.

Not saying it's impossible, and you make of your games what you will, just that it's something major that would result in dire consequences for all involved.

All interesting stuff!  Though all also things that, I don't believe have been explicated in 3rd edition yet?  I'd also ask whether this Book of Grudges is just a list of known dwarf outlaws or some kind of magical artifact?  If it's the former, than Priests and dwarf friendly Imperial citizens the criminal encounters aren't going to just magically know that he's a criminal.  Also there is the matter that if you kill someone for his armor, he can't really report the crime, can he?

Note that I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequences (and probably pretty dire ones) to actions like that.  There's just some weird (to me, anyway) ideas floating around here about dwarfs and Slayers and such that I don't understand.  Being a PC in an RPG is (usually, at least) about being someone exceptional.

Well, dwarfs are actually pretty weird.

Their whole social structure is based upon the notion that all its members are honorable and trustworthy. It's almost like a society based on the fact that no one ever lies. Hence the punishment for even the smallest of crimes or actions is quite drastic, and the repercussions for falling outside of these cultural expectations are dire indeed. Dwarven culture has to react and deal with any who violate these strictures with great efficiency else the whole thing collapses.

If a dwarf promised to be at his human friend's wedding and the dwarf found his dwarf hold under seige by orcs, he wouldn't be able to stay and fight out the seige. He'd be forced to break the seige, or through whatever means necessary make it to the wedding or die trying.  If a dwarf promised 20 gold for a charitable event, he would give those 20 gold even if they were the last 20 gold in his possession, even if he needed them to save himself from some cruel fate.

This is also compounded by the role the ancestor worship plays in their society. Dwarfs worship their ancestors, not some primordial "gods", but rather other dwarfs that came before them to whom they owe a debt of honor and loyalty. It's really a big deal to be thrown out of the clan and ostracized by society, you have in effect been declared godless as well as an outlaw. There is no law or deity to protect you, and that's a heavy blow. And part of that is to make it possible for others to seek revenge for your acts without being stained by their actions. 

There is no word in Khazalid for forgive (or forgiveness); every dwarf is responsible for his actions no matter the circumstances. Death is an option, and it should be taken if it will preserve those things that are held dear. Instead they have words for retribution, revenge and restitution. But the acts of any being cannot be forgiven and much less forgotten.

The Chaos Dwarfs, for example, were completely written out of history. Whole families erased from the books, and any orphaned dwarfs were added to new clans and families. This coming from a people that venerate their history and dedicate whole sections of their dwarf holds to preserving knowledge and their history. Which might seem like a contradiction, except it really shows how deep the wound this left. It's like how the mind blocks out painful memories, to allow the victim some semblance of sanity.

Dwarfs are strange creatures indeed. Just as alien as Elves in my opinion, if played straight.

Thanks for the info!  But I've still got some issues/confusions with the way you're talking about them.

Lexicanum said:

If a dwarf promised to be at his human friend's wedding and the dwarf found his dwarf hold under seige by orcs, he wouldn't be able to stay and fight out the seige. He'd be forced to break the seige, or through whatever means necessary make it to the wedding or die trying.  If a dwarf promised 20 gold for a charitable event, he would give those 20 gold even if they were the last 20 gold in his possession, even if he needed them to save himself from some cruel fate.
For example, this clearly cannot ALWAYS be true.  If it were, there would be no need for this Book of Grudges or these rules about what happens to a dwarf that breaks his word.  There is nothing actually FORCING the dwarf to break the siege to fulfill his promise to his friend, except the rules about honor and duty and whatnot that have been impressed on him by his culture from birth.  Granted, that's a powerful motivating force, but it doesn't mean there isn't going to the occasional dwarf that says "Stopping these orcs is more important" and stays to keep fighting.  Maybe he hates himself afterward and becomes a Slayer (if that's the kind of thing one might become a Slayer for) but still.

And, as I said before, PCs are generally exceptional in various ways.  And I don't mean exception in the sense of "better" but in the literal sense of being exceptions.  This is due in part to the fact that they're the main characters in the story, and also in part to the nature of players.  Players tend to do whatever the heck they want, and if what they want doesn't jive with how a dwarf "should" behave, that probably isn't going to let them get in the way.  And I'm certainly not going to be the GM that says, "You can't do that!  A dwarf would never do that!"  If it turns out that I'm more familiar with dwarf culture than the player is, I would remind him that he's about to do something that goes against everything his character has been taught, but I'm not actually going to stop him from doing it.